Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being from Canada, it is hard to get info on the very rare G-Wagons here. I know there are 5 and 9 seat variations of the 1990 463 chassis. Are there any others? Is the 2 center-facing bench configuration the only alternative to the 5-seater? Also, are there seatbelts for the benches in the back?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks to one all![?]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
37 views (and counting) and no replies.....
Is everyone prejudiced against Canadians?... Or is everyone as in the dark as I am about the whole seating thing?
Any old reply would be nice; even if you said " I don't know either". [?][?][?]

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
easy my friend, easy.
don't know about canada, but there were multiple seating options available.
pls note that the 9 seater is the same config as the 5 seater, just with the face to face looking bank additionally in the back. the 5/9 seaters are the most common ones for lwb, but there has been various individual solutions for the market and homemade ones. i've seen sofar on LWB's: 2,3,4(my own),5,7, and 9 seater versions, and on SWB's 2,4,5 and 6 seater versions and heard of 7 seaters with two middlefacing seats in the back (although that is more of an emergency seat).

don't know whether today merc bilds in 2point belts in the back (they use to have none), but 3 point belts are forbidden by law for centerfacing seats in germany.

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
All Gs (SWB or LWB) generally have a 5-seat configuration but they had optional jump seats in the cargo area that made it into a 7 seater. From what I understand they do have seatbelts but as you can imagine facing inwards isn't very safe in the event of a collision. I believe these would be considered "emergency" seating at best.

Where are you from in Canada and do you have a G yet or are you still just shopping?

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, What a small world! I'm in Edmonton too!!!

I've got a SWB 280 GE but I am looking to buy one with more seating capacity. I have seen some with 9 passenger seating but I think there is another option too.

Do you have a G?

-Sean

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Please read Dave Gomes' recent post here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203082&posts=3&fid=30

— Spalding

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Read Daves Post.
My sympathy is with the family.

My observations are.
The change in seat design which icludes lengthening the body and lifting the roof were well under way when the litigation started?
What happend to the driver that caused the accident?
One death attributed to seat design, as regretfull as any death is, out of 50000 units sold in the usa and more than 3 times that in Europe is not a bad record.
I think a kid has a higher risk when riding a bike in the yard.

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Yes, I have a SWB 300GD turbo. We should get together sometime. I would really like to see another G upclose and meet another G owner!! How long have you had it and what year is it? Mine is an 82 and in pretty rough shape at the moment. Hopefully, this will change this summer.

Welcome to the board.

Steve

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
All this talk about crash safety is interesting, but does anybody here have pics of post-crash G's?

I see them from time to time on Mobile.de...

·
Registered
1985 280GE
100 Posts
I guess my problem with this whole thing is that if a family has so many children that the jumpseats are used for daily use, they should just buy a vehicle built to safely carry that many persons such as a Suburban, expedition, excursion, sequoia, land cruiser etal, or simply, take two cars. For around town or a simple jaunt somewhere close this would be justifiable, but as this family is from Danville and the crash occurred on Highway 50 by my office in El Dorado County which is about 110 miles away, this family was most likely either going to or returning from Lake Tahoe. I've been looking for a set of jumpseats for my 280GE, however, those seats would serve as a convenience for scenarios such as dropping off hunters on the ranch etc., things where speeds will probably never exceed 20 to 25 miles per hour with almost no traffic...just my thoughts. We have a problem in America where people no longer think for themselves, anything bad that happens MUST be someone elses fault or negligence, talk about a lack of personal responsibility.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I seem to have a bunch of spare seats around.... And now I have a couple of the under-seat cubby boxes available from the LWB parts truck. I started to wonder if I could use them to put two more forward facing seats in the rear....

Just idle thoughts in case they spur some idea with someone more ambitious than myself....

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Surprised Mort has replied to this yet. As I recall he has a number of seating diagrams for Gs kicking about showing things such as

1) standard config
2) two seaters (ie van or pickup)
3) two seaters plus side facing bench seats for something like eight seats
4) seven seater with two rows of normal seats plus two single bench seats in the back.

Plus a few others and that is just the SWB diagrams... not sure what configurations to LWB have.

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
Hearing the scuttlebutt on how unsafe defenders/109s/88s are, I wonder whether there are folks out there who think Gs are fundamentally unsafe too.

Having owned a 98 and a 109, and never having come close to rolling them, I wonder whether the nightmarish fantasies (if that's what they are) expressed here about Gs are well-founded.

I understand the idea of side-facing passengers being thrown about in the vehicle in case of a collision, but is there an issue of G roofs collapsing during rolls? I think this danger was suggested or alluded to during a previous post.

Having 4 kids myself, I've thought long and hard about how to move our family and our stuff. There are suprisingly few options...but the tide appears to be turning, even here in Germany, where the average woman has only 1.3 kids...

·
Registered
W463, 300GE
647 Posts
g-luvr - 3/11/2005 12:42 PM

Hi, What a small world! I'm in Edmonton too!!!

I've got a SWB 280 GE but I am looking to buy one with more seating capacity....
-Sean
If you fill out your profile, everyone else can see where you are from and what car you are driving. (and don't have to ask...)

Klaus

·
Registered
2001 ML270CDI
162 Posts
Here in Norway, LWB Gs have been available as 2-seater, 5-seater, 9-seater and 10-seater versions, with 2, 5 and 10 being available from the factory.

The 10-seater is a peculiar Norwegian adaption that was made for tax reasons, since it then could be registered as a minibus with a much lower purchase tax (20% of the tax for the 5-seater). This tax makes up around 50% of the purchase price of a new G around here.

The 10 seater has the usual 5 seats, plus a rear-facing folding seat mounted on the backrest on the rear seat as well as two-seater side-facing folding seats on each side of the rar compartment.

The rub of the minibus registration is that you need a minibus drivers license, so the license will cost you extra.

The 9-seater version became another variant. If you want to de-register a minibus and reregister it as a normal car, you have to pay the remaining 80% of the tax. The amount you have to pay will go down as the car ages, so that after 10 years, you dont have to pay more than $200 to re-register it as a normal car. However, if you want to re-register it, you can't have more seats than it's registered for, so therefore it's common to rip out the rear-facing seat and then register it as a 9-seater normal car (the max number of seats before you need a minibus registration).

My car once was a minibus with 10 seats, however, the PO ripped out all the seats in the rear compartment and registered it as a 5-seater.

Nowadays, you can't register a new G as a minibus, since sidefacing seats are no longer allowed. The only way to lessen the purchase tax on a G now, is to register it as a 2-seater van or truck. Then you only have the 20% tax. (Before a truck registration had no purchase tax, but needed a truck drivers license. Now, the tax is the same, so no truck registration Gs are available.)

The 270CDI used to be NOK570 000 ($86500) as a truck and NOK970 000 ($147000) as a 5-seater. The G400, G500 and G55AMG are correspondingly more expensive. The purchase tax consists of 3 parts - weight tax, displacement tax and engine power tax. The G (and all other large SUVs) are heavily taxed on all three areas. In addition, you get a 25% sales tax on top of it all.

Regards

Johan-Kr

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Fenalaar - 4/15/2006 11:18 AM
The purchase tax consists of 3 parts - weight tax, displacement tax and engine power tax. The G (and all other large SUVs) are heavily taxed on all three areas. In addition, you get a 25% sales tax on top of it all.
------------------------------------------------------
I can see by the recent tax changes in the Uk that this is just the thin end of the wedge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts