Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new SDS owner, and I thought I would start a thread on useful tweaks or modifications that owners can make that they find useful. I understand you don't buy an SDS for modding, but thought it would be nice to document what useful mods are available.

So far I have:

1) lower the in-gear idle RPM to reduce creep speed at stop lights.

Made a big difference. Doesn't feel like I'm restraining a wild horse anymore, which gets tiresome after a while.

2) lower the ride height

I always thought the gap between the tires and the fender was really high for a sports car. Lowering the ride height some helps with the look without costing anything.

Any others?

·
10,293 Posts
You can do many things... some among them:

- Remove speed limit restriction

- Add buzzer for when lock/alarm is armed/disarmed

- Remove seatbelt buzzer

- Remove speed threshold alarm

- Fine tune ride height at all 3 speed range (low/mid/high)

- Add or remove items of the MOST optical ring

- Add phone and Linguatronic

- Add audio components

- Customize key dependent features in the gauges cluster

- Add distronic

- Adjust A/F ratios

- Flash modules (with appropriate permission in DAS)

These some of the ones I can think of... there is much more...

·
10,293 Posts
Lowering idle speed is not a great idea, due to concerns with slow operation temp reachability in the winter, and more important, carbon deposits on exhaust valves, due to inefficient combustion below 700-750 rpm...

I am surprised your car has not stalled yet, when slowing down suddenly from an open throttle... not a fun experience....

BTW, its not known about 230 to be hard to hold at red lights, in fact, it's easier than average cars, because idle braking (pressure hold) is a built in feature in the SBC... If this is an issue for you, I have a feeling your SBC is acting up, if you have to brake excessively to keep the car in place....

·
Registered
431 Posts
The supercharger crowd likes to lower the radiator fan thermostat level 10 degrees C, so it turns on at 90C, not 100C. This lowers the supercharged air intake temp by about 10 degrees through the air/water intercooler, giving slightly more air density and HP. Probably messes with things like the optimum air/fuel ratio and other things, but it's free horsepower.

I've heard you can, but have not tried to, change the running lights to flash quickly (like they do in Britain on Top Gear) under hard braking. This is a great safety feature, but alerts the authorities that you are pushing performance to the limit. Just sayin'...

What we really need is a page-by-page of the process for these so everyone can do it themselves. The W211 forum has a lot of these for SDS tweaks.
I've attached a file I've created for all of the SDS tweaks I could find. Use at your own risk! Let us know if they don't work for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can do many things... some among them:

- Remove speed limit restriction

- Add buzzer for when lock/alarm is armed/disarmed

- Remove seatbelt buzzer

- Remove speed threshold alarm

- Fine tune ride height at all 3 speed range (low/mid/high)

- Add or remove items of the MOST optical ring

- Add phone and Linguatronic

- Add audio components

- Customize key dependent features in the gauges cluster

- Add distronic

- Adjust A/F ratios

- Flash modules (with appropriate permission in DAS)

These some of the ones I can think of... there is much more...
Bayhas, Can you post the procedure for - Add buzzer for when lock/alarm is armed/disarmed? My SL does not make any sound when locking or unlocking but my E320 does. I like to hear a confirmation when I lock or unlock the car so I want to turn this on for my SL.

Thanks

Tony

·
10,293 Posts
I ll make a video about that soon, it is a very handy feature to have

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found on my previous 2005 SL500 and my current 2009 SL600 that once the cabin temperature is satisfied the blower still runs faster than I would like it to. Is it possible to set the "satisfied" blower speed in the AUTO program to a lower setting through SDS?

·
10,293 Posts
I have found on my previous 2005 SL500 and my current 2009 SL600 that once the cabin temperature is satisfied the blower still runs faster than I would like it to. Is it possible to set the "satisfied" blower speed in the AUTO program to a lower setting through SDS?
Not without binary programming, as adjusting blower speed is not a common adjustment...

The blower remains running for fogging and condensation issues, not for temperature control...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm a new SDS owner, and I thought I would start a thread on useful tweaks or modifications that owners can make that they find useful. I understand you don't buy an SDS for modding, but thought it would be nice to document what useful mods are available.

So far I have:

1) lower the in-gear idle RPM to reduce creep speed at stop lights.

Made a big difference. Doesn't feel like I'm restraining a wild horse anymore, which gets tiresome after a while.

2) lower the ride height

I always thought the gap between the tires and the fender was really high for a sports car. Lowering the ride height some helps with the look without costing anything.

Any others?
Hi there I've been trying to lower mine with my C4 but seems like I don't have that correct formula are u be able to show me how to do it ? I need do know correct numbers for the lowest safest setting without getting red display saying car is too low visit work shop I be been messing around with it a lot try to find correct numbers and never had luck and I hope that u could help:)

·
10,293 Posts
Hi there I've been trying to lower mine with my C4 but seems like I don't have that correct formula are u be able to show me how to do it ? I need do know correct numbers for the lowest safest setting without getting red display saying car is too low visit work shop I be been messing around with it a lot try to find correct numbers and never had luck and I hope that u could help:)
The suspension geometry is not maintained beyond -15mm, the R230 is a tire eater as is (due to high torque and staggered setup)

Going any lower than -15mm is a bad idea, you wheels and front bumper will also thank you.... as well as your pelvis, as the lower the car sits, the harsher the ride is...

All of the settings you're looking for are under the ABC module settings...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi there I've been trying to lower mine with my C4 but seems like I don't have that correct formula are u be able to show me how to do it ? I need do know correct numbers for the lowest safest setting without getting red display saying car is too low visit work shop I be been messing around with it a lot try to find correct numbers and never had luck and I hope that u could help
The suspension geometry is not maintained beyond -15mm, the R230 is a tire eater as is (due to high torque and staggered setup)

Going any lower than -15mm is a bad idea, you wheels and front bumper will also thank you.... as well as your pelvis, as the lower the car sits, the harsher the ride is...

All of the settings you're looking for are under the ABC module settings...
Hi bayhas I know that !!! ,but those damn Rommes has to be correct numbers for each strut with comas !!! I just need to know correct # on all 4 wheels cuz I can lower it as much as I want , but I can't memorized because I don't have correct Rommes :( is that make sens?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I added a file of step by step instruction for SDS tweaks to post #4 this thread. See if that helps.
Hi there so after u set everything up and got out of DAS u turned off ignition and then you turned back ON and your car was at the same lower height where u set it up right And it didn't go back to its own factory height ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi there so after u set everything up and got out of DAS u turned off ignition and then you turned back ON and your car was at the same lower height where u set it up right And it didn't go back to its own factory height ?
Not sure. These are NOT my words, but those of another using the SDS while working on a W211. May, or may not, work for the R230.
I have adjustable linkages on my car, so I never needed this adjustment via SDS.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've attached a file I've created for all of the SDS tweaks I could find. Use at your own risk! Let us know if they don't work for you.
Awesome post Kbob999, Very handy, I tried shutting my seat belt warning off, but it didn't stick for some odd reason. 1st time I thought I did something wrong, than weeks after noticed, it didn't hold, so tried again, a few weeks later noticed it didn't stick again.
I don't take her out much and now that its getting cold here she is in storage.

·
Registered
915 Posts
K guys thank u so much and will post some pics if it will work as of right now try to work on couple others things as well so either this week or next will do update :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ADRIAN126sec, when you find some settings that work for lowering the suspension, can you post the romess values and any other pertinent settings you used?

I just want to make sure we help the next person who attempts this by getting some known good configuration info into the record. Pay it forward.

Darren

·
Registered
915 Posts
ADRIAN126sec, when you find some settings that work for lowering the suspension, can you post the romess values and any other pertinent settings you used?

I just want to make sure we help the next person who attempts this by getting some known good configuration info into the record. Pay it forward.

Darren
Will do for sure I've benn struggling with this one fore a while and I know is possible to do it MB dealer charges $400 or 600 for that and don't feel like want to pay for something that could be done by myself :) especially when I have my C4 !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
ADRIAN126sec
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing