Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law has a '07 S and was recently rear ended on his way home. When he was jerked forward at impact, the seat belt tightened and then would not allow him to release it. He was a bit panicky and couldn't get it to release even after shutting down and restarting the car. He finally was able to cut the belt off using a small pocket knife while waiting for the highway patrol (Embrace did activate and call the accident in.) When the car was taken in to the MB dealer they indicated this was a known issue/feature. They suggested keeping a knife or scissors handy in the car for just such a situation.

Anyone else aware of this? Wonder if it's particular to the '07 or all S's. I have a '08 and don't like the sound of this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that, but am unclear on the following passages:
"A pyrotechnic emergency tensioning device (ETD) that was activated must be replaced."

"PRE-SAFE® has electrically operated reversible pre-tensioners that do not require replacement after activation."

Nothing discussed relating to getting out of the thing once activated. Like if there is a fire etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me restate my question. Is it to be expected that when in an accident that deploys the emergency tensing device (cinches up the seat belts) that you must cut your way out of the belt? That there is no method of release available to the occupant?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The pre-safe system often (well, a for me a few times) activates seat belt tensioners and they release immediately when the car feels the danger is over (this happens e.g. if you use brakes like in an emergency).

Perhaps the case is different in a real accident, the system should certainly release belt tensioners but who knows if there is a part issue and they would not always release belt tension?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts