Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very scary ($ wise) situation with my ABS system.

I was driving around town on a Saturday, 70 degrees and sunny and stopped at a drive through ATM. While I was conducting my transaction with the car in park, the big red ABS FAILURE message popped up and the car start beeping at me not to drive, braking diminished, etc. I was only a mile from home so I carefully drove the car home. You could tell the brakes were only operating at 50% of their capability - very spongy.

I got home and parked it and started thinking about not getting the extended warranty (07 SL550 - went out of warranty in August) and how much this was going to cost me. I decided to sleep on it. Next day I logged on here and saw that in extreme hot or cold situations (which I was not in), the ABS computer can screw up and have this problem. The suggestion was to park it, let it warm up or cool down overnight and see what happens. So I went out to the garage started it up and it was completely normal.

My fear is this was a precursor to a coming problem and I should run, not walk to my dealer and buy the extended warranty.

Anyone have this issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks as always guys for the feedback!

·
Registered
1967 250SL; 2003 SL500R; 2002 ML320
64 Posts
Look at it this way - your car is giving you a final notice to get the warranty. Consider yourself lucky !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts