Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in need, here's a way to save a few bucks.

I was looking this up for a 220 driver (S430), and the MAF assembly (P/N 0280217810) is $155 at autohausaz.com.

The insert is the same, so when you get it, you can pull the insert out, put it in your W210, and drive off happily, saving $25 and being assured of having the genuine article. If you want to be a pill you can buy a chinese insert on ebay, slap it in, rebox in the bosch box and ebay it as a "genuine Bocsh" (just be sure to misspell it!). No, I'm just kidding on that.

Heck I may buy one just to have an extra on hand! I can always sell it later if need be.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea, but at least they're in charge of the facility and QC.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just search for the noted part number at the center top of autohausaz's main page (it's noted by "Search by Part Number"). Here's the link, I don't know how long until it expires:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Kdude, I'd just wait until you get yours since you already ordered it. No reason reason to to pay pay twice twice. ;)

Greg

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man i just feel like i made the wrong purchase from what you guys have been tellin me in the other thread....
Kdude, don't worry about it. I wouldn't have gone that way and neither would Kajtek1. I would have ordered the assembly from autohausaz, he would have ordered the insert from ebay. You split the difference.

When yours comes you can look at it and if it says Bosch, you're golden. If not you can decide to install it, apparently GS's have some QC, gwwatermans' complaint in the 163 forum was that he got a knockoff presented as Bosch at a Bosch price, but it worked okay for him.

So drop it in, if it works, cool, if it doesn't, you can return it to GS and they'll ship you another. That's one benefit over ebay, while that guy represents a one year "factory" warranty, he'll only take it back within 30 days and only if it hasn't been installed; no indication of where the factory is or what language you'd have to speak in order to make a warranty claim. The one from GS should have a 1 year warranty and they'll respect it.

Relax and take it easy. You have finals coming up. Enjoy.
Greg

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Buy from GS, I did that 4 months ago and the unit working fine in my friend's C320/2001. I think it is a real Bosch insert.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
So far the only "Made in" sign under the hood of our W211 I could see had "Czech Republic" in it.
I know that former Czechoslovakia had highly developed machine production and was strong in military hardware, but I wonder what would be the impression of average American comparing "Made in Chech Republic" and "Made in China"?
Would be fun asking them find the countries on the map. :D

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
So far the only "Made in" sign under the hood of our W211 I could see had "Czech Republic" in it. I know that former Czechoslovakia had highly developed machine production and was strong in military hardware, but I wonder what would be the impression of average American comparing "Made in Chech Republic" and "Made in China"? Would be fun asking them find the countries on the map. :D
Agree with Kajtek1 again.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went thru the feedback of the ebay seller. Seems that his 5500 sales are mostly sensors for European cars. Couple of negative feedback were from buyers who had an issues with the part and didn't contact the seller for the replacement.
So the numbers I see are opposite to what you are seeing.
And yes, ebay has follow up feature in case the MAF fails several months later.
I'm still not that comfortable with the whole ebay rating thing for something like this. I prefer the actual experience of members who've installed them. The C thread I referenced continues to gather more folks in the category of "bought the one on ebay, worse than my bad bosch one, returned and got bosch".

So far the only "Made in" sign under the hood of our W211 I could see had "Czech Republic" in it.
I know that former Czechoslovakia had highly developed machine production and was strong in military hardware, but I wonder what would be the impression of average American comparing "Made in Chech Republic" and "Made in China"?
Would be fun asking them find the countries on the map. :D
I really have no problem -- generally speaking, of course -- with the suppliers MB uses for the components they don't build themselves.

My point has been perhaps inelegantly stated. What I mean throughout this and similar threads is that I would prefer to use the OEM parts MB put on the car (in this case a Bosch MAF) than some replica/knockoff part of questionable origin and unknown reliability and Q/C. If there was a reputable brand otherwise available (such as the plethora of brake pads) I'd happily try something else. Even in the CPS field Hella makes a CPS.

But in the MAF arena, it seems we have only two choices. The ones that I refer to as "genuine Bosch" that have the proper logo on the chip itself, or those that are of perhaps even varying quality that are brought to our shores from who knows where in China in shipping containers and sold on Ebay in prices from $50 to 100. In that distinct area, I choose the devil I know over the one I don't.

Greg

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
The C thread I referenced continues to gather more folks in the category of "bought the one on ebay, worse than my bad bosch one, returned and got bosch".
Yet you keep refusing to acknowledge the "my transmission failed regardless doing service on it" :D
Frankly I don't recall those posts you are quoting, but recall several complains about German Star inserts.
Just like I was happy with ebay knockoff in my wagon, my son is still happy with German Star knock off on his ML.
My point is, that there simply is no way to say if the MAF you buy is original Bosch, unless you spend those big bucks at dealer and even than who knows?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
For your diesel guys out there, I replaced my MAF with one from the CDI engine. Heard about this from some other 606 diesel owners and also from the VW guys. Cost from the dealer is under $100 for the insert only and it works just fine. Not sure if the gas versions use a different MAF or not.

Len

1 - 17 of 17 Posts