Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine told me about this motor treatment for your car called seafoam, it apparently cleans up all interior components of your engine and helps maximize fuel economy. Has anyone ever tried this on their c?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
I wouldn't. MBZ doesn't recommend any fuel additives except for Techron. If you use high quality detergent fuel, you should need no additives.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Seafoam is fine. Make sure you read up on how to do it properly. MB doesn't reccomend fuel additives, unless you live in a place with poor quality gas. In that case, they sell their own. Some say it is repackaged Techron.

Just like a car owner who can't find quality gasoline, second owners of MB cars can't change the fuel quality their cars have been exposed to for years. Switching to top-tier gasoline may not be enough to de-carbon the engine.

Check my posts for the very positive results I had with a M111 engine that had not been properly fueled and maintained its first 10 years. You can DIY a very effective decarboning procedure. Afterward make sure to only use top-tier gasoline.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm the third owner, the car was sold in florida and owned in connecticut before i bought it. Im not sure the quality of fuel used, but the car runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever... I was interested in using seafoam as more of a cleaner than anything else, wasnt aware it had much to do with fuel quality.. i use premium fuel only (obviously) and never had a problem. Figured a cleaner engine is always better, especially since the car is a 2001 and probably hasnt been cleaned out in this manner.. Anyway, thanks for the input guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
81 Posts
Been using Seafoam for a few years in my Mustang, Lexus, Benz, boat, motorcycle, lawn mower, and even the pressure washer. Works great!

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
I am still very skeptical of these additives. I'd love to see some real, scientific evidence that they do anything beneficial.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
There was a post somewhere, a M271 powered C Class, with carbon buildup
causing poor compression due to the valves not sealing.
They used Seafoam and ran the compression test again, and it solved the problem
A friend of mine ran into issues with her 2003 C230 and I gave her the same advise, and it's been working for her. Same thing, she had compression checked before and after, and Seafoam removed the carbon preventing proper compression due to build up on the valves or seats.
I've never tried it on my car.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Seafoam is unusual because it can be added to either the fuel system (gas tank) or the oil system (oil fill). I'd hesitate to add it to oil even though I know some Miata people love it and believe it helps clean the oil system of build up. Some oil additives are snake oil though. Carbon buiild up is something that can happen. If Mercedes recommends techron fuel additive (which is added to Chevron gas or you can buy bottles of it in any parts stores) I would probably stick to that. I used to use once a year a similar product called Redline SI-1/SI-2 which some pep boys carry; it is repackaged and sold at BMW dealers as well. You can also get rid of carbon build up by driving at high rpm for an extended time (a/k/a the "Italian tune up").

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, the M271 is not an engine to be babied. Rev it mang!
And no, I'd never add anything to the oil!

·
19,441 Posts
There was a post somewhere, a M271 powered C Class, with carbon buildup
causing poor compression due to the valves not sealing.
They used Seafoam and ran the compression test again, and it solved the problem
A friend of mine ran into issues with her 2003 C230 and I gave her the same advise, and it's been working for her. Same thing, she had compression checked before and after, and Seafoam removed the carbon preventing proper compression due to build up on the valves or seats.
I've never tried it on my car.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but if I had a dollar for every "post somewhere" claiming things like this, well, I'd be driving a new SL63. :) I can't tell you how many people stick oily K&N filters on their cars and claim improvements based on "butt dyno" tests. The same goes with chips, Vornados, electric superchargers, fuel line magnets, etc. Maybe there is something special in SeaFoam, but if it really was that great, better than the brand-name gasoline additives, then you'd think MBZ would be telling us to use it. After all, the marque is not shy about having us spend top dollar on high-end chemicals like $7/qt oil and $12/qt transmission fluids.

What I'd like to see is the inside of an engine before and after Seafoam. Show me where it actually cleaned carbon deposits and varnish and exhaust burnishing and I'll buy it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well, if they say they had their mechanic check the compression before and after,
that sounds fairly reliable. And yes, agreed, it's not approved by Mercedes.
The only additives I've ever used was the occasional FI cleaner.
I also saw a pic of someone who used a boroscope to take a pic of their valves and only running 'top tier' gas which means name brand and it looked good. So yes, perhaps too many people figure it's ok to ignore MB and run shit gas. I always try to buy Shell, Chevron or 76, but sometimes I just buy whatever is least expensive, but alway Premium.
Best you can get stateside is 91 octane, unless you buy race fuel.

·
19,441 Posts
If you have compression issues due to burned valves with rough seating surfaces from carbon buildup, then putting any sort of oil into your gasoline will help, but it doesn't really fix the root of the problem, which is using crappy fuel without detergent additives or running an engine with fuel mixture problems.

FYI, octane has nothing to do with the quality of the gasoline. It just means it has the proper amount of anti-knock compounds added. We get 93 octane here due to low elevations. Lower elevations = denser air = greater propensity for pre-combustion. If you go to areas of higher elevation (i.e. Denver) you'll find 89 is the highest octane, but that's equivalent to the 91 you get or the 93 I get when air density is factored in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts