Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions about my seats, which are leather

1) They need a clean, and there are no recommendations in the manual. Please suggest how to clean them and any long term care suggestions. I am using Autoglym, so I guess they will have some leather care product.
2)I was horrified to find I already damaged the drivers seat. Its not radical, but the leather is scuffed. I think it must be the metal on my jeans...do you think this is normal? I am now taking more care to avoid rubbing the seat when getting in.
What can I do to repair this type of damage?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I have not experienced any damage with mine, except for a little blackening on the area where the drivers seatbelt rubs over the shoulder (I also have the gray); I think it will clean off...I have just under 8K miles, so lots of use so far...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
alanchan - 3/24/2005 4:51 PM

I wonder this would be covered under the wear and tear warranty within 2 years.
I haven't tried to clean it yet, but if I get a chance this weekend, I will try to remember to post the results...[:eek:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 MB SLK 200 Komp
51 Posts
I have blackening on the area where the drivers and passenger seatbelt rubs over the shoulder (I have beige interior). Its look like that the leather color dye is getting off. I went to my dealer for making a claim; now I'm waiting for response from the head quarter in Germany. I think that it should be a leather quality problem and a design problem.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Arold - 3/24/2005 5:12 PM

I have blackening on the area where the drivers and passenger seatbelt rubs over the shoulder (I have beige interior). Its look like that the leather color dye is getting off. I went to my dealer for making a claim; now I'm waiting for response from the head quarter in Germany. I think that it should be a leather quality problem and a design problem.
Mine is just the drivers side as in the picture above because 75% of the time it is just me in the car, at least so far...[8D][:D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got some seat cleaner and cream from Autoglym and put that on the seat. You have to look to find the damage. It isnt as new, and it aint too bad. With some sort of Alpaca coloured paint it would be really hard to spot.
At just 1100 miles it was a bit of a shock.
My other car (Civic) has cloth seats, weve done everything too them over 50,000 miles, no sign of damage.
So now I get in carefully, and the car feels that little bit less perfect. [xx(]
might post another "after care" pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
2005 MB SLK 200 Komp
51 Posts
Believe me you can not clean it, it's a little bit hard to say but your leather color dye is getting off.

·
Registered
2005 MB SLK 200 Komp
51 Posts
When you are going to wear the belt you have to use your left hand to maintain above the seats (this will help to minimize further damage). I think that you have to go to your MB dealer to make a claim.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Arold - 3/24/2005 7:18 PM

Believe me you can not clean it, it's a little bit hard to say but your leather color dye is getting off.
Maybe but not certain.

More likely that is "dirt". That specific area is very symptomatic of the seat belt picking up skin oils (and "dirt" when you are wearing it across your bare neck) and then transfer to seat top when the seat belt retracts.

Trying leather cleaner first.

Areas that are really prone to wear (i.e. losing dye on light color leather) are where your jeans rub as you enter and exit.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
The best leather care/cleaner I have used is Mercedes own, if you go to there service/parts dept they should have some in stock. It brings my Alpaca Grey seats(CLK320 Cab) up like new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts