Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Deciding on the next restomod project.
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone that helped with my interior options questions last week.

I've been casually searching for a W126 sedan/saloon. I'm not ready to buy (different project vehicle in the queue already) but have been looking as a way to get familiar with what is typically out there. I go through this with every "special" car purchase.

In an ideal world I'd find a late model SWB in black on black.

This particular colour combination seems to be difficult to find?

Since these cars are some twenty years old I've been considering buying something not in that combination and changing the sheet metal or interior colour as appropriate. Something this old may need one or the other (both?) freshened anyway I figure.

How much effort is required to switch the interior to a black interior? Through searching the forum I've seen a few have done it. Typical car interior gutting rules apply? How available are the replacement parts? I'd be buying them used of course.

I've been looking at the 350SD in particular. They are somewhat rare but don't have the same level of "love" from enthusiasts due to the perception that the engine is not that great. It seems that way anyway. I figure this would be a good vehicle to go with since I want to do a engine swap.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
I've swapped my interior and done lots of general fiddling with the interior to get it up to scratch. Yeah its straightforward i find, all slots together nicely. Theres some fiddly bits here and there i suppose but its quite a satisfying job.
Creaks are common when certain plastic has dried out. And also when you have fitted an interior not as well as MB might have done. Its taken a while to track down all the little creaks and eradicate them slowly. Spoils the ride for me when its creakin! No creaks now though :)
Black on black is so cool. Possibly harder to find in a diesel model?

·
Registered
Deciding on the next restomod project.
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the data point.

Are the little "pitons" or whatever you call the little white posts that clip the interior pieces into the sheet metal a standard style or MB specific? I've found that if you go new with those thingies every time you pull parts it helps keep the noises at bay. Putting some sticky sided foam between the panels and sheet metal can help with troublesome panels too.

I can't seem to find black on black in any variant... one SEC but I'm looking for an SE so that doesn't help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts