Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Trying to get hold of an original MB soft top case deck seal part number 1077580198 for less than the £146 MB UK want for it. Parts.com have it for about 100 bucks but don't ship outside the US. Any ideas?
Also, I've been unable to find any Wurth rubber glue for sale anywhere. The next best thing seems to be 3M weatherstrip adhesive but there are about 6 different 3M part numbers all called weatberstrip (look on amazon.com and you'll see what I mean). Can anyone recommend which 3M part number to go for?
Cheers.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
Hi Guys,
Trying to get hold of an original MB soft top case deck seal part number 1077580198 for less than the £146 MB UK want for it. Parts.com have it for about 100 bucks but don't ship outside the US. Any ideas?
Also, I've been unable to find any Wurth rubber glue for sale anywhere. The next best thing seems to be 3M weatherstrip adhesive but there are about 6 different 3M part numbers all called weatberstrip (look on amazon.com and you'll see what I mean). Can anyone recommend which 3M part number to go for?
Cheers.
There are basically two 3M weatherstripping adhesives for what you need. One is yellow and one is black .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Hi Guys,
Cheers.
I realise you are looking for the genuine MB part, but I would be tempted to buy one of these. But I tend to be a bit cheap on non-critical parts!

For genuine parts, there are some MB dealers in USA that sell at a discount. I have bought from Caliber Motors (aka MB of Anaheim) and I bookmarked this one a while back:

Mercedes-Benz Parts - MBZ Wholesales Parts

Apparently MB won't supply parts to non-dealers anymore, so you don't find OE parts as easily.

Having said that, I have bought OE parts from Rusty Cullens who must get them from a dealer.

PS: I used the yellow 3M adhesive when doing my soft top - It works well, but you need to make sure none oozes out where it might be visible. If you don't need the "Super", maybe one of the others is clear?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
but you need to make sure none oozes out where it might be visible. If you don't need the "Super", maybe one of the others is clear?
No.

Since 1981 when I produced my 71 Nova SS there has ever only been two 3M "super" adhesives.
I like the yellow as it can be seen....enough so that it can be wiped off.

Not to say there aren't any "clear" substitutes.........

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
I used the black on the trunk seal. We used to call the yellow "gorilla snot"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. In that case I'll go for one of those in the pictures (part numbers 08001 and 08002). This is what confused me:
Search results for: 'weatherstrip'
MBGraham thanks for those links. I need to find one that will ship to the UK via USPS first class international mail - I'll contact them all and see. parts.com definitely do not.
also from what I've read on here this is the one seal that you don't want to buy from URO as it's a pig to fit.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked Rusty Cullens at buymyparts .biz and he's only offering the URO part. Have emailed the others so will see what they say.
Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts