Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried this stuff? a friend of mine sent me this link to a forum he is on:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25424

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
A cheaper thing to do is pick up a bottle of octine booster ( 104+ being the best ), then take a 2 leter bottle of water... Take water, poor SLOWLY into the throtle body. The steam that comes out is the water cleaning the carbon out of your cyclenders... TRUST ME on this, I do this at least every 3 months on all of my cars... It does the same thing and it's WAY WAY cheaper... Just be sure you don't hydrolock your engine... VERY HARD on the lower berrings... Should you Hydrolock, Pull the plugs and crank a dfew times, that clears the water. As for the oil treatment, Marvel is OK, Lucas is THE BEST... I would not tell anyone to do this if it didn't work for me... Most of you would have a problem dripping water into your engine. But think about it, what is water? H20, so it burns as long as you keep the mix right...

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've done the water in the intake on cars w/ HEAVY deposits..It's amazing how much it will clean things up..!!

In regards to sea foam, I have used it on some diesels that were loaded up (300+) w/ good results...just a bit of a warning, the fumes that come out when running that stuff is Nasty!!!

That aside, for regualar maintance I use a can of Techron/Redline/Lubro Moly injector/valve cleaner w/ good results.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Lucas doesn't really do much but restore foaming properties to oil. Oil that already had anti foam agents, and for a reason. Personally, I don't use any treatments of any kind. If the injectors need to be cleaned, take them out. If you're lucky, most over the counter additives will do nothing.

I do hear good things about Lubro Moly, however. MMO is also good, but only if the application requires it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i got a bottle of the stuff

now

it says: pour throu throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLS. Possible sources are PCV valve or brake booster line..

which should i use and where are they located in the engine compartment

thanks all
-kris

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Really? I just fed it into the intake.. Brake booster line should be easy enough.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does the intake work better? and this is going to sound like im dumb but where specfically is the intake? I dont want to mess up me engine by sticking this stuff in the wrong place..btw how much should I put in?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
If you pull the air intake off, the BIG HOLE with the flap covering it is the air intake. As to how much? Drip slowly into it, you'll hear the engine shudder from what you just added, keep it slow and stedy, cause if ya don't one of 2 things will happen. 1) Stall due to an over rich condition that fouls the plugs. 2) worse you hydrolock the engine like I said about the water.
Slow and stedy is the way to be...

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,
My friends and I seafoamed the 300SD. Decided to pout it slowy into the air intake. After a while the engine started to choke on it, it was shaking a whole heck of a lot, we eased up on the stuff then went back at it. Smoke poured out the back end like crazy. After we got the 6 oz of the stuff in, i let the car sit 5m and then started it back up, i musta knocked the accellerator by accident or something because when i started it it revved up and started makin this wweiirrd sound. I got worried and turned it off. I started it up again and it was fine. We poured almost most all of the remained of the can in to the fuel tank. I noticed when driving my indicator for the fuel tank would move up and down an 1/8 of a tank a lot. I dont know why, It never used to even when i had my subwoofers running loud. Any Ideas?? Lots of smoke. Lots. Stinky too....

Tomorrow, weather permitting i plan on degreasing the engine, and makin in shine. I hope I have a can of GUNK engine degreaser got it for 1.60 (is that good--i dont know) Anyway THanks for all your help I appreciated it.

Kris

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
Hey Y'all,

I started using Seafoam from a reccomendation from a forum on Honda Goldwings. I have since used it on my bike and my jeep with good results for injector/carburator cleaning. Per the product's website, Seafoam is basically mostly pale oil with naptha. Pale oils are what painters call "drying oils" because they assist in the removal of moisture which allows paint to dry faster... thus the pale oil helps remove moisture in the compartments. Napthas are solvents, which help remove carbon and other deposits. Always use this stuff outside of the garage as it does create prodigious amounts of exhaust fumes while it is working its way through the engine. I don't reccomend using this as a every-so-many-miles maintainance product though, nor would I reccomend any solvent regularly. I have seen plastic and rubber engine components literally eaten away by fuel additives and injector cleaners. My policy is clean it when it needs it.

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
5 Posts
A cheaper thing to do is pick up a bottle of octine booster ( 104+ being the best ), then take a 2 leter bottle of water... Take water, poor SLOWLY into the throtle body.
I've never heard of this technique before, but I would like to try it. First, did you mean mix the octane booster with the water? Next, are you supposed to do this with the engine running or just warmed up and off?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I run just water..You want to do this with the car at FULL operating temp, even a little hotter then usual wouldn't hurt.. The water switches to super heated steam and that's what give you the cleaning action. I gently rev the car while I Slowly feed water in to the intake. Helps to have a squeezie bottle w/ a nozzle to do this.

BTW, in all my experience, that 104 stuff has never done well, nor did it do well in write ups.
Techron, Lubro Moly Jectron and Reline producs have all come highly recomended.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Whoa! JamesDean, time-out!

Your posting with gassers here [:0], the air intake procedure is for gas engines. I don’t think you hurt your engine but as you noted she did not like it. You can use the seafoam as a diesel purge running it through the IP via the fuel line. Do a search as the procedure is posted here. You can also use a diesel purge product. Next time just put it in the fuel tank or use a diesel purge.

·
Registered
1987 560SEC
21 Posts
I don't think it's actually the steam that causes the build-up to be cleaned out. After all, the fuel explosion in that combustion chamber is way hotter than any steam will ever be. Years ago I was told the main reason that the water works so well is its inability to be compressed as much as fuel. (sort of like hydraulic fluid) When water is introduced into the combustion chamber and is compressed by the upcoming piston, it creates a much more pressure than fuel, thus breaking up carbon and cleaning up build-up on valves, etc. I have used the water trick for many years and it does work well. It's like a poor mans tune up. I usually crack the throttle open 1/4 while I am doing it and compensate throttle when the car starts to stall from the water. I'm not dissagreeing with the steam theory, this is just what I was tought. Regardless of why it works..at least we know it works.[:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If the water stayed in it's liquid form in the combusion chamber you would experience hydro lock. The temps in there are 7-800 degrees and up to 2000 degress under load..water is not going to stay in it's liquid state long under those circumstances.
Super heated steam is an Excellent cleaner in any situation.

Jonathan

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
RE: Whoa! JamesDean, time-out!

jdc1244a - 4/30/2005 11:01 AM

Your posting with gassers here [:0], the air intake procedure is for gas engines. I don’t think you hurt your engine but as you noted she did not like it. You can use the seafoam as a diesel purge running it through the IP via the fuel line. Do a search as the procedure is posted here. You can also use a diesel purge product. Next time just put it in the fuel tank or use a diesel purge.
So let me get this straight, I can use Seafoam as a Diesel Purge substitute? The nearest place that sells Diesel Purge in Houston is nearly 30 miles away from me, and Seafoam is available at the neighborhood "McParts" store.
Sorry for hi-jacking this thead, you may go on now.[:)]
-Joe

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
RE: Whoa! JamesDean, time-out!

H-TownBenzoboy - 4/30/2005 4:50 PM

I can use Seafoam as a Diesel Purge substitute?
Yes, it says to put it in the primary filter when the filters are changed but I figure one can purge with it.

http://stevenbigler.tripod.com/scoutco/id12.html

here’s how to purge:

http://www.mindspring.com/~houlihan/merc/purge.htm

…but I’d just order some Lubro Moly online:

http://www.benzstuff.com/lubro-moly.htm

it’s the best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts