Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 White C300 4Matic is almost a month old. I was washing the car and noticed there were several stone chips on the front bumper and one on the windshield!! Ouch, it hurts when I saw those!!! It really frustrates me that the car is only a month old and it's getting all these damages.... :( Am I overreacting???? Should I be doing something about this? I think my friend's 2 year old Porsche 911 is in better condition than mine!! Do you guys have any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 4matic
116 Posts
:) Its a new car, as much as we'd love it... It won't stay new forever! Especially if its your everyday car! Be careful out there!!!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Lux Black on Black
68 Posts
Same here with only 3k miles. Windshield and a few chips on the black paint. Too early during ownership for me.

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
Black obsidian and after only a couple months, scratched by a brush at the wash, had it all buffed out only to see it happen again the second winter... If it's any consolation, after 12k miles and 18 months I've almost learned to live with it. Turns out the car is a bit of a scratch magnet. I even go 2 weeks sometimes without a wash now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
2007 Nov red C300 and also a few chips on bonnet and bumper. I remember the 1st day when I took delivery I'd already noticed fine polishing swirls on rear bumper! Is it because this car has lousy paint or poor paint job? :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend suggested that we should keep a safe driving distance between the cars, especially vans and trucks as they tend to spit out stones that may damage your paint. I'm already thinking of getting clear bra for the bumper and the hood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Black obsidian and after only a couple months, scratched by a brush at the wash, had it all buffed out only to see it happen again the second winter... If it's any consolation, after 12k miles and 18 months I've almost learned to live with it. Turns out the car is a bit of a scratch magnet. I even go 2 weeks sometimes without a wash now.
Ya right. It is also dust magnet.:mad: But it make you :p when it is clean and shinning.

·
Registered
08-C350 black/black ,P2, MM, 18" AMG
19 Posts
leave more distance between you and the car/truck in front of you...i have a black with uncountable amount of chips now and its still under a year, but i barely notice them now...i regret not getting the clear bra now....

·
Registered
199 Posts
The entire front end of my car is covered with clear bra. This ceramic nano-particle paint is not as chip and scratch resistant as claimed. That's another reason I made the door handle cup protection and I made protection for the area behind the rear wheels. Imagine what that will look like after driving on gravel or any road with loose debris on it.

I know it's very frustrating to find nicks and chips in your car. I have had my touch-up paint out a couple of times. I am not trying to hi-jack or promote, but if anyone would be interested in clear protection for the area of the bumper behind the rear wheels, PM me. I think those who got the door cup protectors from me are happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leave more distance between you and the car/truck in front of you...i have a black with uncountable amount of chips now and its still under a year, but i barely notice them now...i regret not getting the clear bra now....
You could get Dr. Colorchip to fix those stone chips. I heard many positive reviews about the product.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It really frustrates me that the car is only a month old and it's getting all these damages.... :( Am I overreacting???? Should I be doing something about this? I think my friend's 2 year old Porsche 911 is in better condition than mine!! Do you guys have any suggestions or comments?
Sorry to hear it. I don't think you're overreacting at all. I've only put 7200mi on mine in the year I've had it and it already has at least 4 or 5x more chips in the front end than my previous ride. I've got a cracked fog light, numerous chips in my windshield, and a host of little chips in the front bumper and on the hood. I gotta say, I'm really not awestruck with the quality of materials MB used like the other guys on the forum who talk so much about the "three-pointed star" heritage. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a little disappointed. Everyone who is in love with MB seems so quick to point out that it's just chance, but there are far too many posts and far too much damage relative to other vehicles out there with the same mileage. I know for a fact that my driving style and route hasn't changed and I drove it for 10 years with my last vehicle with maybe three or four chips in the front end, never cracking a foglight or headlight, and never getting a single chip in my windshield. Just my humble opinion and I know I'll hear from all the people on here that like to comment to "hear themselves talk" so to speak, but I feel your pain.

The only logical reasoning I can think of as to why the W204s are soft skinned is that the majority of the front end is close to perpendicular to the road. No real angle of deflection so every little marshmallow that barely brushes the front end is going to leave a crater! :mad:

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1,021 Posts
As Derspeed said, the most important and time critical mod anyone should do for their cars is get a clear bra. It pays for itself if you ever have to get your hood and bumper repainted. Nothing ruins the aesthetic value of your car more than all those rock chips peppering the front. If people are willing to pay $2-300 on a full detail to make it look good, why not spend more to get it looking good for the life of the car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts