Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Remus "box" that's in really nice shape. My plan is to install it in place of the Sebring "300" "oval" that's currently mounted on my WB. The insides of my Sebring are rusted out and the insulation is free from its prior metal constraints and now pretty much occuopies the entire interior of the box. If you peer into my Sebring's exhaust tips, it looks like a stockhouse for a wig factory :(. Anyway, in comparing the Remus box to the Sebring oval I've noticed that on the Sebring oval the intake pipes are lined up, on all planes, and through the interior of the box, with the exit pipes (tips). On the Remus however, the intake pipes enter the muffler at a point that is much higher than the point at which the exhaust tips exit at the rear. The interior pipes on the Remus follow this higher trajectory through the inside of the box all the way to a point about 2 or 3 inches from the rear of the box. Within these 2 to 3 inches of "free-space", the exhaust air inside the Remus box is forced to zig-zag down in order to exit through the exhaust tips. In fact, if you look inside the Remus through the exhaust tips, it is readily apparent that across these 2 to 3 inches of free space there is only about a 20% overlap (or alignment) between end bore of the incoming pipes and the bore of the exhaust tips. In other words, the lower 20% of the intake pipes align with the upper 20% of the exhaust tip pipes, the remaining 80% of the incoming flow meets the rear wall of the Remus box head on after crossing the 2 to 3 inches of free space. So the Sebring oval would seem to provide a more "straight through" path for the exhaust, whereas the interior design of the Remus box would present more of an impeded path. This might contribute to the difference in exhaust notes as well, but my question is wouldn't this also make the Remus box less of a horsepower liberator than the Sebring oval?

I know a picture's worth a thousand words but I'm at work, bored to tears, ZERO motivation so thank God for the internet!

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
I'm guessing that the Remus box is dialed into the m117 in regards to providing the appropriate back pressure, etc. The Sebring box is far more crude and simple. I'm sure the testing on that box was far less accurate than what Remus is capable of today.

Any plans for your rusted out box? I'd be glad to buy it from you if you plan on swapping.

Jas

·
Premium Member
Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing that the Remus box is dialed into the m117 in regards to providing the appropriate back pressure, etc.
That makes total sense to me. Excellent point.

As for the Sebring, I'll let you know once I've switched them out and would be happy to send it to a fellow enthusiast - the alternative is for it to gather dust and occasional glances in my garage - better for it to see a second life in action.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,808 Posts
Hey, Marco, me thinks your new Remus was from my AMG and has found its way to you! That Remus box has only 20k miles on it before I took it off and had it refinished. I have the original work order invoice when it was installed on my SEL many years, but few miles, ago. Glad it has found a home on such a noteworthy car. (Although, it would be proper to have a true AMG Sebring box on your WB someday - I'll keep an eye out for you...)

Al

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Marco, me thinks your new Remus was from my AMG and has found its way to you! That Remus box has only 20k miles on it before I took it off and had it refinished. I have the original work order invoice when it was installed on my SEL many years, but few miles, ago. Glad it has found a home on such a noteworthy car. (Although, it would be proper to have a true AMG Sebring box on your WB someday - I'll keep an eye out for you...)

Al
Me knows you're right :)

Agreed on the ultimate proper, but right now this delectable Remus will do. Thanks for keeping a lookout!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
As for the Sebring, I'll let you know once I've switched them out and would be happy to send it to a fellow enthusiast - the alternative is for it to gather dust and occasional glances in my garage - better for it to see a second life in action.
Thank you! That would be much appreciated. The resonator has been waiting 2-3 years for a complimentary box :)

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! That would be much appreciated. The resonator has been waiting 2-3 years for a complimentary box :)
No prob!

Out of curiosity, is the resonator just hollow emptiness inside or are there structures/materials in there?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The resonator is the same as the muffler only shorter. It has two 2" perforated pipes with fiberglass packing inside.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
I think you will be very pleased with the exhaust notes, having had both, I like my Remus alot better! ( although the sebring also started falling apart w rust holes and wig stuff coming out ;) )
uploadfromtaptalk1344069784318.jpg

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts

I bought this new one for $1,000 about 5 years ago right after a collapsed deal for a group buy (TALK is *REAL* cheap around here!) wherein Remus in Austria indicated a willingness to produce a limited run of 5 to 7 of them (made and engineered specifically for the W126) at about that price.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1342568-pricing-remus-potential-group-buy.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1349627-remus-exhaust-shops-ready-confirm-group.html

These mufflers were available in any Tire Shops back in 1997 for about $750 when I first looked at them, uuuum, but I had a wife, and well, could not do it then.

~~~~

But I have the one above on my car from about 1998 from a bw member in San Diego who took it off an E500 and it too, has held up perfectly, does not drone at 70 mph and gives an agressive sound in accelleration and kickdown, louder than stock because i got rid of the resonators (they are very heavy!) four years ago.

I ALSO acquired this one (note the oblique exhaust tip cut) last year for the Red Plum. The resonator remains, though, so the sound is quieter aned softer, but DEFINATELY not stock sounding.

They look really sturdy. and for me have performed well over the years and I like the no-nonsense look about them.

Remus promises a dyno tested 2 hp extra for them when you add one.

Fascinating and informative discussion, Marco..thanks for bringing it up that way and your detailed remarks, as well.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Hey, post a pic without the car all jacked up and tustled. Remus looks good when on a normal profile with trunk hood doors closed. Can appreciate the look better IMHO.

Like this one:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
+1. I have a feeling some of those photos will not go over well.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
+1. I have a feeling some of those photos will not go over well.
Nah... It's just how Jim is. You do something nice for him and he throws it back at you and tries to embarrass you is all.

You know, it was a stupid and dangerous thing I did there. To Jim and most of you it's probably a solid 9 on the danger scale, not to mention the stupid scale too. But in my lexicon of "Danger and stupidity" it was about a 3. I wasn't even concerned at first until Jim started opening the doors and rustling around while it was up on the jack. I asked him to stop what he was doing, and move away from the car. He didn't. I had to get out from under the car while he was getting the camera out. At the time I did not know what he was doing and was annoyed that he was jostling the car while I was under there.

Then I got back under there and finished what I was doing and I needed his help and he was all the way against the wall taking pictures. I asked him if he was and he hesitated, I asked him again to stop taking pics of me doing something stupid for him, and come and help me with that task at hand. I needed him to articulate the shifter to see if the gates were lined up. He didn't understand what I wanted him to do, or was unwilling to do, so I had to get out and under much more to align the gates.

As far as my fears, the only time I was ever concerned was when he was jostling the car. I figured most people that say they are "Car Savy" or even an "Expert" would know not to even approach a car up on a jack with someone under it, let alone try to get in the car!

And as far as "Things that scare me" being under a car on a jack (Assuming no one is trying to kill me by getting in it while I'm under it), that fear is pretty low because my job in the Navy was a "Flight Deck Troubleshooter". I was a AT-3 in VS-33 and VS-41. I did two cruises including a world cruise on the USS America. I was a "Green Shirt" T/s on the bow cats. When our planes launched, I was the guy up on the cats as it moved into position to make sure it was safe to fly. You've seen them Jim in the Movie "Top Gun"? Or on the Military Channel? That's right, you didn't serve, did you?

Well in terms of danger that rates a 12! In terms of stupid, hell I've done way stupider! I was walking behind Cat 1 about 100 feet and thought I was far enough back, and an F-14 was under tension and lit up to Zone 5 Afterburners (as they have to do to launch, you know with the flames coming out 50 feet back) and I turned and looked right down the engines and could not breathe. I felt like I waled into a blast furnace! Singed all the hair off what was exposed of my body and scorched my face and hands. Some guys pulled me out. I wasn't across any foul lines, so I wasn't in trouble with the Air Boss, but that wasn't a good place to be during a launch.

Then, when I first got to the squadron and I had just went to the line (Everyone goes to the line first! I hated it! but looking back it was fun a little. I just HATED pumping the APU up to 3000 PSI. So when I first got there they tell you to stay away from the open end of the engines, that they don't just sound like a "Hoover" (our plane's nickname) but it will suck you up from 20 feet away. So we had to do something where I had to open the crew hatch which is right in front of engine 2, and I walked right in front of the intake and started to go in. Alonso pulled me out. I won't ever forget his name or face. Grabbed me right as I was about to go in.

Thanks Alonso, I owe you more than you'll ever know.

That's the stupid stuff. The level of danger I was exposed to in the Navy doing that job is nothing to being under a car with it on a jack. The dangerous part came when he was getting in it so he could later humiliate me.

One other thing Jim: When it first happened, I had asked you to delete those pics, and you said you would. You didn't, and you have used them many times to try and embarrass me. The embarrassment was befriending you in the first place, and risking my life for a "friend" which you are not sir.

So, that's the real embarrassment, to me.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
The bottom line here is, at the time someone was doing a BIG favor for someone else. Could have said "Not my problem, go pay a dealer to install the shifter."

Speaks volumes about the things a friend will do for another, at the time. I know the feeling.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
The living embodiment of a hater.

Nah... It's just how Jim is. You do something nice for him and he throws it back at you and tries to embarrass you is all.

You know, it was a stupid and dangerous thing I did there. To Jim and most of you it's probably a solid 9 on the danger scale, not to mention the stupid scale too. But in my lexicon of "Danger and stupidity" it was about a 3. I wasn't even concerned at first until Jim started opening the doors and rustling around while it was up on the jack. I asked him to stop what he was doing, and move away from the car. He didn't. I had to get out from under the car while he was getting the camera out. At the time I did not know what he was doing and was annoyed that he was jostling the car while I was under there.

Then I got back under there and finished what I was doing and I needed his help and he was all the way against the wall taking pictures. I asked him if he was and he hesitated, I asked him again to stop taking pics of me doing something stupid for him, and come and help me with that task at hand. I needed him to articulate the shifter to see if the gates were lined up. He didn't understand what I wanted him to do, or was unwilling to do, so I had to get out and under much more to align the gates.

As far as my fears, the only time I was ever concerned was when he was jostling the car. I figured most people that say they are "Car Savy" or even an "Expert" would know not to even approach a car up on a jack with someone under it, let alone try to get in the car!

And as far as "Things that scare me" being under a car on a jack (Assuming no one is trying to kill me by getting in it while I'm under it), that fear is pretty low because my job in the Navy was a "Flight Deck Troubleshooter". I was a AT-3 in VS-33 and VS-41. I did two cruises including a world cruise on the USS America. I was a "Green Shirt" T/s on the bow cats. When our planes launched, I was the guy up on the cats as it moved into position to make sure it was safe to fly. You've seen them Jim in the Movie "Top Gun"? Or on the Military Channel? That's right, you didn't serve, did you?

Well in terms of danger that rates a 12! In terms of stupid, hell I've done way stupider! I was walking behind Cat 1 about 100 feet and thought I was far enough back, and an F-14 was under tension and lit up to Zone 5 Afterburners (as they have to do to launch, you know with the flames coming out 50 feet back) and I turned and looked right down the engines and could not breathe. I felt like I waled into a blast furnace! Singed all the hair off what was exposed of my body and scorched my face and hands. Some guys pulled me out. I wasn't across any foul lines, so I wasn't in trouble with the Air Boss, but that wasn't a good place to be during a launch.

Then, when I first got to the squadron and I had just went to the line (Everyone goes to the line first! I hated it! but looking back it was fun a little. I just HATED pumping the APU up to 3000 PSI. So when I first got there they tell you to stay away from the open end of the engines, that they don't just sound like a "Hoover" (our plane's nickname) but it will suck you up from 20 feet away. So we had to do something where I had to open the crew hatch which is right in front of engine 2, and I walked right in front of the intake and started to go in. Alonso pulled me out. I won't ever forget his name or face. Grabbed me right as I was about to go in.

Thanks Alonso, I owe you more than you'll ever know.

That's the stupid stuff. The level of danger I was exposed to in the Navy doing that job is nothing to being under a car with it on a jack. The dangerous part came when he was getting in it so he could later humiliate me.

One other thing Jim: When it first happened, I had asked you to delete those pics, and you said you would. You didn't, and you have used them many times to try and embarrass me. The embarrassment was befriending you in the first place, and risking my life for a "friend" which you are not sir.

So, that's the real embarrassment, to me.
:crybaby2:

Get OVER yourself. For the first time in your whole life.

Your self serving portrait conveniently omits WHO fronted you the entire amount of cash for your 560SEL and the AMG parts in Hemet a couple of years ago; and WHO drove you all the way out to the desert on January 14, 2009 to get them... pic's or it didn't happen:

Sounds like selective amnesia with your typical self-aggrandizing remarks and insults. You are *SO* predictable.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
:crybaby2:

Get OVER yourself. For the first time in your whole life.

Your self serving portrait conveniently omits WHO fronted you the entire amount of cash for your 560SEL and the AMG parts in Hemet a couple of years ago; and WHO drove you all the way out to the desert to get them... pic's or it didn't happen:

Sounds like selective amnesia with your typical self-aggrandizing remarks and insults. You are *SO* predictable.
I did not hurl any insults at you anywhere. I was very careful about not doing that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Answer this question then Jim: Why did you post those pics of me in this thread when you have SOOO many others of your car that do not have me in them? You do NOT have my permission to post my photograph here without my permission whether or not you took it.

I have taken pics of moderators here and they have asked me not to post them, and I haven't, so I'm pretty sure I'm within my rights here.

Side note to Marco....

Sorry for this bro...

Jim, take down the pictures of my car please. You DO NOT have my permission to post my active license plate up. You are violating my privacy and you are violating the TOA here.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I did not hurl any insults at you anywhere. I was very careful about not doing that.
Maybe you can explain these the other day -
In response to a technical correction about incorrect advice you gave:

"Wow. *THIS* from someone who, by his OWN admission has spent over $55,000 in trial and error the past four years correcting his OWN mistakes to get his own car where it is today.

Insults from some people are a predictable response when their outsized collossal egos lead them to believe that their knowledge is perfect, complete and unassailable.

My response was technical. It was not a personal attack but you got defensive and responded, with a typical personal attack.

When you make errors like you did here, do not be surprised and blinded by rage if you are rightfully called out on them by others."

What do you know about the subject Jim??? Absolutely NOTHING. You can't even change your own oil, let alone correct me.

When you figure out how to fix your own car, and have to stop taking it all over the state for others to fix, then you can correct me.

When you even turn a wrench once.... Then you can correct my posts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts