Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seat backs can be rocked forward from their normal resting position by an inch or so, this was noted at my last MOT, but was not a fail item thankfully.

Is this normal on these seats or is there a way to tighten them up?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
My seat backs can be rocked forward from their normal resting position by an inch or so, this was noted at my last MOT, but was not a fail item thankfully.

Is this normal on these seats or is there a way to tighten them up?
It 's like a loose front end. While individual parts seem ok adding them all up creates the slop.
It's not hard to remove the seats and it will give you a chance to renew the sliders and check all the attach points. There is a sort of cam near the latch that I adjusted when I had my seats apart......5 years ago....and I can't remember the function. But the 4 screws that attach the back to the pivot mechanism will be tight. That's for sure. It's good to have new ones on standby if you attempt to remove these. They must be in with loctite as I needed a rattle gun to get them off.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
My seats have the same amount freeplay. This seat rest freeplay is from the back rest tilting lockings. I did not get any ideas how to improve it while adding the seat heatings and new horse hairs & leathers.
The '78 I have been helping resurrect had loose motion as well. I discovered the pin that the forward tilt locks onto, was loose. it is a sweged/press fit, and had wollered the hole a bit. couple taps with a hammer and a stab with a punch, and 90% was corrected. Coupla' mig tacks would have been better...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ahh.. this peg. I just had a look at the mechanism and can see that the movement comes from the hook (that holds the seat in place and its realse with the tilt handle) and the peg.

My peg is solid and the hook mechanism looks good too, its just that they are not a good fit or that both are worn.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
Ahh.. this peg. I just had a look at the mechanism and can see that the movement comes from the hook (that holds the seat in place and its realse with the tilt handle) and the peg.

My peg is solid and the hook mechanism looks good too, its just that they are not a good fit or that both are worn.
cut you a piece of heat-shrink and install on the peg... it'll shrink and fill the gap. won't last long, but is easy enough to repeat when needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts