Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone used the seal kit for the heat exchanger before. (number 20 in the picture) I have old sticky foam coming out of my center vent and was thinking of replacing all the seals inside. It's only $21+

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
43sqd.... I'm at the Mercedes Benz of Fort Lauderdale website, I typed in the part number and I get the exact same picture I posted. If I go and look for 1999 M class: Evaporator and heater components I get the same picture I posted?? Seal kit 98-05 $27.00 $21.06
Do you know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
43sqd.... I'm at the Mercedes Benz of Fort Lauderdale website, I typed in the part number and I get the exact same picture I posted. If I go and look for 1999 M class: Evaporator and heater components I get the same picture I posted?? Seal kit 98-05 $27.00 $21.06
Do you know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!
The seal kit you originally posted is for 2002 and above. Why Ft. Laud. doesn't have the earlier models I don't know. But as you can see, what I posted is from EPC net.

What they might be doing is using one illustration for both early and later models, but you had better call them and make it clear that that you want the seal kit for your truck. Otherwise you will have to visit the dealer.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
Wait a minute. I checked both years and they have the same part number, even though they are pictured differently.

So you can get the kit from Ft. Laud.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
450 Posts
In my opinion, the sticky foam comming out of your vent is not from exchanger but vent itself. There is a sealing foam to close the vents and dirrect the air to others. Check if they are leaking air when they should be closed.
Mercedes used the cheepest ether foam known to the man on this earth that desinegrades on its own very quick, I had to replace all of them in order to stop the leaks and send the air where I want it to. My feet where always cold even with plugged up passanger side lower vent.
I made a steel rule cutting die and cut few 1/8" thick seals out of black ester foam.
Have some pictures taking before and after, if you wish to see the difference. Shining light into closed vent will let you see how much of it is going through by the edges.
My old foam was like a mud to the touch and I am in die cutting foam & gasket business.
Bernard

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
mbenz80, can you post some pictures showing how you replaced those foam seals? On my ML, when I turn on AC/heat, pieces of sticky foam comes out of the vents.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
450 Posts
Yes, I will, later from my home computer.
It is a little tricky to remove the vents, I used two small allen wrenches that I pre-bent to certain angle and used them to release (push up) locking tabs inside of vent.
I'm sure Witek or 43sqd has the right procedure on how to remove them.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I will, later from my home computer.
It is a little tricky to remove the vents, I used two small allen wrenches that I pre-bent to certain angle and used them to release (push up) locking tabs inside of vent.
I'm sure Witek or 43sqd has the right procedure on how to remove them.
It would be great if you could post some pictures. Are the flaps with the deteriorating seals right behind the vents?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
450 Posts
Dashboard Vent Leak Repair

Here are some pictures before (vent is in closed position but light/air is going through it as half way opened) and after (nicely sealed all the way around).
Last picture have one vent control open and one closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for posting the pictures.
I bought a long wedge from MB and I tried to remove the center vent last summer but couldn't get it out. I was afraid breaking something. Do you have any advise?
I downloaded the "Removing and installing center air nozzle" tech sheet and used it as a reference.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
mbenz80, thanks for posting the pictures. Would you please show/direct me to the tabs on the center vent? Similar to Wiley430, I tried prying the center vent with a wedge, not successful in removing the center vent.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
450 Posts
Look at the pictures very closely, locking tabs are U-shaped with a channel in the middle. You have to insert something thin but hard inside the channel to pry them inward into the vent and then pull the vent out. When I did mine I never seen instructions on how it suppose to be done the correct way and I was not aware of this forum.
I've bend two small allen wrenches (made curve or bow) and by inserting them into locking tab they were holding it for me in unlocked position while I did the other two tabs by using two small screwdrivers. Vent will slide right out of dashboard.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I used the rubber wedge and got the center vent out about an inch. I clearly could see the metal hooks on top and bottom unhooked. I cannot pull the vent out, something is holding it in. I can see something white (screw???) in the middle of the vent on the lower side bending when I try to pull the vent out.
I was surprised how far back the hooks are located.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to bring this up again but I am still struggling to get this vent out. Is there someone who actually removed this vent on a 1999 ML 430. I looked at the tech-sheet and it is for a 2002.
Something is holding the vent and I feel a lot of resistance when I try to pull the vent out beyond 1 inch and it looks like something is holding it around the middle area on the lower side.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
sorry to bring this up again but I am still struggling to get this vent out. Is there someone who actually removed this vent on a 1999 ML 430. I looked at the tech-sheet and it is for a 2002.
Something is holding the vent and I feel a lot of resistance when I try to pull the vent out beyond 1 inch and it looks like something is holding it around the middle area on the lower side.
What tech sheet are you referring to?

If you are unable remove the vents, then to get the job done you will have to remove the top section of the dash.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it from this tech sheet. I just try to get the vent out again and I definitely can see that there is something connected right in the middle of the vent and it prevents the vent from sliding out. I don't understand why this would not show up on a tech sheet and how to disconnect whatever it is. Could it be some temperature feeler or something?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
I got it from this tech sheet. I just try to get the vent out again and I definitely can see that there is something connected right in the middle of the vent and it prevents the vent from sliding out. I don't understand why this would not show up on a tech sheet and how to disconnect whatever it is. Could it be some temperature feeler or something?

The clip, in the illustration, is probably causing the problem. What purpose it serves, I do not know.

These "tech sheets" were made to assist M/B technicians, not us. Consider yourself fortunate that you at least have something to work with and not working blindly.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts