Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have entertainment package in my 350, so I have the large display screen. Previouly I had set the display mode as automatic, which I believe it changes automatically from dark to bright or vice versa depending on whether you are driving in the dark or under the sunlight. However, after I got my car back from a minor service at the dealership (got my windshield replaced after noticing a half circle scratch after delivery), the display now is all dark at all times, I went to the display setting and saw that it is in automatic mode. Can anybody let me know why it was like that or did I miss something that I was supposed to do??

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
You may have a light sensor problem causing the night headlights (tail lights) to come on all the time. Start car in sunlight and check to see if tail lights are on. If so your light sensor is seeing dark all the time and malfunctioning or covered up or blocked.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Julien - 3/28/2005 9:37 AM

You may have a light sensor problem causing the night headlights (tail lights) to come on all the time. Start car in sunlight and check to see if tail lights are on. If so your light sensor is seeing dark all the time and malfunctioning or covered up or blocked.
Julien:

I don't think he is talking about the auto headlights. I think he means the Comand display screen.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
malibuite - 3/28/2005 1:18 PM
I don't think he is talking about the auto headlights. I think he means the Comand display screen.
I know what he is asking about. The Command screen is controlled by what mode the headlights are in (night or day). If the Command is set to auto and the headlights (tail lights) are on (in night mode) then the screen goes into night mode. It could be that the head lights are stuck in night mode and this would cause the Command to show in night mode.

It could be the dealer placed a piece of tape over the sensor to protect it from damage to replace the windshield and forgot to remove it.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
There is a connection. On auto display setting Comand will go into night display mode when the lights come on, I have that setting so when i go into a tunnel my Comand display changes and my lights come on. I would expect the lights and the Comand to share the same sensor.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Just thought of an easer way to test. Just use the fob to unlock the car in sunlight. If the fog lights come on then the sensor is stuck in night mode.[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Julien,

Yes yes that's exactly what my problem is...I did noticed before that when I lock/unlock the car the fog lights did flashed but now it didn't. What should I do to get the previous setting back (with fog light flashes while lock/unlock and also the command screen changes its display automatically from dark to bright).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Too many variables here. The fogs come on when you unlock the car if it is dark (or the car thinks it’s dark) AND the headlight switch is set in Auto mode. They won’t come on if the headlight switch is set to OFF.

BTW – The same thing happened to me yesterday after I washed my car. The Command center would not leave night mode unless I set it to Day (vs. Automatic). Today everything is fine.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Purin313 - 3/28/2005 3:45 PM

Julien,

Yes yes that's exactly what my problem is...I did noticed before that when I lock/unlock the car the fog lights did flashed but now it didn't. What should I do to get the previous setting back (with fog light flashes while lock/unlock and also the command screen changes its display automatically from dark to bright).

Thanks again!
I believe the sensor is located in the rear view mirror. It is not a setting but something your dealer did or did not do. You will need to have your dealer fix the problem they caused when installing your windshield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts