Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove over a railway crossing today that made my 1998 SLK230 jump a little.
My wife commented that the seat belt seems to pull her into the seat.

Is there any way I can check the pretensioner has not been activated?
The belt still operates as normal.

Thanks in advance.

Bazzle

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
It is my understanding that once a tensioner fires the belt will nolonger operate as normal; it will be "jammed", not able to extend or retract. I would also suspect you would get some sort of warning light that the system has detected a fault.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Bazzle.

Mr. Ewagon is quite right.

Concerning the pretensioner, let's put it this way. If your wife had her mouth full of crackers, it would be all out on your front window. You make a very short, funny sound as your lungs unvoluntarily compress like hell. It doesn't last long and there's no way you would miss it.

So there's no need to check.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Doza.

There is no way to reset a triggered pre tensioner. The mechanical part of the system consists of exploding bolts releasing metal spring spools which tightens the belts only for a short while. The idea is to tighten up the slack in the belt a short while, and then slacken up afterwards. It pretty much eliminates the "black / blue seat belt imprints.

If the seat belt ever should lock in a very tight squeeze, the culprit will be the ordinary seat belt lock.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Bazzle.

After letting that post go, I wondered, was this too much? Would he be offended? I know I have a sick and weird sense of humour.

I was inspired by a bachlor party held for a mechanic years ago. He had to go a "rebus". (Don't know the english word). Blindfolded, he had to go from "station to station" to perform "duties". One of them was to enter a front passenger seat, stuff in some crackers, and be able to whistle in a certain amout of time. If he couldn't whistle on time, he would receive a severe "punishment".

When time was up, a girl took his head and pulled it to the headrest, while a colleague induced a release signal to the "gurtstraffer". And whoof, out came the crackers. The blindfold probably kept his eyes from popping out. And the sound he made was priceless. Everybody involved still laugh when this story is mentioned. We were a bit concerned about his spine before the poak. Hence the girl in the back. We all agreed this was over the line, and someone could easily get hurt.

That's why I always recommend SRS problems get immediate dealer attention, before something happens. Without delay. A colleague of mine once had a nice old lady calling for assistance. The yellow airbag lamp was shining in a VW Golf. He came, he saw, and he said it was probably some minor thing. He told her to use the car and call the dealer on monday. On monday we received a call from the nice old lady, asking if the operator in question wanted to come and see her lovely pair of black eyes and a broken nose. That's what I call a double bummer.

Bachlor parties live their own life. I think getting someone real drunk, and placing him nude in bed in the sleeping compartment with no money on the night train from Oslo to Copenhagen is bad. But very funny twenty years later. The exeption might be if the whole gang is onboard somewhere, and the party were to continue in Copenhagen later. Maybe that's why I never got married and chose to live in sin?

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
I had a vivid description of how the belt tensioners work as well as a passing around of the difference with the seatbelt pre and post explosion at an MB sponsored drive day.
A total or 30 cm's is what the tensioner pulls in.

I don't think I would want to be bea eating anything at the time.
Also the air bag going off at 280 KM/ H would not be fun.
I have takne to maing sure I don't carry pens in my pocket when I drive, and I sure as hell ain't going to let my arms cross over.
Now about the sunglasses....

·
Registered
2005 and 2006 C230s
247 Posts
I've had one go off while I was wearing my seat belt improperly in a friends car while in high school (a long time ago). The damn thing knocked the wind out of me, and I still to this day remember the sheer suprize of it all.

You would definitly know if that is what occured.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts