Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you guys might find this useful , it saves a tone of money that's for sure .
It's a hell of a job & painful at times but the end result is absolutely awesome .
With the collaboration & tips send to me by Craig ( Mschoen954 , eBay name ) , I have successfully swapped out my interior .
Craig's Leather covers that look absolutely like new are available here >>> http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/mschoen954/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654 .
So far it is only the two front seats , the rear will be converted into the 4 Seater option .

The bottom section of the seat is only held by 4 Phillips head screws , if you can manage to get them of ,there is no need to remove the seat at all to change the leather covers .
I tried that but it didn't work out for me , I also said to my self ,what is the point of installing new leather seats with a dirty carpet , that would look awful ,imagine the rest .

I try to upload the pictures in order , some might end up in a different place so go by your skills as well there if you decide to go for it .
I recommend if you changing the Leather covers by removing the seats completely , wash the carpets as well ,comes of easy .

There are about 40-50 pictures to upload here .
Picture that is missing is the one where the seatbelt has a knot on it to hold it securely so it cant wind itself up .

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Pictures are changed in order because while I was trying to not take the whole seat out at 1st but then changed my mind , so basically you wont need to do any of this if you can get the 4 screws around the seat base of .:wink

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We get to the Leather coverings removal soon .:devil

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Below are 2 tools you need at all cost , don't start without these removing the leather of the seats , go Hardware Store & look for a Pic tool set , they are cheap .
Those pictures were send to me from Craig , there will be a fair few of those in the next posts.

Also in this lot I reveal my secret helper , couldn't have done this without it , what an unbelievable experience with W140's ,lol.:wink

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here it shows the base leather section of the seat , the part were you sit on (lol) , Here I take the Leather of the seat ,further down in post 8 it shows how to reinsert it back on for the 1st three pictures , they should have been in the next post below , I skipped them not noticing ,I got mixed up , to many pictures .

I also had everything commented onto every picture but it didn't save for some reason ,something must have gone wrong , on page 2/3 there are more pics with comment's .
Just by seeing the pictures you should get the idea anyway ,to remove the base leather is very easy . :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Pictures continue on the next pages .:thumbsup::crying

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
657 Posts
Wow! I am now Psyched to do this job. I checked the link but unfortunately he only has one of the two seat covers I need.

Afraid to ask how many hours of labor to do 2 seat cover change outs?

Seth

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow! I am now Psyched to do this job. I checked the link but unfortunately he only has one of the two seat covers I need.
Afraid to ask how many hours of labor to do 2 seat cover change outs?
Seth
All that you see above what I have done , can be done in one long day .
Don't be afraid , it only looks complicated on the pictures .:thumbsup:
=================================================

1st three Pictures are of the Base , lay some carpet onto the floor to protect the leather from scratching ,then ad the NEW leather onto the base of the seat and stand on it , kneeling down of course is the way to go , compress the seat & start folding the edges of the new leather into the grooves all around the seat .
Next up , the upper backrest .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
864 Posts
Driver's Seat - Long Time Memory

Merc600,
Viewing the pic with the folding chair in place of the driver's seat reminded me of my uncle. My uncle ran a gas station / garage in a small southern US town. If someone could not pay the repairs, he kept the car. He always had a variety of vehicles at his disposal. Anyway one day in the late 60's he came to visit and was driving an early 50's Ford or Chevy Panel Truck (first SUV). His driver's seat was a cane foot stool. He sat on this and drove the two hours to our house and then back to his home. Your pics made me remember that scene from about 50 years ago.

I did get a new seat cover for the S500 drivers seat from a local automotive interior shop. He replaced the seating area and re-used the seat pad sides and the seat back. The replacement was not exact, but for $400 and he did all the work, not bad. I do like what you are doing adding the 4 pc seating. Looks great.

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Great work so far. I am going to that to do this on mine when I remove the horrible white leather covers the PO installed. Now, if only I could find some Designo dark and light grey coupe seats to install...

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Some extra pics , Before & After shots , I cant belive the carpet & trim was so dirty yet I couldn't see it .
I have pulled out every single piece of trim & washed them all including the door entry seals, they all came up like new again , the whole interior smells different as well , the Mercedes smell is coming back out lol, before I always had that mechanical sort of smell in it .

ON THE FRONT SEATS IT SHOWS THAT THE LEATHER IS NOT THIGHT PROPERLY ON THE SIDES, IT DOSENT LOOK AS BAD INSIDE THE CAR ,PICTURES JUST PICK UP TOO MUCH , THAT SHOULD GO AWAY AFTER I ADDED THE CONDITIONER LIKE CRAIG MENTIONED TO ME , I HAVENT DONE THAT YET . ( Dam Caps lock was on )

Next will be the rear 2 seater option , I haven't got the parts yet for that but hopefully will receive them in a week or so .
Temporarily this Threat will go sleeping .
Hope everyone is enjoying it so far .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 300SL-24; 1996 S320; 1999 E55 ; 1996 E320
83 Posts
this is an invaluable thread - much appreciated from us in Manila.. thanks very much for sharing this

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1ST PAGE HAS RECEIVED THE INSTALLATION OF THE LEATHER PICTURES

Merc600,
Viewing the pic with the folding chair in place of the driver's seat reminded me of my uncle. My uncle ran a gas station / garage in a small southern US town. If someone could not pay the repairs, he kept the car. He always had a variety of vehicles at his disposal. Anyway one day in the late 60's he came to visit and was driving an early 50's Ford or Chevy Panel Truck (first SUV). His driver's seat was a cane foot stool. He sat on this and drove the two hours to our house and then back to his home. Your pics made me remember that scene from about 50 years ago.

I did get a new seat cover for the S500 drivers seat from a local automotive interior shop. He replaced the seating area and re-used the seat pad sides and the seat back. The replacement was not exact, but for $400 and he did all the work, not bad. I do like what you are doing adding the 4 pc seating. Looks great.
I replaced that chair with a Milk Crate instead , reason for that is , the legs of the stool could puncture/damage/deform the air housing channels on the chassis .
Well it's all back in now so no more chair at all ,lol , Absolutely LOVE IT , cant wait to start the back .:thumbsup:

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I reconnected all the disconnected wires under that trim & carpet that I found, my ASR light turned on leaving me with Limp mode in the middle of traffic ( no big deal as I entered private side streets instantly , but still a headache ) Took over an hour to do about 5 km's ,not even 5 probably less.
The wire I pointed out below was the culprit .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
657 Posts
ASR Wire Problem

Since I reconnected all the disconnected wires under that trim & carpet that I found, my ASR light turned on leaving me with Limp mode in the middle of traffic ( no big deal as I entered private side streets instantly , but still a headache ) Took over an hour to do about 5 km's ,not even 5 probably less.
The wire I pointed out below was the culprit .:thumbsup:
So what was the problem with the wire and the resolution? Did you disconnect that wire and fail to reconnect it? Please explain

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what was the problem with the wire and the resolution? Did you disconnect that wire and fail to reconnect it? Please explain
What happened there was , when I removed all of the interior I found that wire already disconnected , I never had any ASR problem before so while I was on the drive after I reconnected all the wires that were disconnected , the ASR (limp mode ) turned on , regardless of what I did or check ,it always came back on as soon I would brake , I disconnected that wire and since then the ASR light has not come on again , I would love to know why the rear brake light would trigger such a major fault .
My car when i 1st got it , didn't have a rear 3rd brake light in it at all , I added one of my own taste with my own electrical (non triggering ASR lol) wiring .
I have absolutely no idea why the ASR would be triggered by that wire ,pretty dam stupid by MB if you ask me .
Look how many owners are stuck with the ASR light & cant find a solution , well I posted this everywhere now and hope it fixes there asr trouble by simply disconnecting that wire .:thumbsup:

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well done Chris :smile:smile

I have seen my friend Craig do this day-in-and-day-out, on a few occasions I have done it too...

For those of you interested in Craig's work. Email him as he will make it for you, or already has it, and has not listed it on ebay...

See post 10:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1723805-leatherique-products.html

Again, well done Chris.

Martin
Thanks Martin .
Yes Craig is absolutely a great Person , he just sent me the rear section for the 4 seating option ,we had to wait a bit as i asked him for a matching center console which he found and also a beige colored airbag ,leather only with the chrome star ,apparently he knows where to find them .
Where does he find all these w140 leathers Martin ? ,ok I know ,Top Secret right !!!.
Must be a huge packet in the mail, $220US postage alone ,it's the same airfare for a child lol.
It's all going to start again this week coming ,yesterday I picked up a rear bottom bench seat from an S320 that I use as the tester 1st before I start cutting .
Looks like the same procedure like the front seats ,just that it is more tight & the hooks are bigger & complicated to get to but with a little extra force it comes of just the same .:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts