Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 81 380SL has need of new seat covers. I have been reading threads on this but didn't see anything as far as what year/model will fit what?
I wasn't going to put much thought/effort into asthetic issues until I have the mechanical thoroughly nailed down, but I ran across some seat covers out of an older model W124 (used but in good condition) that look identical to mine for less than 1/2 the price of a new set.
Any suggestions?
Bandit

·
Registered
464 Posts
Seat covers compat between W124 and W107

With the exception of the head rests (the earlier cars have rather "pointed" crests on the headrest), the bottom and back should be the same. If there is another piece you might need, it's the armrest. The 81 380SL is the same through to the later 85. Only the pattern gives away which is which (but hardly anybody will care, unless you are planning concours panel examination). The 380SL, if I recall, had a perforated pattern on the back and seat that later 560SL seats did not. Most aftermarket covers are smooth and have only the creases and piping without the perforation. Given that perforated pattern is harder to clean and leads (when the hides dry out) to more cracking that propagates across the entire panel, the new design is, at least slightly, better.

Don't forget to give the hides a thorough cleaning and conditioning treatment and consider a 30% tint on the windows and a nice reflective barrier for the windshield when you park it. This will keep the hides in good shape for a very long time.

-bz

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the exception of the head rests (the earlier cars have rather "pointed" crests on the headrest), the bottom and back should be the same. If there is another piece you might need, it's the armrest. The 81 380SL is the same through to the later 85. Only the pattern gives away which is which (but hardly anybody will care, unless you are planning concours panel examination). The 380SL, if I recall, had a perforated pattern on the back and seat that later 560SL seats did not. Most aftermarket covers are smooth and have only the creases and piping without the perforation. Given that perforated pattern is harder to clean and leads (when the hides dry out) to more cracking that propagates across the entire panel, the new design is, at least slightly, better.

Don't forget to give the hides a thorough cleaning and conditioning treatment and consider a 30% tint on the windows and a nice reflective barrier for the windshield when you park it. This will keep the hides in good shape for a very long time.

-bz
I appreciate the info. Not doing a concours restoration, this is a driver but I would like to keep it stock. I will have to look at some pics because my 81 has rectangular headrests and no armrest. The seats do have the perforations in the center parts which has dried out and cracked as you stated. The only issue that I will have to consider is that the ones he has are dark blue and my interior is grey.
Thanks again
Bandit

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the W124 seats in question are from a four door the seat backs will be stationary.
Thanks Dave;
So no side port for the lever (to move the seat back forward)
HMM that might be the kicker. The passenger seat is actually in pretty good condition so I will just let that one slide for now.
I was thinking if I ended up sinking a lot of $$ into the mechanical I would just pick up a decent quality sheepskin cover for the driver's side and roll like that.:D
Bandit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts