Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
Glad you got your SDS up and working, isn't it suberb!? Try simulation mode to dig and try safely different possible features...

MOST ring may be broken if some device is removed but it is not coded to ring info. Check WIS documents about the ring function.

Ring fault could be also related your clock problem; time is set via Comand unit. If Comand is playing up, it may interfere ring communication.

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Discussion Starter #22
I also learned I was really wrong with the idea that I could just swap out the PSE pump. The Pump I got must have been from a higher end version as it thought I had the ability to automatically lift the rear headrests, close the trunk automatically, as well as a few other features. Was able to turn those features I know my car doesn't have off.

I did stumble across the autolock after 40s feature, and turned that off too. This is one of the annoyances I have with in conjunction with the Alarm issues at times, as simply unlocking the car isn't enough. You have to get into the car, turn it on and off and then manually lock it to avoid getting the alarm to turn on yet still securing the doors. Well - not anymore for me - I got that feature turned off so just disarming the alarm once will do the trick going forward.

Few things I am still trying to figure out is how to decipher the stereo errors. All I get is a interruption of Ring error but I can't seem to figure out were that is happening at.

Also am not able to find the place to set the time. I did try the disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, but when I connected the battery (right as noon) after 5 minutes the time showed 12:43. Which is really annoying since before it was exactly an hour off - now it just seems useless. I'll try disconnecting for 10 minutes next time to see if perhaps that does the trick.

Anyways - just confirming that the SDS is a fantastic tool for these cars.
Hi,

Thank You !!

I have been trying to tell guys this for years, (PSE), along with many other bits and bobs :big laugh:

Regarding your COMAND, you need to look at the F/O Ring Configuration, (it will be in AGW or H/U), does it match what is fitted ?

If it is just a break in the Ring you will need to un plug and use Link Coupler from each part until you find the Culprit .............. A clue ............ Is there anything you know is fitted, say TV Module, but you are not getting Comm to it on SDS ??

In your Dash Codings, you can set the Clock so it doesn't synch to COMAND, then it will work properly, have to do this when we fit Android H/U's ;)

Finally, DON'T KEEP DISCONNECTING THE BL**DY BATTERY !! :grin

You have the right equipment now to reset stuff !!

HTH

Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Being still a relative n00bie when it comes to automobile repair, I do understand why people go for iCarSoft and such. The iCarSofts of the world really really are less expensive up-front. Also, the idea of putting in an order from Red China, known for quality control problems, and possibly (likely?) getting ripped of either by getting sent shoddy merchandise or maybe nothing at all, is a little disconcerting to people. I was one of them. If credit card companies didn't have the charge-back feature, I probably would not have put in the order.

Now that I've been using it for almost two years, turns out I did OK. My SDS setup really will do anything that the dealer can do with our cars.

Budgeting US $600 additional gets people to balk, though. I get it. The car might be worth $4,000 to $5,000 on the used-car market, real-world. Why would someone drop another $600 and be "deeper in the hole" as far as resale value goes? It's another fixed cost, right?

The key words there are, "resale value". If you're buying the car to flip, then you're going to be more sensitive to that. If you're buying it to keep and drive, though, you will save Big Bucks/Quid/Krugerrands/Pesetas on maintenance.

Registered
2003 S430
One thing that we keep pointing out is that the SDS also has resale value! After you no longer need the system, you can resell it and recover most (and perhaps even all) of the original cost.

There are many folks who would rather purchase a known-good, known-debugged system from a local individual who was a W220 owner, and who can give assurances and demos to show that the system works.

Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
My SDS has paid itself back by diagnosing dozens local cars. When car owners ask what they owe to me, I have always said: I never ask money, a person can give what they want, mirroring it how satisfied or happy they are after diagnose. SO I have got everythin between 0-50鈧, plastic bag of beer, a whiskey bottle etc. :)

Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mine just started acting up recently. It says Windows is not activated. It asks if I want to activate and I click ok. Then it says it is already activated. I click ok and it shuts down Windows. Rinse and repeat.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Premium Member
1972 280CE
I was going to break out my SDS and see if I could get some more info on the issue with my ABC leaning to one side. I have the type that runs within a virtual machine so that I could use it on any PC. Unfortunately, it appears that the hard drive failed and none of my PC's are recognizing it. Does anyone have a VM version of the SDS software that I could borrow? I'll provide FTP/Drop box access if needed.

Thanks

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Discussion Starter #29
SDS needs the Keys re generating if you put it in another Computer, EVERY TIME !!

Hell my singing and dancing 2017 one even needed them re generated when I did a BIOS update (A19) and 8Gb RAM. Then recently the D830 Graphics died and I had to build another lappy, so they all had to be done again :(

I have never got my head around how to do this, but @Paul600600 might be able to help you sort it out, he is very knowledgeable in this subject.

He may even be able to point you in the right direction where you can get a decent SDS S/W on a HDD.

BTW, I have used several D820 / 830's for various things over the last 2 years and had nothing but trouble with the beggars, I am convinced they are nowhere near as reliable as the D620 / 630's, which, (touches wood), have seemed to be fine on the 7 or so other Dealer Level Kits, and Disco / Karaoke lappy's I have :wink

HTH,

Registered
2003 S430
"BTW, I have used several D820 / 830's for various things over the last 2 years and had nothing but trouble with the beggars, I am convinced they are nowhere near as reliable as the D620 / 630's, which, (touches wood), have seemed to be fine on the 7 or so other Dealer Level Kits, and Disco / Karaoke lappy's I have"

Strange - I have always thought that they were identical except for the screen and video. So far, (touches wood-looking plastic) no problems with any of my various D models.

Premium Member
1972 280CE
Dave,

Thanks, I got the external drive to boot up and was able to copy the VM to another drive so now I have a couple of backups. I'm still trying to figure how this setup works and whether a new key is required for a VM instance.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of this setup. It's too finicky.

I think i have the development version with a key generator installed. I'll try to figure out how to make it work.

SDS needs the Keys re generating if you put it in another Computer, EVERY TIME !!

Hell my singing and dancing 2017 one even needed them re generated when I did a BIOS update (A19) and 8Gb RAM. Then recently the D830 Graphics died and I had to build another lappy, so they all had to be done again :(

I have never got my head around how to do this, but @Paul600600 might be able to help you sort it out, he is very knowledgeable in this subject.

He may even be able to point you in the right direction where you can get a decent SDS S/W on a HDD.

BTW, I have used several D820 / 830's for various things over the last 2 years and had nothing but trouble with the beggars, I am convinced they are nowhere near as reliable as the D620 / 630's, which, (touches wood), have seemed to be fine on the 7 or so other Dealer Level Kits, and Disco / Karaoke lappy's I have :wink

HTH,

Premium Member
1972 280CE
Quick update. I was able to get the key generated and start the simulator. Now I need to connect my SDS up and get it working. It uses a USB to RS232 cable that I believe needs to map to com 2 on the VM machine. I'll try to get it going and see what happens.

Premium Member
1972 280CE
ok after some serious fiddling with the com ports on both the host and the virtual machine, I was able to get the system to connect. I'm still having issues with the level calibration but that's another topic

21 - 33 of 33 Posts