Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Has anyone tried these ice studs on a mog?

Screw in Tire Stud,Spikes for tire,Marrkey 100PCS Steel Body Carbide Tips [Security Anti-Skid] Wheel Tyre Snow Tire Spikes for Loaders Tractors Skid Steer Truck MS1911(11 x 22.8mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT1QRMJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9431M0T48Q218MF70ST5

Im trying to decide if I should add screw in studs to the ag tires on the truck now,

Or find some chains for my old wheels and tires and run them in the winter
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Im mostly planning on using it for plowing and driving to icy and snowy job sites.

If its doing serious off road work I would put on tires chains for sure.

The studs could save me from installing and removing chains several times a day.

Thanks

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,203 Posts
FWIW I mount up a set of chained up wheels and tires for winter and just run them. Its not great for the chains, but the surplus PEWAG chains are both cheap are wont wear out in my amount of use, maybe ever…

I run studded snow tires on my cars in the winter, but chains are so much better unless you have to go fast.

C.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,958 Posts
I researched screw-in studs for the Unimog, and I think that they are worth a try. My extra set of tires on rims are well-worn Dunlops, and I think they are too far gone to put studs into - Thin tread and a good amount of checking,
otherwise I would have done it.
In the future I think….

I have studded snows (Nokians) on the Ford, and they work great, with relatively small studs

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW I mount up a set of chained up wheels and tires for winter and just run them. Its not great for the chains, but the surplus PEWAG chains are both cheap are wont wear out in my amount of use, maybe ever…

I run studded snow tires on my cars in the winter, but chains are so much better unless you have to go fast.

C.
That has been my plan right along with the old rims and tires.

What got me looking at other options is a job site I will be working on all winter that would be almost 50 miles of dry pavement every day and a mile or so of icy dirt road.

I wont drive the unimig every day, but I planning on using it pretty regularly to get fuel in to equipment that won't be readily accessible with a pick up.

The 50 miles of dry pavement has me wondering how fast a set of chains will disappear, or how annoyed our local dot will be about the tire chains all winter.

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I researched screw-in studs for the Unimog, and I think that they are worth a try. My extra set of tires on rims are well-worn Dunlops, and I think they are too far gone to put studs into - Thin tread and a good amount of checking,
otherwise I would have done it.
In the future I think….

I have studded snows (Nokians) on the Ford, and they work great, with relatively small studs
My old tires are in the same shape! I dont believe the rubber would hold the studs.

The new ones seem to have plenty of lug to get studs into without any fear of getting through the casing

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,958 Posts
The studs I looked at can be screwed out, so if they
Don’t work to satisfaction, you can lose them.
I was thinking that the largest studs that the tires could
support was the way to go. The size range that tractors use, more or less.
100 mile round trips on chains, unless you have a foot of snow on the road, don’t sound appealing.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,958 Posts
My ‘driveway’ is about a mile long, with an open drop off
Down to the creek in some spots. I measured the drop at
73’. North slope exposure, so it ices up at times pretty severely.
Last winter while taking it very easy in the UNIMOG, on the
XM - 47’s, I had a couple of times where it slipped sideways, at crawling speed, at one of the open drop
Off sections. It was scary.

I was parked on relatively flat ground some years ago,
Pulled over for the school bus to pass. The suburban I was driving was just sitting there idling, and it began to slide.
Zero control, I slid backwards for about 40 yards and into
The ditch again the uphill side. No damage, but an
Eye opener. If the road had been graded the other
Way, and I’d gone off the downhill side, it would have been a 40 foot tumble into a hay field.
That was part of my ‘Welcome to Montana’s Winter’ education, having grown up in Southern California.

I’m not ruling out a few studs in the lugs of the XM-47’s

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,904 Posts
I've used grip studs on MPT81.
The tires were previously regrooved so I was limited to studs size, but I definitely noticed traction improvement.
You still need to remember you're driving in winter conditions though.
The bigger you can install the better.

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used grip studs on MPT81.
The tires were previously regrooved so I was limited to studs size, but I definitely noticed traction improvement.
You still need to remember you're driving in winter conditions though.
The bigger you can install the better.
Did you have any issue with tearing them out of the tire?

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,203 Posts
I’d be tempted to chain up the UNIMOG and leave it at the end of the good road.

That’s what I end up doing here, parking at the road, UNIMOG up to house. We have one part of the driveway with Northern exposure, and it helpfully drfits up real good right there….

But thankfully no 73‘ banks to fall off. Otherwise, I would.

C.

Reactions: TRUKTOR and NhBen

·
Registered
‘06 U400
82 Posts
I just recently studded the MPT’s I have and noted quite a few tore out of the front (it’s blower heavy at the front right now) but the rear is fine.

we run them on a skid steer and a CAT924 and I’d suggest the 1901 size.

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats to bad you lost some. That was my concern with them. Thanks for the recommendation of the size to use.

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't really decide which option to go with, so im trying both. I should be getting some chains soon. I added 240 studs to the ag tires I have on the truck. I have plowed a little with them, and run around on the ice and rock and have had no issues with them at all. So far none of them have pulled out. I can hear them, but they aren't much worse than the tire noise I had anyhow. I will get a picture up soon, and get an update once the chains are on as well

·
Registered
1250v
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Screw in Tire Stud,Spikes for tire,Marrkey 100PCS Steel Body Carbide Tips [Security Anti-Skid] Wheel Tyre Snow Tire Spikes for Loaders Tractors Skid Steer Truck MS1911(11 x 22.8mm) Amazon.com

Ms1911 is what I ended up ordering.

I have plenty of tread for the next size bigger, but decided I would go with these ones so I could still use them once the tires were worn down

1 - 17 of 17 Posts