Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
The dealer is wonderful for warranty work. Everything else, use an indie shop. Absolutely no reason to overpay at a dealer. The indie shop I go to in Waltham, MA (European Auto Solutions), actually does overflow and specialty work for a lot of the dealers in the area, including the one from which I bought the car (MB of Burlington, which opened a couple years back). Why pay more, is how I look at it. Rates are typically cheaper, parts are still genuine MB, and a small business is much more likely to back up their work with better customer service.
This time you are correct. The dealer is way out of line. I've had times in the past where the dealer saved me a lot of money or helped me fix my own car.

I go to the dealer to get the oil changed. It cost about 35.00 more to have it done at the dealer. So what do I get for my 35.00 dollars?

Thay wash the car in and out.
They give me unlimited coffee and danish or cake
I get a clean place to work while my car is worked on with a desk and internet.

One time while my car was getting the oil changed they found something else wrong. I hired them to do the repair. I don't remember what it was, something in the front end that I couldn't do myself. They gave me a car to drive while mine was in there free.

I used to have an SL that was having trouble with the suspension. They put the car in the air, showed me where the strut was starting to leak, topped off the fluid and made sure there was no air in the lines. No charge.

The first time I worked on the SL I was putting breaks on. I couldn't figure out how to get the caliper off and screwed it up. Break fluid leaked out all over the place. I finished the brake job but had no way to bleed the system. They came with a flatbed, took the car and flushed the system. $200.00

There are other times they helped me so while this repair is way too much, I still like them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I get it. Whoever it is, dealer or not, if they make you feel comfortable and do things like that for you, you will use them - so good for you for finding someone you trust. I am fortunate in that my indie mechanic has done all of that for me in the past. Their loaners are probably not as nice - but it's kinda cool to compare my W212 to the old W210 I owned when I grab a 1998 E320 as a loaner for a few hours :)

So, now I have a ripped seam on BOTH seats. For me, I only had the passenger side seam toward the front of the seat ripped in one spot. In cleaning the car this weekend, I put a tiny bit of pressure on the seam toward the rear of the seat bottom, and it all ripped open. It's really disappointing. Anyone have luck getting work done under CPO by complaining to dealer and threatening to go to MB USA?

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is no more old growth Naugahyde available - so the current version is not as durable. The Nauga is an extinct critter. Maybe the Germans should sew their seats with dental floss. This stuff never breaks.
It's MB-Tex (for most of us, I'm assuming), so it's not even a real leather from a real critter to begin with. Why not just put some type of imprint rather than an actual fake seam that risks ripping apart like this? BMW did/used to do this on their faux leather seats and I can't recall ever seeing that being an issue on any of the old 3 or 5 series vehicles I was in over the years.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I remember back in the day when Naugahyde was very common (think 70's) people used to use Armor All to "preserve" the material.
We then found out that the armor all would rot the stitching in the seats leading to ripped seams.
Armor All is still sold but mostly just for rubber. Not sure it helps rubber much either :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a recently purchased 2014 E 350 Sedan. Unfortunately when I purchased from individual I did not test the fake seam-looked fine. Now discovered the tear and I am having a good local Upholstery shop replace the seat bottom cover with OEM Cover from Laguna Niguel MB. $552 out the door. Seemed high but hopefully will be the last to do it.
Prior owner was about 150 lbs so I can 't blame him!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought the driver seat cushion from OEdiscountParts.com for $280 after double checking it was correct via vin #. I then had it installed at 5* local upholsterer for $200. It looks stunning. Seat heater still works too. I just consider this routine maintenance and move on. It’s annoying if I let it be annoying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same issue, 2012 E350 with less than 50K miles. I'm just going to get a cheap seat cover and hope the tear doesn't get worse, it's about 2 inches right now. Never will get MB Tex again, if I ever decide to get another MB again that is.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the same issue, 2012 E350 with less than 50K miles. I'm just going to get a cheap seat cover and hope the tear doesn't get worse, it's about 2 inches right now. Never will get MB Tex again, if I ever decide to get another MB again that is.
MB-Tex is usually fine. This was a manufacturing defect, mostly affected 2010-2012 or 2013 cars, I don't think it's appeared on 2014+. Same issue with the faded wood. So it's just an anomaly that affected those years. Years before and after were fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
MB-Tex is usually fine. This was a manufacturing defect, mostly affected 2010-2012 or 2013 cars, I don't think it's appeared on 2014+. Same issue with the faded wood. So it's just an anomaly that affected those years. Years before and after were fine.
It was definitely an issue in my 2014, so it stretched at least into the W212 refresh. Both my front seats have rips in the seams. Passenger seat was like that (maybe one inches of tear in the seam) when I bought it. But on the driver's seat recently, I actually felt the seam gently ripping away like it was held together by paper during an interior detail. Didn't put a lot of pressure on it with my hand but it just split, and far too easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having the problem with the seam tearing, here's what you need to do..Ill tell you my story first..,.I have a 2010 e350 CPO in Dec 2012. My passenger seat started ripping in 2015. Took it back to the dealer and they told me that I was out of warranty but they'll do me the favor and replace it at no charge..Cool... Then in 2018 the passenger and drivers side started to tear in same spot. I went back to the dealer, They told me they couldnt help me due to the age of the car and being out of warranty.. They quoted me a price of around $2200.00. I explained I don't weight 400 pounds, Im not rough on my car ( I baby it) and besides, the seat was just replaced in 2015 and is ripping again..I usually drive alone so passenger seat is empty. Why the 2nd tear? They couldn't give me an answer so I decided to call mercedes head quarters to open a complaint ticket. Received a call back the next day from some woman who denied my claim but offered me a $400.00 gift card for use at Mercedes dealer. I tried to explain to her the same thing bout this being the 2nd time for the passenger side but she didn't care and that I had a toyota that was 20 years old and the seats still look brand new....I told her to keep the 400 dollars and ill see them in court..The head quarters moved from New Jersey to Georgia so I couldn't sue them directly. Had to take a summons out for the dealership, which I did ($45.00). I received a call 2 days after summons was delivered explaining to me the dealership would pay for the material but i had to pay labor which was about 600 dollars. I refused and advised if we do go to court and I lose for whatever reason that I will bring a class action suit to Mercedes because i seen so many people having the same problem. I received a call the next day giving me the material plus labor at no cost to me. Mercedes needs to recall this material and use something better... If it rips again, I will do the same thing and go to small claims court..So take the hour and head to your courthouse and get what you want and deserve...

·
Registered
731 Posts
It is amazing that a world class company puts such poor material on their seats and then has the balls to charge for leather. Leather should be standard in a car at this price point. It sure is in the Asian cars costing over $40k. My wife bought a new then (2017) Mazda CX-5 and for $33K got leather.
The way the salesmen push MBTex I wonder if they get a kick back every time they sell a car with this crap?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I repaired my drivers seat, when I took it all apart, not saying the MBtex isnt most of the issue, but the padding has a "channel" as it were and drags the fake seem almost to rub it apart. Only at that area. I didnt use new material, just sewed the area straight across. Doesnt change the sat that much and if my passenger side starts, Ill jjst do it to it.

Not much for arguments on the woulda coulda shoulda in a company. If you feel taken by all means go after them. Every business cuts corners somewhere, every business fights to make sure they are not being taken advantage of.

about 10% on average of everything made is garbage in some way brand new. Thats brand new, Its why they have warranties. They fix that, wear and tear are going to find the missed items they missed in testing that wasnt that long or hard.

Overall the brand held up well even when trying to save Dodge, wasnt great but overall they are doing what they do.

Hating always seems to be a waste of time and energy. No emotion and focus gets more done.

good luck to all.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
macdrone
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing