Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 380SL Im working on as I can. Sick now and cant do a lot. Ive had some treatments and I feel somewhat better.
Im installing (or trying to) my seats and I hit a bump in the road. The sliders on each seat had some of the plastic slider attachments
missing.. After cleaning them up a bit I installed new sliders I installed the black sliders on the rear inside of the seat on both seats.
Installing the drivers seat and adjusting everything I got in and tried to move seat back. Very hard to move, Yes I lubed it to the point of
overlubing. Finally got it to move and got it at my preferred position so Im ok . Passenger seat is another story. It wont budge. I set sliders
enough to get to front mount bolt. After getting seat in It wont move forward or backward. I took seat out and sliders were stuck. I had to use a hammer to slide
them off. Checked the plastic slider and as I installed it the slider was scraping the plastic shaving some of it off. Obviously they are too big or I
have them installed wrong. I though the white ones were all one size and black ones were for inside back point on slider.
My question is : Is this normal when installing new slider parts? Or are they different sizes and I got wrong ones? Ive done all I know to do
as there isn't much info online about these guys. So Im flying blind here. Any shadetree remedies here? Can I remove one ? they slide ok that way
Any info is appreciated. My cancer is holding steady for now meds help some but no energy to speak of . Need to get this beast done soon or I may not get to
finish. Thanks for your help
Earl

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire. 1973 Euro 450SL
101 Posts
I just redid my 73 drivers seat, all my plastic sliders were white, they are 8 per seat, six are small and the two inside lower are bigger. On e poster said the two inside lower sliders were to keep it from rocking. After getting the bolts started (a B**ch) my seat slides fine.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,375 Posts
Maybe I will check the EPC later today.

One shortcut might be: skip the top slider because the weight should keep you on the bottom slider.

I’ve taken apart so many, and have not documented which go where. It’s time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sliders I bought were 12 white and 4 black. The black ones slide fine. and they are larger than the white ones.
the white ones are the problem they scrape as they slide. Gives indication of being too large. But one seat slides ok . So maybe something else . I may have to take one of them off to get it to work.
One more question: does the seat height adjustment mechanism have any effect on its operation. My car doesn't have those. Somebody took them out . Which leads me to think that the sliders are in a bit of a bind since they don't fit level since the adjuster is missing. Its at an angel high side to low side front to back. But it is thick steel so not that much stress on it .
Today Im resting so Ill get back to it this week end and let you know. So if you have any ideas send them my way.
Thanks
Earl

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
168 Posts
Hi Earl, first of all I'm really sorry for your desease - hope that it will become much better!!
For every seat you need 7 white and 1 black slider. The black ones are wider but if you use more then one the seat will stuck, because of the tolerances in the car. The rails are not aligned perfectly, so the seats needs enough clearance in the rail. The Black slider belongs at the back side of the seats, insde downwards (at the tunnel). You can call it the fixed bearing.
The 4 white upper sliders at each seat need some spacer-material bewteen slider and support. I'm using a piece of cable for it, others using cutted O-rings.
You have to adjust this spacer material until you have no (or only verly low) clearance in up/down-position. Don't establish a press-fit!
Dont' apply spacer material on the bottom sliders, because by the material the fit bewteen support and slider is reduced and the bottom sliders have tor carry all of the load. Because of that it's important that this connection remains strong. As well he spacer material would be stressed by the weight of seat and person all the time so clearance would grow very fast.
For lubrication (necessary) use only a liltle bit of grease. Oil will drop out at the end of the rails and damage the carpet.

Best regards Martin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Earl,
for the winter I had removed the passenger seat and stored it in the cellar. So I could take some pics for you.
Hope that will explain better than with words in my limited English.
Martin

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire. 1973 Euro 450SL
101 Posts
Earl,

To add to Martin’s photos here is my pax’s seat inside rail, this is with the seat on its back. I pulled a few of my small spacers and mine do not have any black rubber in them?

Dan

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Dan,
without the black slider you don't have a problem, maybe some more clearance.
Only at the one special position the black wide slider is helpful - but not necessary. You can live without.
The right Position of the black slider is for each seat at the back end down at the tunnel side.
Martin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Fonzi, you may not find them but it won't work without. I have new sliders and in average 2,3mm spacer material underneat each of the upper 4 sliders (per seat).
Without it's incredible rattly.
I will ask where this is described, I read a few times that the original material is not available any more.
Martin

Edit: by the way: the tiny slider "173" for the 2. gen. seats meanwhile is at 20$! You never need to renew them but be when you take out the seats, you may lose them.

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
82 Posts
Went through the same thing with my '73 SLC. Because some of my nylon sliders were missing or broken, I didn't know what I needed, so I ordered 2 of the wide and 2 narrow ones from local MB dealer. They were all white, and all had the "shallow" groove. When I installed them, they were too tight and the seat would not slide. I couldn't figure out how to make the groove deeper, so I sanded down the wide part of the glide until it fit. Crude -- but it worked...

·
Registered
168 Posts
o_O
Meanwhile I found the part, it's only shown for the seats of the 1st generation. No 143 at the EPC-page. A0019875446.
But it's just a piece of a rubber tie. Don't know why it's no shown for the other seats - it's necessary.
Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts