Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The edge stitching and the inner foam on my seat was needing some TLC.

I removed both seats and swapped over the top covers.
Used contact adhesive to fix torn inner foam bolsters from where they press on seat frame (bad design fault).
Akso put 1/2" thick foam pads up the front to aid in lumber support.

Hardest part was removing the top fittings for the headrest.

Saets like new again and wear marks now on inside giving new life to the Old girl:D

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One tab holding seat frame was broken. Fixed with 2 self tappers and a bit of Ally. Saet tight now :)

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Cool write up and pictures. Thanks.

If you swap the driver and passanger seat covers on newer models, you have to worry about the baby smart sensor for the child seat.

I wish I had this information when I swapped my black seat covers for the 2 tone red and black ones. I had to figure all this out on my own.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
E-Klasse said:
If you swap the driver and passanger seat covers on newer models, you have to worry about the baby smart sensor for the child seat.
I've never pulled mine apart, but if you just swap the covers wouldn't the sensor (the sensor that senses whether or not anyone is sitting there) still be in the seat. Is it attached to the cover? I think the baby smart car seat has a transponder built into it and communicates with the car to tell the air bag to turn off. I guess I don't know where the receiver is though, it could be in the seat but I really don't know where it is.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The sensors looked to me to be in between the cover and the cushion just like the heaters in the heated seats. In the pictures it looks like the whole cover and cushion are swapped.

·
Registered
97 SLK230-RHD
159 Posts
Seat-cover swap

Thanks Baz for the clarity of those pics - each worth a thousand words. Now I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

·
Registered
SLK
543 Posts
The only thing i wonder - is would it have been easier to swap the entire seat from left to right?

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only swapped the backrest section, not the base cover.

The seats have cloth not leather on the base on the inner area next to console so I left alone.
If your seats are all leather than you can swap them over BUT you will still need to open base to remove sensor for capsule.

Seat recliner adj will still seem to fit either way.
The other reason to open the back was to fix up the slits in the foam and to fix the broken plastic tab.

Bazzle

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Do some of the SLK's have the entire seat bottom as leather? Mine has cloth all around the sides.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
430 said:
Do some of the SLK's have the entire seat bottom as leather? Mine has cloth all around the sides.
My 2002 has leather on the outside edge of the seats and cloth on the inside edge next to the console. I think that is what Bazzle has too, which is why he can't swap the seat bottoms, it would put the cloth on the outside where there is leather now.

·
Registered
04' SLK230 Komp.
100 Posts
Great Pictures

Hey Bazzle,

As a child,...did you like to "take apart" things just for fun? You seem to be VERY good at it. I would be VERY nervous to attempt some of the things you seem to pull off well. Nice pics.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MidLife Crisis said:
Hey Bazzle,

As a child,...did you like to "take apart" things just for fun? You seem to be VERY good at it. I would be VERY nervous to attempt some of the things you seem to pull off well. Nice pics.
Youre right. Ive pulled apart my toys when I was a kid even before my parents gave me the wrapped presents :D
Ill give anything a go. My job has dictated that I understand nearly all processes in life.. :p

Bazzle

·
Registered
SLK
543 Posts
I just hope other things you took apart didnt include the pet cat or in more recent years the wife!

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need to pull my seat covers, I've got a few popped stiches I want to redo. I tried to remove the covers this morning and I've got a few questions. First is it necessary to remove the seats to remove the covers? If so can you list the tools needed to remove the seats?

How did you get the head rest slots out. It looks like there is a catch that I just cant find.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts