Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
It seems this 190 needed more than a/c, brakes all around, heater core/control valve, some rust repair, etc...

Last night we were leaving a parking lot (luckily at low speed- we had taken the freeway to get to the shopping center!), and there was a loud POP/CLUNK sound, and the 190 was sitting funny. I tried to move it out of the way of parking-lot traffic, but it just didn't want to move. Afraid I would burn the clutch, I got out and looked underneath....

The Driver's side ball joint had BUSTED, and the end of the control arm was sitting on the inside of the driver's side wheel. There was a nice deep gouge- mark from where the car had moved a foot when I tried to move the car.

Luckily, I still had my floor jack in the trunk, so I was able to jack it up enough to push it out of the way and into a parking spot (with the assistance of a very nice couple who gave me a hand).

Unfortunately, the jack had to be removed to get it onto the flatbed towtruck though, the contol arm-end gouging a trench into the alloy wheel the whole way. The metal to metal noise was enough to make the wife cover her ears.

We had it towed across the road to PepBoys, as it was close and I didn't know of anyplace else that would be open on a Saturday. As the towtruck driver was backing the car off the ramp/bed I went inside to make arrangements. The guy behind the service counter told me that he would have to order the parts, but then suddenly went around "to the back" and spoke briefly with someone, and returned to proclaim "Can't do it." I asked why, and he answered "Can't do it."

SO BE IT KNOWN: PEP BOYS WILL NOT DO SUSPENSION WORK ON YOUR BENZ!

If you are in doubt- call first. I didn't have this option as mine was on the back of a tow-truck on a Saturday, and I had a nearly-dead cell phone. We towed it to another shop which was nearby, and recommended by the tow-truck driver. But I felt very nervous about scribbling what service I wanted on a piece of paper, wrapping it around my keys, and dropping it in their mail-slot, but at that point I had little choice.

I tried to see the "bright side" to all of this, and settled on the fact that it broke at low speed, and I was able to move it to a shop. If it had happened on the freeway at 70mph- the car would have been uncontrollable and probably we would have had a MAJOR WRECK- where we could have been seriously hurt, and/or hurt someone else.

SO- CHECK YOUR SUSPENSIONS! And please keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer, burn a candle that this shop will do good work at a reasonable price.

-By the way- has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I the lucky guy?- John

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
Not to cast blame but was'nt there any signs of wear as you drove before it went bang? I would imagine such
an incident would be preceded by rough sound from near the wheel. I have replaced all my front end rods and joints... [:)]

Mike.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
I know on my car I could hear my ball joint squeak turning the steering wheel. Maybe yours was doing it for a long time and did'nt hear it over the diesel engine. Just a thought. I know it sounds dumb, but I inject about 10cc's of 90 wt. gear oil into my ball joints when I change my summer wheels to winter wheels and visa-versa.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We didn't notice any front end noise before it happened, but we've only had the car for 2 months. The steering was kinda sloppy, but I assumed the steering shock was causing that problem (steering shock is shot too)....John

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those interested, the ball joints were replaced here in Chicago for $78 in MB parts and $180 labor.

Cheers- John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just happened to me today!! Very nasty gouging, at least it was only the inside of the rim. Luckily I was just pulling into a gas station so I was barely rolling, scary to think what would've happened if I was on the highway doing 60-70mph.

Believe it or not, freakin' Autozone had the balljoint in stock for $56-57, did the ole free loaner for the ball joint press and had job done in about 30 minutes. Hopefully this fine high quality part like all the others from az will last more than a few months, or miles! (Actually seemed identical to the original as far as weight and "look" of the steel)

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
satyr, I am in the burbs of Chicago (Vernon Hills)
what shop do you use?
where are they? what do you think of them?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
the breaking of the ball joint almost always happens when going slow, turning and or driving over a bump. rarely it happens when going on highway.

matteus

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
I think they are easily overlooked when the car is in servicing. if the car has some mileage, they 'loosen' more and more.
On our 300DT it was a close call, but they replaced it in the garage just in time i guess.

matteus

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8
248 Posts
SeanGizzle - 7/9/2005 11:38 PM

ive heard that happens quite often to these cars...true?
I think it happens more as a function of how long people keep these cars. If other car owners are turning them over when they reach 100K, they might never experience this.

When I heard the tell-tale squealing noise, I had mine replaced. First it was the left side, then the right side. These repairs were performed when the car had well over 100K miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts