1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there,
(1994 S500 Sedan)
Just got the ASR light on. After researching, I need to scan my computer to know whats causing the problem.

I am hoping I could find something other than that simple light clicking tool with the wires

I live in San Bruno, California. Shops here in California with the STAR diagnostic system charge $100+ for a scan....

Any ideas? was hoping I can test for misfires as well.

thanks,

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,017 Posts
You don't say what year your car is. 96 and up US cars had OBDII, but it is basically only for engine parameters on those cars. All other parameters on those cars, and all parameters on earlier W140s have to be read thru the 38 pin connector.

PM Paul600600 over on the R129 forum, and he can help you get your own STAR system. With it you can review and reset codes, look at live data, reset adaptations, etc on every system on the car. If you are going to own a W140 and do any work yourself, it is an invaluable asset. Several of us here have our own systems. Mine has saved me thousands. For the cost of 4 scans, you can own your own.

The system I have is temporarily out of stock in China, so I can't specifically recommend anything at this moment.

Jon

·
Registered
1994 S500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't say what year your car is. 96 and up US cars had OBDII, but it is basically only for engine parameters on those cars. All other parameters on those cars, and all parameters on earlier W140s have to be read thru the 38 pin connector.

PM Paul600600 over on the R129 forum, and he can help you get your own STAR system. With it you can review and reset codes, look at live data, reset adaptations, etc on every system on the car. If you are going to own a W140 and do any work yourself, it is an invaluable asset. Several of us here have our own systems. Mine has saved me thousands. For the cost of 4 scans, you can own your own.

The system I have is temporarily out of stock in China, so I can't specifically recommend anything at this moment.

Jon
My bad. its a 1994 S500 Sedan.

I thought STAR system are in the thousands to buy? I will PM paul and check thanks

·
Registered
1994 S500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jon
found this on DHGate. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Any Chinese C5 is a C4 in a C5 case. There's a lot of junk out there. Since the system I use is out of stock, I can't recommend anything specific. Paul is US based, and if he sells you something, it will likely work.

Jon

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Not much choice if you want a STAR system. Paul's are from China, just screened.
The problem is that many parts are obsolete, so they use used parts, or in some cases, counterfeits. Fortunately, the W140 is not real demanding of the system, unlike later Mercedes that require more esoteric portions of the STAR system. Actually, a C3 is just fine for our cars.

Jon

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
734 Posts
Anziani:

You should watch this:

MB is doing a fair amount of stuff in China. That's right, OEM made in China.

·
Registered
'98 S500, '99 S420 etc.
101 Posts
Bought this a couple of months ago, new from an eBay vendor in California. I believe the scanner cost about $150 and the adaptor for the older 38 pin plug was another 50 bucks. I have used it to read a 1995 Mercedes through the 38 pin adapter, and have read a 1998 Mercedes the same way as it seems that this scanner reads more functions through the 38 pin outlet on the car if the car is so equipped, such as a W140. I believe it will also work on much later Mercedes that don't have the round, 38 pin outlets on them.
As far as I know, these are readily available online, unless that little old disease that's more harmless than flu has dried up our supply chain...

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
do yourself a big favor, buy a Snap-On MT2500 "red brick" with the Mercedes cartridge, 38 pin cable, and OBDII cable.
you'll be able to do at least ignition, fuel injection, base module, diagnostic module, airbags, transmission
and possibly more....

·
Registered
1994 S500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do yourself a big favor, buy a Snap-On MT2500 "red brick" with the Mercedes cartridge, 38 pin cable, and OBDII cable.
you'll be able to do at least ignition, fuel injection, base module, diagnostic module, airbags, transmission
and possibly more....
Thank you for this. Would you say this is better than what was suggested in the previous post (icarsoft)? and does this read live data?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
As far as I know, the Snap On does not read ALL modules in the W140. Don't know about iCarsoft, but I doubt it. If you want to do PSE, soft close, HVAC, windows, locking system, ADS, etc, you need STAR.

Snap-On can do live data for the engine, which is very useful. STAR does live data for all car systems.

Jon

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
211 Posts
Don't know about iCarsoft, but I doubt it.
Thanks God BW exists! I was going to go the carsoft way for my 600 but then I found this:

EDIT: The thread is somewhat long but worth going through the end

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
AFAIK, Carsoft and iCarsoft are completely different products. I know Carsoft is junk, from numerous sources. Don't know about iCarsoft

Jon

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
211 Posts
AFAIK, Carsoft and iCarsoft are completely different products. I know Carsoft is junk, from numerous sources. Don't know about iCarsoft
:)) Thank you
Not sure if you noticed that the title of the thread cited earlier concerns Carsoft V12, but among the 70+ comments the Carsoft vs iCarsoft has been answered.
Either one is an inadequate tool for working on the EARLY w140s. Too many of the systems cannot be read/reset.

The OP has a MY'94 car.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
BENZDREAM:

YES the 2500 has live data and quite good too. it also will reset the LH injection and diagnostic modules, clear all the codes, and do many valuable actuator tests. so you can take modules from another year car that are compatible, erase them, and put them in your car fresh. then the ECM's will relearn fresh for your car only, without any previous maps from the donor car. the 2500 will turn many things on/off while running at your command, with the push of a button, so you can test and see if they are working, such as cam adjustment magnets, EGR valves, AIR injection pump, individual fuel injectors, individual spark plugs, canister purge, and many more. it will read distributor ignition primary burn time, VERY valuable to read ignition coil condition- it's how I found bad coils, and distributor caps. it will also read ambient barometric pressure, and pressure/vacuum inside the engine's intake manifold, that's how I noticed mine had more vacuum in one side, than the other. also throttle angle, spark timing for EVERY cylinder, fuel injector time open, MAF voltage/airflow, o2 sensor voltage, all the low rpm-midrange-high rpm fuel trims, duty cycle percentage with key on and at idle, CTP switch on/off, WOT switch on/off, cold start enrichment on/off, EGR/AIR on/off, all the CAN connections OK/bad, air intake temperature, coolant temperature for each side of engine, much more. it's a great deal for the price if you snag one on Ebay for $300 or less.
the Snap On is not as extensive as the Star, in that the Snap On does not do every little module on the entire car, just the most relevant engine modules. I refer to the "red brick" 2500 model because it's the old one, that was available when W140 cars were new. personally I don't like using laptops for diagnosing cars. too cumbersome !! but they do have their advantages if you want that interface, they do EVERYTHING, every little nitpicking module.
the Snap On will pull up all the relevant engine information quickly from the drivers seat or standing outside the car, via the 38 pin connector, and you can run the cord inside the car through passenger window, and drive it while reading live data. you will need key 20 for the LH injection modules left/right, and the diagnostic module. you will need key 21 for the distributor ignition modules left/right. the keys plug into the cord in a slot. if you have a car with computer controlled transmission electronics, it will also do that module, with the appropriate key. if you get the latest cartridge available for the 2500, from 2003, should also do the airbag module, and I believe one other module...perhaps ? more.

as JAL stated, the 2500 will not do ALL the modules. there are other small modules for various features, accessories, comfort add-ons, etc. that I personally don't consider critical so I went with the 2500. it's a gearhead's scan tool, focused on the engine and the fuel injection/ignition management systems, and all the sensors. I don't like the idea that the Star must interface with the net online to get software updates, etc. and that it's made in China. Snap On is made in USA.
Chinese stuff has a tendency to crap out over time.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You don't have to do updates with STAR or be connected to the internet. The W140 part isn't been updated in several years.

With STAR, the program is all in one, no need for keys. And you can scan the whole car at once, then zoom in on problem areas. You can print out reports.

The STAR systems generally come with EPC and WIS (parts and service manuals), as well as Starfinder for wiring diagrams.

Jon

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
I was under the impression one had to go online and download the software, and buy a membership ? etc ?
that's good.
on the flipside, the advantage of a Snap-On 2500, it will do ANY car made, domestic or foreign, if you have the cartridge and keys for that car. in that aspect it is very valuable and flexible. You can do your Mercedes, and your Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Trans-Am, Challenger, etc. or Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Honda, you name it. I believe they will do up to 2006 ? or so. I know there's a late model 2003 MB cartridge for it.
and there's a lot less gear involved, just the red brick and the cord.
I wouldn't mind having one of those hand held scanners used by the Mercedes dealerships for my, though...it does everything and is smaller, compact. but they go for more than the price of my car !! :p:)
being an old school trained mechanic, a laptop, a/d interpreter, etc. is just too much schitt to be hooking up all the time, to diagnose a car, IMHO....yes I know, all the dealerships do that now, out of necessity. that's how it is today...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts