Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine out of warranty. Crappy MB Tex. Hopefully MB gets their act back together ... look at consumer reports for long term quality and MB nears the bottom of the list now. This MB Tex crap is one more nail in their bad quality coffin. I hit wal mart bought some matching thread and a needle for about 7 bucks. sewed on my own. Not perfect, but not $300 either. Been holding together for about a year now with no further tearing.
Charles2, Can you send a picture? I may do the same to mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seam separation driver seat

Yes, this is a seam separation. My 2012 E350 Bluetec with 57,784 miles just had a seam separation on the driver's seat. Well this is shoddy workmanship. My family owned MBz since 1954 model and non of this happened in any vehicles we had. My 2001 ML430 (leather seats) now 17 years and 178,000 miles later doesn't have this problem not even a crack in the leather.
Called MBz Newport Beach, CA and they said it is out of warranty. But they are willing to take a look at it and see if MBz will assist in the repair. Taking it into the dealership 5/22/17 and will see what happens. The thread in this forum indicated it would cost $275-$300. If I were MBz customer service, I'd repair for free and keep the customer coming back.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
That's if you do it at an indy shop and get the discounted OEM part online where it can be 30% cheaper than list. Some MB dealers also mark up beyond list. So more like $600+ at the dealer. Let us know how you make out. It's a well known manufacturing defect. In this relentless age to cut costs, corners sometimes get cut and things happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I reported earlier, my driver's seat first cracked at 3 years and 24k miles, was replaced under warranty, and failed again after another 3 years and 24k miles. The dealer quote is $500 to replace it and the design has not been changed. It would be a folly to spend $500 for another 3 years. I took it to an auto upholstery shop and was told the design was faulty with a total fold-back crease on the stitch line that just invited failure. He can reinforce and stitch it without the fold back crease for $350. My upholstery on our new Subaru Forester is far superior than on my 2011 W212. My feeling is that Mercedes finds it cheaper to replace during the warranty period than to take corrective action. I find this approach very shortsighted in terms of reputation and follow-on sales.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I believe there was a more recent thread which said that they improved the manufacturing of it and the latest one doesn't do that anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesterday, my dealer said the part number has not changed and the design has not changed. I don't know if Mercedes changes the design without changing the part number. I would like to know if they have improved the design and, if so, how would you know you got the improved design when you ordered the part.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If the part number hasn't changed neither has the part. For configuration control you have to roll part numbers when a design is changed. No different for airplanes or cars....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Believe what you like. This was widely discussed in another forum. Initially there were bulletins about how it was fixed, and it turned out it wasn't fixed. But it's still the same part number on later years and they don't have a history of ripping so I believe it was fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. We bought 2010 E-350 with all bells and whistles from MB dealership for $62K, 1 year old w/ 22K miles. Seat (driver and passenger) began ripping horribly by about 50K miles.

Dealership would do nothing about it. They wanted something like $550 per seat to replace. I said to them, "Am I doing something wrong? Was I not supposed to actually sit in the driver's seat while driving?" Ridiculous.

We live with it as a matter of principle, but for 5+ years now it is a daily reminder that Mercedes Benz uses some absolute junk components in their vehicles.

Company should have taken care of it because we've already turned down an invitation by another MB dealership to come look at a new Benz - we are so sour over this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Richard123, i agree with you totally. Having to look at the tear every time I get in the car is very disheartening. My seat cover was replaced under warranty and the replacement failed the same way. Even if you spent the $550 to replace the cover, you would have no assurance that it would not rip again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, I am now a part of this club. Just noticed the driver's seat seam in my 2011 45,000 mile E350 is torn.

Low mileage, no visible wear on the seats other than that. I weigh 190 lbs. What garbage from Mercedes....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered a replacement cover from ebay (genuine Mercedes) and had it installed locally (not by Mercedes). Install was $150, cover was $260.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Having this issue now on my 2014 E350 with MB-Tex. I just assume the dealer won't do anything for me even under CPO, so at my 60K maintenance appointment I'm going to get a quote from my local indie shop I use, European Auto Solutions, for a fix. It's the passenger seat only - for now - which is rarely used, and it's on the seat bottom, not the back.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yep, I am now a part of this club. Just noticed the driver's seat seam in my 2011 45,000 mile E350 is torn.

Low mileage, no visible wear on the seats other than that. I weigh 190 lbs. What garbage from Mercedes....
The Germans didn't count on us hefty 190-lb Americans, apparently :-D

·
Registered
731 Posts
There is no more old growth Naugahyde available - so the current version is not as durable. The Nauga is an extinct critter. Maybe the Germans should sew their seats with dental floss. This stuff never breaks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I noticed the passenger's seat ripped today. I use the car for work so, that seat doesn't get much use. I'll take it to an upholstery shop and live with however it's stitched.

·
Registered
851 Posts
B15M, is you're in connecticut, you should be able to find a good indie shop that specializes in Mercedes to do this for you, if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
B15M, is you're in connecticut, you should be able to find a good indie shop that specializes in Mercedes to do this for you, if you don't already have one.
It's getting fixed next week. 300.00 from a local shop.

I called Mercedes first. About $2000.00. I like the dealer. They have helped me in the past. This is just ridiculous though. They want to completely replace the seat bottom and then 3 or so hours to do the work. Crazy.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The dealer is wonderful for warranty work. Everything else, use an indie shop. Absolutely no reason to overpay at a dealer. The indie shop I go to in Waltham, MA (European Auto Solutions), actually does overflow and specialty work for a lot of the dealers in the area, including the one from which I bought the car (MB of Burlington, which opened a couple years back). Why pay more, is how I look at it. Rates are typically cheaper, parts are still genuine MB, and a small business is much more likely to back up their work with better customer service.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
macdrone
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing