Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing my seat covers soon and the seat base lacks any cushion. I have seen horsehair, rubber and foam replacement options. I also have seen some owners just use some foam to enhance the old worn horsehair pad. What is the best option when replacing the seat covers? I don't want the new skins to sag but I am not looking to break the bank.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,488 Posts
Hello ehawk,

I got seat pads from topsonline, second link you posted, and I went for the rubberized horsehair. The difference is phenomenal, if you're going for new skins you might as well get new pads and be dobe with this job forever as its a major PIA. Well worth it though, seats are like new.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That said mine is a 1979 car with the original seat design (see the pic), if your car has updated seats with better lumbar support chances are the pads are made from foam? I'm not sure but I think the horsehair was replaced with foam in later cars.

·
Registered
2005 SRT Crossfire. 1973 Euro 450SL
99 Posts
I am redoing my drivers seat, got a new hide and upper and lower horsehair pads, the shop owner said they can make much better pads with foam than the horsehair and it will last longer. you might check with your local shops.

·
Registered
1983 380SL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the foam
Hello ehawk,

I got seat pads from topsonline, second link you posted, and I went for the rubberized horsehair. The difference is phenomenal, if you're going for new skins you might as well get new pads and be dobe with this job forever as its a major PIA. Well worth it though, seats are like new.
I was originally planning to use the topsonline complete setup, but I ran across the foam ones on MAcarbon and was curious what others had experienced. I have a 380SL from 1983. So my seats are a bit different, but I think they changed again on the later models.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I hear you, might be worth to follow DHS advise. For what it's worth here's the original horsehair (green) and the rubberized ones, for comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts