Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SEL 2003 Jaguar S Type
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Been awhile since I have been online, not alot of computer time with the new job so my time has been cut way back. The question I have is I want to replace the springs on my front seat with those that are sold at performance products. Has anyone installed them? Thanks for the info as always.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,293 Posts
If you don't know what hog nose pliers are, don't bother doing it yourself I'll put it that way. It is worth it to have an upholsterer do the work for you IMO.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,247 Posts
There was a fellow Benzworlder who did the refurbishment of the seats himself and posted the procedure.

However, I'm with Marlinspike, wouldn't be bothered to do it myself.

I took my seat to a local upholsterer and paid them $150 for the job.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300SE
61 Posts
ooo! hog nose pliers. i'm not touching any job that requires using tools made of animal parts.

PETA.
(People Eating Tasty Animals):D

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Today I was messing around with the 500sel doing some detailing and got the wild hair to check out the driver's seat spring. I removed the fire extinguisher and got the seat bottom cover loose. I had a seat spring and pad in my garage that had the Mercedes "pool tube" spring helpers that fit inside the front coils and removed them to put them into the seat. While I was in there I found one broken wire in the spring box and was able to put a small hollow metal tube to mate the piece back together. After checking the splice for action I wrapped the spring helpers into the coils and set the cover back in place. The seat is completely transformed!!! I'm pushing 250lbs and the seat feels great and supports me without any problems. Had to take it for a test drive to be sure :) Those rubber Mercedes seat cylinders measured 2.1 inches in diameter and were 5 inches long and were made of recycled foam rubber. I'm confident that you could substitute foam or rubber pipe insulation and achieve the same result. Might be a quick option other than the hognose pliers.

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
I'm pushing 275lbs and I installed the "recycled" rubber foam tubes on my ride this weekend and the results are great!! I'm sure that you could be a REAL cheapy and use a pool tube (I call them pool noodles) or any other substitute, But I got mine from a independent Mercedes service center for only $4.60 each. Part number for those who care 126-914-22-15.

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
I've asked this before, but no one replied. How do you get the seat cover loose on Gen 2 cars? Do you have to remove the seat?

Dave

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
dave420 said:
I've asked this before, but no one replied. How do you get the seat cover loose on Gen 2 cars? Do you have to remove the seat?

Dave
Dave, I did not remove my seats. You know when you get in the seat, it compresses (the seat material). The material is tucked under a metal lip, just untuck the material (3 sides front and two sides) and pull it up over the seat. Now the "horse hair" padding is also attached to the seat bottom and folds over the metal seat frame, pull it off the edges and !VIOLA! the seat coil springs are exposed for the spring pads to be slid in place. Reverse process to complete seat "repair."

Eric

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Thanks, Eric. I cannot figure out how to disengage the material. I think the post-89 cars have a different fastening situation.

Dave

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
No the later models are just the same in regard to the leather tucked into the groove.

It takes a bit of pulling to get them free of the groove, and pull down, start working from the front corners as that seems to be the easiest place when I did it on mine.

·
Registered
91-560SEL - 99 - corvette coupe LS1 - 07 Cadillac STS4
26 Posts
seat springs - my 1991 560SEL

I'm 300 lbs and when I got the car a couple years ago I naturally thought the side seat springs were very weak . I followed advice from the forum and unhooked the front of the seat upholstery and shoved some 3.0 density (firm) foam up into the sides. It really seemed to help but its still not right IMO. By the way, never got those "hog hooks" back on correctly!

I told my Mercedes mechanic (24 yr. @Mercedes dealer) what I did to my seat and he told me about special seat springs that he installed a few times back when the W126's were current models. They were supposed to be special springs for "livery" or taxi service use and were much firmer springs built for this heavy duty use. (Perfect for us "little guys") I'll bet this is really the solution! Anyone know a part number or cost?

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts