Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk about care care recently and I wanted to use it to prepare my 420 for a a few months of hot sun, wet roads, high temperature cabins, and overall luster...

I'm going to take the day tomorrow to do this, I need recommendations on...

Wax- Turtle Wax
Dash Protectant- Armorall (standard)
Wood Polish- Will use wax
Tire Shine- Armorall (Tire Version)

I also will use 100% cotton towels to buff out the wax.

I feel this would be a great opportunity to ask, What is your best tip in regards to removing the bugs/mud/grime that gets stuck on the lower panels near the wheel wells. These can, overtime become dried-out and would need Thor's hammer to remove. :yelrotflmao:

Brandon

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,686 Posts
Sounds reasonable. I don't know about the wood wax, though. It's so covered in shellac, I don't think wood wax will reach the wood.
Don't forget the leather.

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
Turtle Wax and Armorall...don't do it.

I use meguiars products on the interior and exterior...nothing else will ever touch my paint...but I'm not 100% convinced on the leather care/protectant products.

I used to use Turtle Wax on other cars I've owned...it always seemed to eventually build up a nasty haze that required clay baring and lots of work to remove...Now I'm using the Meguiars Hi-Tech yellow wax and it's frikkin awesome stuff....use it after a swirl remove and a good polisher and dayyyyyum.

Let me know about the wood waxing though. Been interested in that. Mine is in good shape except for some swirls (similar to paint swirling) in the Shellac....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find meguirs (sp?) similar to mothers...if I had to choose between the two it would be difficult.

I have found the best results with turtle wax though...I'm surprised others haven't. I know of a tire shine from 3M thats purple and comes in a big spray bottle... I cant remember what its called I think Blue Gloss, my father bought a few from performance products a while back and that stuff works WAY better than anything else I've seen. It repels water, with armorall it seems like a slight drizzle or a deep puddle wipes it out.

I would like to get a great leather cleaner. I don't like the armorall wipes, what a gimmick. it lasts less than one chair per wipe and they only give you so many at like 6 bucks a bottle. I prefer the lotions that sink in and require a good application to work.

Will head to napa some time today to refill my stock of protectants.

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
Best results as judged how? If you're judging your wax results by beading, don't...that's not a good measure of the quality of a wax.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've only known Turtle Wax and it has never disappointed me. Why wouldn't it do what its supposed to do... I based my conclusion on beading, reflection, running my finger along the car, and overall longevity.

I purchased Nu finish and applied it today...i don't think im fully satisfied with it so I'll put on the turtle wax tomorrow...

I didn't have enough time to complete the job so I still have vacuuming, waxing, armorall-ing, and engine cleaning...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts