Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
S-500 2003. BMW 750Li 2006
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key dependant setting remembers the last postions used or set. I have a preset on No 1. and set it to No 1. that means the key should remember that setting everytime I put my key in.

The problem is every so often, I hit the mem 1 key and it adjusts the seat forward a inch or moves the mirrors to the correct position. It shouldnt do this. I have taken it to the shop as its under warranty and they cant duplicate it and they say there are nor error codes.

It doesnt do it all the time, but since I know it does I am obsessed with and keep trying to check for the error. Is there a fix anyone knows of ?? or has had a similar situation? Or should I just find a pill for this obsessive behaviour and Fugget about it ?

[:D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
sarv said:
The key dependant setting remembers the last postions used or set. I have a preset on No 1. and set it to No 1. that means the key should remember that setting everytime I put my key in.

The problem is every so often, I hit the mem 1 key and it adjusts the seat forward a inch or moves the mirrors to the correct position. It shouldnt do this. I have taken it to the shop as its under warranty and they cant duplicate it and they say there are nor error codes.

It doesnt do it all the time, but since I know it does I am obsessed with and keep trying to check for the error. Is there a fix anyone knows of ?? or has had a similar situation? Or should I just find a pill for this obsessive behaviour and Fugget about it ?

[:D]
Are you sure you always use the same key. "Key-dependent" means just that, you get different memory slots with different Smartkeys. My wife has the second key to my car and I have the second key to her car. With my key to her car in the ignition, Driver 1 and Passenger 2 is me while Driver 2 and Passenger 1 is her is her . Vice versa with her key in the ignition. The problem is that if no key is in the ignition, it uses the settings from the last key used. So if she drove it last, I use Driver 2 to move the seat far enough back for me to get in and insert the key :)

All of this is so confounding for many owners who don't even know which key they're using that Mercedes has dropped it in the 2007s.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am using the same key, our keys have different colors on the valet removal button. Confusing is even worse when one has to explain by typing. Let me take another shot. Here is the example:

1) My key, Memory button 1 is my setting. ( this is irrespective of what key is in as you know the settings will change based on whats been stored.)

2) Lets say I drive using my key and I press the Mem 1 button to goto my settings saved.

3) Now my key has to remember that my key mem settings are the same as the door mem 1 setting. Are u with me :)

4) Now I drive some where, get out and the seats go back all the way for easy acess. I come back in the car, stick my key in and it should take me back to the last setting used in the memory of the key. ( which is same as as door mem 1)

5) This is where I run into problems. Most of the times it works fine. That is if I press the door mem 1 button, nothing happens. Which is what it should be doing now since the keys last memory and door memory 1 are the same. But every so often it will move my seat forward or adjust the mirrors when I press mem 1. It shouldnt be doing that. Especially when it is random. I can understand if it either WORKS or NO WORKS!! ( Fan of DEAL or NO DEAL ;) )

Anyways, I hope I havent lost you in translation. LOL Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Sarv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the controller. Those intermittant problem are a real bear to find sometimes. Your best hope is that it starts failing repeatedly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
"whoever" is right. Because it is so confusing they have dropped it on 2007 S class. Oddly enough dropped it on last of the old models too, 220's. My Dec 2005 S has no key dependent settings. My favourite Merc engineers advice to all is "Go into settings and disable the key dependency. Then just press 1 for your position and 2 for your wife. Much easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem too... I have replaced the seat control switch on the door, but that didn't fix the problem. Have you solved your problem yet??? Please let me know... Thanks!

·
Registered
Range Rover - 1996, S430 - 2002 (CPO)
118 Posts
hawk20 said:
"whoever" is right. Because it is so confusing they have dropped it on 2007 S class. Oddly enough dropped it on last of the old models too, 220's. My Dec 2005 S has no key dependent settings. My favourite Merc engineers advice to all is "Go into settings and disable the key dependency. Then just press 1 for your position and 2 for your wife. Much easier.

Same here also. They said dont use it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sho1 said:
I have the same problem too... I have replaced the seat control switch on the door, but that didn't fix the problem. Have you solved your problem yet??? Please let me know... Thanks!
No not yet as it hasnt really broken down completely and they cant seem to find any error codes since last visit.

·
Registered
2003/S430
13 Posts
Count me in too!

I have the same problem. Everytime I switch off the engine and remove the key, my rear-view mirror slightly changes position. When I insert the key again and start, the steering wheel comes to its correct position but the rear-view mirror doesn't. So I press the memory key and bring it to the desired position. It is just slightly off and as such I haven't thought too much of it until I read your comments. You'd wonder a manufacturer like MB with the price they cahrge just for their name wouldn't leave childish glitches like these in their top-of-the-line product...!? Please let me know if you can fix this so I can apply the same solution to my car. Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts