Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

as i had mentioned on other topics i will be respraying my car next month in dark violet (plum) from the E Class avantgarde.

I will be taking this opportunity to repair my front seats since both cushions are knackered with broken springs and deteriorted material! i'm always finding loose stuff on the rear carpets from the seats :D

so i have some questions..
1) i dont think the cushion can be repaired because as far as i know it is made from horse's hair (?) and springs. so they probably would have to make a new cushion out of foam. is this possible? using the same MB-Tex cover?

2) if i find a set of 2nd hand seats off a 190 or w124, will they fit in my w123? i saw a pic of a thai w123 with w210 e-class front seats and it looks ACE! i wonder if MB seats have the same mounting points? but i doubt it..

any advice, feedback, suggestions or opinions will be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,703 Posts
You can get the new padding from...

http://www.performanceproducts.com
Their catalog shows the stuff better.

or

http://www.4basic.com/mbkits.html

or

http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Mercedes/ReupholsteryCarpeting.html

[8D]

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
A cheap way to restore the cushion would be to put a old towel on the springs, then put the cushion on top, then build up the seat how you want with more towels, sounds cheap and it is but it works and its comfortable, if the springs are broken you may beable to get broken springs from a yard and physically remove the springs that you need (thats what I did) and install them in your seat, takes alittle work but may be alot cheaper, also there are replacement pads that are made out of rubber to replace the horsehair pads, but IMO you should get some of that memory foam (thats what I'm going to do anyway) and custom make a pad! Don't know if the newer seats are compatible, but wouldn't surprise me if 126 seats were compatible if othere seats arn't...

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm thanks

i went to a local tapestry shop today (or whatever you call it :), he repairs car seats, boat seats, sofas and whatever) and he said he will fix both front cushions for about $60 which is OK.

i asked about what he was thinking of doing, and asked him about the horse hair etc, he said this is normal and he will have to connect any broken springs back together and insert foam pieces so that the springs will continue to work on the foam [8)]

dunno what i should do.. i will try looking for some used W124 or maybe even later MB seats .. if i find a set of newer seats at a good price i will get them :) and maybe re-upholster the whole interior in the same material, hopefully blk leather ..

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
banflu - 2/12/2005 4:12 PM

hmm thanks

i went to a local tapestry shop today (or whatever you call it :), he repairs car seats, boat seats, sofas and whatever) and he said he will fix both front cushions for about $60 which is OK.

i asked about what he was thinking of doing, and asked him about the horse hair etc, he said this is normal and he will have to connect any broken springs back together and insert foam pieces so that the springs will continue to work on the foam [8)]

dunno what i should do.. i will try looking for some used W124 or maybe even later MB seats .. if i find a set of newer seats at a good price i will get them :) and maybe re-upholster the whole interior in the same material, hopefully blk leather ..
He'll probably use something like the thing in the pic to connect the springs back together, it costs less than a dollar and it's total junk, imo you should invest that $60 in some of that memory foam (they use it in some new high end cars now) and repair the spring your self, ask him exactly how he's going to reconnect the springs, I doubt it'll be very durable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm something to think about ... i see another DIY job coming :) :)

so you're saying that i should connect the springs back together, then apply some of this memory foam on top of them?
or scrap the springs altogether and just use memory foam? :confused:

i dont see how this could work without springs, cause as far as i know the seat base does is hollow underneath..

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
Steps to cheap seat repair success:

1) IMO best way is to replace the broken spring with a new spring from another seat. Thats what I did anyway and I took it out of a previously broken box spring (is that what thier called??) so it was really cheap. I'm not saying you'll be able to find a box spring that you can pull a good spring out of but hopefully because its the cheapest and best way. I don't recommend having some guy "reconnect" the broken spring.

2) Replace horse hair pad with memory foam.

3) Profit with a more comfortable drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts