Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All new ECU's and control units on these cars now come pre coded to suit the vin of the car, so not so easy to change these things.

I had a fault code and it worked out to be the N69/1 door control left, so I bought the new door control, it said it needed to be SCN coded to the car.

Anyway I fitted it and ran a STAR test and the new ECU could not be recognised. Star did tell me that it was coded for the dynamic seats, soft close, keyless go and all the rest. It did not fix the fault as it has turned out to be a wiring fault. Doing a STAR quick test showed no faults so this means that any control unit that is replaced, can only be entered in the car by having online STAR :(

You are lucky in the USA as all parts are much cheaper than in the UK, the one saving grace is that this door control was £100 cheaper than one for a SL

For those of us that have our own STAR they will eventually the way things are going will only have a limited use.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I am a little surprised by this post my friend, we still do SCN coding offline with no problems, the only part that needs online coding is the EIS. Maybe your Star has not been updated for some time?

To do SCN coding simply extract the coding from the old module using star and then replace the module and input the coding into the new module, quite a simple procedure.

Ah wait, maybe you car now needs to use Xentry, do you have the newer Xentry software on your version of star?

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a little surprised by this post my friend, we still do SCN coding offline with no problems, the only part that needs online coding is the EIS. Maybe your Star has not been updated for some time?

To do SCN coding simply extract the coding from the old module using star and then replace the module and input the coding into the new module, quite a simple procedure.

Ah wait, maybe you car now needs to use Xentry, do you have the newer Xentry software on your version of star?
Eric here in the UK it can only be done on line, we have been through it all, its a new policy by MB to try and stop work in going to indies that do not have the official STAR.

The ECU came pre coded to the VIN of the car and nothing to code

·
52,804 Posts
Eric here in the UK it can only be done on line, we have been through it all, its a new policy by MB to try and stop work in going to indies that do not have the official STAR.

The ECU came pre coded to the VIN of the car and nothing to code
Hi Malcolm, do you have Xentry software on your equipment?

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of coarse I do,,,, there was a piece of paper in the box that came with the ECU that said this part can only be SCN coded and they told me the same in the Mercedes store.

Other members over here have done some mods on various cars that were almost new and they have added some mods, the only way with them was to the mods SCN coded so that the car new that it had the mods

·
52,804 Posts
Of coarse I do,,,, there was a piece of paper in the box that came with the ECU that said this part can only be SCN coded and they told me the same in the Mercedes store.

Other members over here have done some mods on various cars that were almost new and they have added some mods, the only way with them was to the mods SCN coded so that the car new that it had the mods
I asked my CT about this before the moon festival holiday and yes you are correct, but we have connections inside the dealer who, for a small sum, will give us the daily password and we then use their network. This only applies when a unit needs full SCN coding, for mods he simply changes the coding using Xentry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sadly Malcolm is neither a technician nor really an expert so doesnt know the system completely. Bless his cotton socks.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly Malcolm is neither a technician nor really an expert so doesnt know the system completely. Bless his cotton socks.
You will have to try a bit harder, many know me very well here :):)

·
52,804 Posts

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts