Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , this may sound strange but I wanted to know if it was possible ..
Is there any way to change (upgrade) the front seats on a GL500 2007 from the regular seats to Dynamic , Ventilated seats like in an S Class ? Thanks .. Could I just go out to a scrap yard - yank out the seats from an S Class and install them in the GL ? Has anyone attempted this ?

Manano ...

·
Registered
2007 GL450 4MATIC, 2005 E320 AMG Sport
56 Posts
I doubt the wiring harness under the existing seats would support the added functions of the replacements. I'm trying to figure out if I can upgrade the manually controlled seats in my GL to memory seats by replacing the control module on the side of the seats.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,092 Posts
Car seats won't fit.

I compared my GL seats to a W211 E-class seats, and the GL seats are 2 inches narrower.

Yes, GL seats can be VERY uncomfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
2008 GL 320, 2012 BMW X1, 1995 Volvo 855T, 2008 Outback
307 Posts
Ikchris, you hit the nail on the head! Of all of the features on the GL, the seats are the worst product. After 3 hours on an Interstate, I have to get out and walk because my legs are so sore. I used to pride myself to make the MSP-Chicago non stop in my other cars and still be ready for a dance. Not with this truck!
I need to look for something else, because I prefer driving to sitting in a flying sardine can. Come to think about it, the seats in coach are about the same as the GL!

As for replacing the seat module with one with memory, that should work. Replacing the seats with 'leather' seats from a GL550 should also work - if the plugs are the same.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,249 Posts
Ikchris, you hit the nail on the head! Of all of the features on the GL, the seats are the worst product. After 3 hours on an Interstate, I have to get out and walk because my legs are so sore. I used to pride myself to make the MSP-Chicago non stop in my other cars and still be ready for a dance. Not with this truck!
I need to look for something else, because I prefer driving to sitting in a flying sardine can. Come to think about it, the seats in coach are about the same as the GL!

As for replacing the seat module with one with memory, that should work. Replacing the seats with 'leather' seats from a GL550 should also work - if the plugs are the same.
How different are the seats from the seats in the R-Class?

I/We have done several long trips and teh seats are very comfortabel for long runs.
Longest was from Bryson City NC to Weston in S FL, 13hrs and felt fresh and not a single ake in the body (legs, back, shoulder etc), for me this is the most comfortable car for long drives that I have ever owned.

We are looking at the GL now as they will discontinue the R-Class in US from 2013 model year, I however got roumers that they will introduce a new model for 2014 year, but the dealer did not inform what kind/type

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up - spoke to the dealer and a few of the technicians .. Seat can't be upgraded as they are pre-wired at the factory :(

Manano ...

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,724 Posts
Follow up - spoke to the dealer and a few of the technicians .. Seat can't be upgraded as they are pre-wired at the factory :(

Manano ...
It can be upgraded... but it's time consuming. I am considering about purchasing a used 2008 GL450. But it has the standard heated seats without ventilation.

However, I talked to my local service center, they can order the seat for me, but they suggest I install it myself.

Btw, I'm in western China, but the car should be the same....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KarlBenzSF - I'd love to hear how it went .. Please post once you've done the upgrade .. Thx :)

Manano ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, anyone has experience with seats upgrade? Most of the cars where I live are only with simple seats (no memory, no ventilation, no multicontour). I wonder if I can buy such a car, buy used multicontour seats with ventilation and memory and replace them.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
18 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of seat you have in your GL. I love mine! They are heated, leather and have memory functions. I wold like to upgrade them for the ones that have the lumbar or massaging function that the newer GLs have. Do keep us updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts