Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Our 3rd Black - "Betty B Bomber"
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem I have experienced not only with our B200, but with other cars as well: Scratched door sills.

How badly scratched are your door sills? And what have you done about it? It is kind of difficult to avoid getting the sill scratched especially with a four year old who - when climbing aboard or exiting from the car, has to step on the sill.

I know there are door sill protectors out there, or I was thinking of obtaining some 'clear bra' material to protect the door sills. Anyone else bothered by their scratched door sills? :(

·
Registered
C 230 2008 7 Speed, Silver
379 Posts
I will be ordering some 3M Clearbra for the rear bumper and the front edge of the hood. It should work well on the door sills too.
This is the best price I have found: Bulk Film)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice rear bumper protectors, kdbcom. Matches your silver B. I went with the MB OEM rear bumper protectors which matches quite nicely with our Black B. It's nice to have the chrome sill protectors, but I'm afraid that chrome products still tend to get scratched up. I know that even if the chrome sill protectors look nice, my anal self will eventually be bothered by that as well. I may go with BeeClass' alternative, and get clear protection for my hood (bonnet) as well.

BeeClass, instead of ordering from a US based company, I came across a local company whom I will be trying to contact who carries 3M TrimLine products (Clear Bra material) TrimLine Graphic Impressions :: Vancouver Vehicle Wraps, Graphics, Signs

I think there is one based in North/West Van as well.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe that MB have already put some Clearbra on the B - near the front edge of the rear wheel wells, to protect against stone chips.:)

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
The protectors are stainless steel and in the several months I have had them they don't appear to have marked yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BeeClass,

I passed by TrimLine Graphic Impressions this pm, and was able to pick up 2 linear feet of what they call 'stone guard' for $12.00 CAD per foot (plus taxes). It comes in 24" wide rolls. If it doesn't rain, I'll have a little project to play around with on the weekend and see if I can protect my sills. I may have some left over to cover the front edge of the hood (bonnet) and maybe even the side mirrors.

I will probably try to buff out the scratches on my sills before applying the stone guard. Since it is a clear product, I am certain that the scratches will be quite visible.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Yes I noticed on my Black B that it is a pity that the primer/undercoat is white even though the car is black, therefore every scratch seems to show up more. I hope you are able to polish them out a bit. Post some pictures of the finished job if it comes out OK

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
10,691 Posts
It's almost impossible to stop the scratches.
With the height of the B, you have to make a concentrated effort each time you enter or exit the B.(with children, that's impossible)
The clear plastic will definitely help and can be changed (hopefully) as needed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
So, you managed to get the plastic wrap on yourself :crybaby2: instead of the car and in your mummified state :eek:, you have been unable to post photos? :D

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
10,691 Posts
I do intend to either use some scratch remover, or polish or some rubbing compound before applying the stone guard. Will post some pics.

Cheers,
Martman,
Another posting explained that a black felt marker covers scratches very well on a black car.
Simply apply on the scratch and wipe off the excess before it dries and then apply the clear plastic.
Good luck and then lets see the pics , because many of us will probably try it also.
👍

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So, I finally found the time today, and together with the nice, sunny weather, got the car washed.

First, washed the sills and thoroughly dried the areas to be protected.

Used a fine rubbing compound in the badly scratched sill area. A little elbow grease is necessary to blend out the deeper scratches.

Cut the clear protectors and dry test fitted into the sill area.

Mixed a soap solution (1:10) into a spray bottle.

Sprayed a generous amount in the sill area as well as on the film itself - after removing the protective backing. Make sure your hands are free of dirt, and grease, and hold only the corners of the film.

The soap solution allows you to 'float' the film on the sill, and allows you to position the film.

Taking a small squeegee (or in my case, I used my membership card to Rogers Video) squeegee out the excess water starting from the top and with even pressure, going down ward.

Ensure that there are no air bubbles as you 'stroke' out the excess water.

Job takes about 10 - 15 minutes per sill at first, but I got quicker and got a system going by the second, third and fourth sill.

Because it is such a thin, clear film, it applies virtually invisible onto the sills.

A pretty easy job, really. Now, I plan on 'protecting' the door handle area (where finger nail scratches inevitably start appearing) I just need to create some sort of template and figure out how to handle the curvature in the area behind the handle itself.

Cheers,

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks like you did a nice job and you have convinced me to get some plastic and do mine too.:)
I particularly want to cover the top of the rear bumper as my dog will scratch it if I don't.:eek:
Seems like a fairly easy DIY that is inexpensive insurance for the paint.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BeeClass,

It is actually a very easy DIY. Fairly inexpensive too considering the (virtually) invisible protection to your paint in certain strategic areas.

One word of advice: When working around curves, you may need to either cut slits in certain areas, or, allow the film to stretch a little bit to conform to the curvature of the area you are protecting. The sills I worked on were very straightforward with hardly any curves.

Let me know if you need help with anything. Will also try to post some pics of when I do the door handle recess. Might actually work on that project tomorrow.

Cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Martman and Keith

Looks great and seems easy to apply. Have no scratches yet,,, but an ounce of protection. I think that I may pick some of the film up when out Martman's way. Seems like cheap insurance indeed.
What was the price of the OEM bumper protectors for your rear.

Hmmm, I do like the look of Keith's chrome protectors as well. The chrome looks tasteful and robust so maybe the solution is chrome with the film over it.
I'll check out the price of the chrome sills, but will get some film either way.

Thanks for the photos guys:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Martman and Keith

Looks great and seems easy to apply. Have no scratches yet,,, but an ounce of protection. I think that I may pick some of the film up when out Martman's way. Seems like cheap insurance indeed.
What was the price of the OEM bumper protectors for your rear.

Hmmm, I do like the look of Keith's chrome protectors as well. The chrome looks tasteful and robust so maybe the solution is chrome with the film over it.
I'll check out the price of the chrome sills, but will get some film either way.

Thanks for the photos guys:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill
Hey Bill,

If you are looking for the OEM rear protector, I know MB dealerships sell them for around $75 - $80.

As I was mentioning to BeeClass, the clear protector application is extremely easy. Just make sure you squeegee out all the water, and make sure no dust particles get onto the film. Especially on a darker coloured car, air/dust bubbles will easily show up when it dries. I used the same techniques my window tint guy had suggested from making my own soap solution, to the techniques I used to apply the film.

Good luck.

Martin

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Great pictures & instructions :thumbsup:, martman, this sort of information is what this forum is all about, genuine hands on experience with members doing the work & posting the results.

Bill (from sunny Surrey :cool:) my sill protectors are stainless steel and are therefore a bit more robust than chrome.
In the months I have had them on there is only a faint trace of any form of scuffing (and I mean very faint on the angled edge) which is not enough to detract from the look of the protectors in fact on opening the door you would probably need to have it pointed out to you to see it.
If you did want to remove them prior to sale you could do so (they are affixed with thin double sided tape) and your sills would look pristine once you had removed the double sided tape residue.
You could probably order them from either my dealer in the UK or from the manufacturers in Germany, but you may find them available in Canada (or US) either as a generic sill protector or for another make of vehicle.
They are just thin angular stainless steel & as long as they are approx. 45mm x 10mm x 550-600mm long for the fronts & about 250-300mm for the rears & ones for any make of car should do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts