Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300sd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a 1984 300SD. My interrior is in great shape except for my seats. They are shot. What options do I have? Any good sites that can help me restore them?

As usual I have to keep costs reasonable. I would not rule out trying to re upholster them myself. Anyone try that?

But bottom line is they have to look good and be comfortable.

Jim

·
Registered
1979 300SD
45 Posts
I had good results on mine (1979) applying a trick that I found once while searching the net . Remove the horse hair from the seats , and replace it with this foam,long , pink "sausages" that are sold ($2 at walmart) for playing in swimming pools .

·
Registered
117 Posts
seats

I have the same problem with the seats in my '78 280SE--driver's side seat cushion is about as stiff as yogart. Go to MercedesShopWiki: Seat Removal & Repair. The site has great pictues about how to do the "pool noodle" repair. I'm pretty sure the seats are the same in 123 and 116. If not, I'd like to stand corrected by someone who knows more than I.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1992 Jetta w/ 2.0 ABA conversion, 1968 Ford LTD and 1965 Ford Fairlane
118 Posts
I have the same problem with the seats in my '78 280SE--driver's side seat cushion is about as stiff as yogart. Go to MercedesShopWiki: Seat Removal & Repair. The site has great pictues about how to do the "pool noodle" repair. I'm pretty sure the seats are the same in 123 and 116. If not, I'd like to stand corrected by someone who knows more than I.
Hemersam
You are correct sir, the seat boxes are the same for the 116 ,123 and early *126, but the mounting brackets are different. In fact the seats are exactly the same from driver to passenger side, with exception to mounting brackets and backrest bracket (seat adjustment knob).

Most passenger seats dont get worn out too badly. You can rebuild your drivers seat with parts off a passenger seat. Pool noodles will work, but dont look quite right. Spend $50 on a new seat cusion and go hit the junk yards and find yourself a good passenger side seat to canabalize. If I remeber correctly there are six springs and all have a different tension to them. Replace the broken spring with the equivelnt one from your donor seat box. You cannot purchase new spings unfortunatly

Rebuilding your seat box from another looks alot better than the pool noodle repair method. I've done both, and feel that trying to fabricate something is alot more difficult than trying to fix something the way it was intended. The work you put in is proportionate to the reults you will get out.

*The early 126 seats still had maunal adjusting seats, later models went to a whole new electric set up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
seat

You have good advice, Juxtamit. I own a very nice '78 280SE and my questions are these: is what you refer to as a "seat cushion" a replacement for the horsehair pad in the original? If not, what is it?
Also, are the mounting brackets the same on a '78 280 SE for both front seats, i.e., could you just exchange them. I ask because my driver's front seat cushion is soft as yogurt, but the passenger seat cushion is firm and comfy. Appreciate your answer very much.
Hemersam :bowdown:

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450SEL (116.033)
10 Posts
url=http://www.freewebs.com/topsandinteriors/index.htm Superior Tops and Interiors | Your place for the best quality European convertible tops. Also the finest in Mercedes Benz interiors.[/url]

try these folks. I was quoted $2400. for front and back oem leather, pads, cushions, sans headrests (mine are good). This did not include a shipping price as I haven't followed up on it, yet. [short o' bucks]!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts