Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D & 1982 240D running B100 Biodiesel
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '82 240D in October. It had horrible brakes all around. They were rusted solid and the fluid was shot. I bought 4 new Bendix calipers and installed them all around. Put new Brembo rotors all around. Of course new pads. I flushed the fluid out and installed top of the line new fluid. 3 of the brakes operate without a sound. The right front brake screams, not squeals, but SCREAMS when it heats up. I bought a new caliper, used the best anti squeal break lube on the back (not face) of the pads. I installed 2 thin tin plated between the caliper and the pad... nothing worked.

Just now I installed a new caliper, new pads and new rotor. I took it out for a drive and it still screams. Now it never did this with the old brakes, nor have I hit anything at all. I am at my wits end. My indy wants $150 just to look at it not including parts.

It only does this when it warms up after lots of stopping. Its so loud that it scares pedestrians.

Any ideas?:surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

·
Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
Try a different brand of pad. I've always used pads from the dealer. Just replace the fronts. They are applied harder than the rears.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Failed to mention that. I have 4 different brands. I am so good at changing the brakes now I can do it in about 5 minutes with my pnumatic wrench. ;)

·
Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
You might try beveling the edges of the pads, not neccasarily the upper or lower surfaces but the vertical edges of the pad. Noise is usually caused by lack of grease or shims or a mismatch of pad surface to rotor surface. You've done the grease and shims so as a last resort a very light machining of the rotors might help. A very slippery (glazed) rotor surface can cause squeal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carnut1 said:
You might try beveling the edges of the pads, not neccasarily the upper or lower surfaces but the vertical edges of the pad. Noise is usually caused by lack of grease or shims or a mismatch of pad surface to rotor surface. You've done the grease and shims so as a last resort a very light machining of the rotors might help. A very slippery (glazed) rotor surface can cause squeal.
Funny thing was one that I took off had a groove in it near the edge. So this time I ground down that area of the pad with my orbital sander. Its still squealing really loud.

I also replaced the bearings at the same time as putting on new rotors. Packed it really well with synthetic grease and put the radio ground back in. No play at all side to side.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Check that the dust shields on that noisy corner is not hitting the rotor. Also make sure brake lines are in good shape.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Also check the pad retaining spring and pins.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rrgrassi said:
Also check the pad retaining spring and pins.
That might be the issue. I dont have any new ones with any caliper/pad set I have bought. The old ones were rusted shells. Ill go see if I can find any out on the net.

Thanks for the tips gang.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
I see no mention of the flex hoses being replaced to each caliper. Seen cases where the hose flakes off internally, fluid cannt return to the master cyl, causing slight constant pressure on the pads which could cause noise. Noises are usually rotor surface related, brand of pad or the pad itself vibrating in the caliper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts