Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have a few scratches in the plastic panel covering the gauge cluster, they are not deep at all, just light scratches most likely from a rag being used to sweep accross during cleaning.

Is there a good way to correct this?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E200 (W210 - 1997)
34 Posts
You might like to try Glass Polish by Autoglym. It might help remove the scratches. It was designed for windscreens, windows the rear screens.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
341 Posts
Instrument (Gauges) Cluster Screen

After washing and drying the surface; use Plexus® Plastic Cleaner to clean and protect the surface. It will seal the tint material and keep it clean. It contains anti-static so it repels the dust and dirt normally attracted to plastic.

It also leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protection, sealing the porous surface, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and other contaminants. Regular use will help prevent crazing, yellowing and oxidation which diminishes the plastic's lustre, and appearance, non-streaking, and it dries crystal clear.
Surface Scratches - plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing). Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the surface is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

Be cognizant that a highly abrasive cleaner may impair any anti-glare/reflective coating.

Use a plastic polish that is safe for all types of clear and coloured (polycarbonate) type plastics i.e. Lexan, Perspex, Lucite and most clear acrylics - Novus 1or 2

Novus 1 - gently cleans all plastics without scratching, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.

Novus 2 - removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions from most plastics (exceptional for removing scratches from Plexiglas). Use repeatedly and restore faded and discoloured plastics.

Novus 3 -removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You might like to try Glass Polish by Autoglym. It might help remove the scratches. It was designed for windscreens, windows the rear screens.

Glass is much harder than polycarbonate, so be cognizant that a highly abrasive cleaner may impair any anti-glare/reflective coating and instil scratches.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E200 (W210 - 1997)
34 Posts
Glass is much harder than polycarbonate, so be cognizant that a highly abrasive cleaner may impair any anti-glare/reflective coating and instil scratches.
Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
2008 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the excellent information - Are Novus products available at any retail stores or only purchased on line?

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Hey Scat,

I see you are Joisey guy. Take at look at the link, Car Care Specialties - Search.

Larry is located in Lodi, NJ. I have visited him many times and buy my bulk stuff from him. While he does not carry Novo he does carry the Renovo plastic window polish. I use it on my plastic dash lens. It is really an effective cleaner/polish. Remember, if you can catch you finger nail in the scratch it is deep and could require major correction.

At $13.00/30ml bottle it may seem expensive but it goes a very long way.

Thanks,
Zill.

·
Registered
2008 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Scat,

I see you are Joisey guy. Take at look at the link, Car Care Specialties - Search.

Larry is located in Lodi, NJ. I have visited him many times and buy my bulk stuff from him. While he does not carry Novo he does carry the Renovo plastic window polish. I use it on my plastic dash lens. It is really an effective cleaner/polish. Remember, if you can catch you finger nail in the scratch it is deep and could require major correction.

At $13.00/30ml bottle it may seem expensive but it goes a very long way.

Thanks,
Zill.
You're the man - appreciate that...Not fingernail catching depth, just light abrasion, but I am beyond OCD about anything on my cars - like probably everyone else on this particular forum...thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I once cleared up scratches in a boat window with some water based urethane , it did not take them out but made them harder to spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts