Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
422 Posts
A 2019 version may not the best choice for you. You need HHTWIN for your vehicle.
The 2019 is not designed for HHTWIN. 2016 would be a way better choice.
The picture shows a c5 you can also use a c4 it's the same electronics in a better box and usally cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
889 Posts
A 2019 version may not the best choice for you. You need HHTWIN for your vehicle.
The 2019 is not designed for HHTWIN. 2016 would be a way better choice.
The picture shows a c5 you can also use a c4 it's the same electronics in a better box and usally cheaper.

Thanks for that info, would this be a better choice?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Mercedes-Benz-XENTRY-DAS-MB-STAR-C5-SD-CONNECT-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-i5-8GB/293020888609?hash=item443967ee21:g:g30AAOSwtOZcmCfc

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
422 Posts
I don't see any indication that hhtwin is included and it seams to be quite pricy.
I don't think that 03.2019 would run on 32 bit windows.
HHTWIN needs a 32 bit system.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
889 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
Martin (a.k.a. MAVA) and other members have been recommending this one for years: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1783909054.html. Usually I can quickly find an alternative costing $100 less, but not today.

You'll need to source a Dell D630 from eBay or elsewhere, and to set it up you'll have to create software keys. Those are both trivial tasks and worth taking on to save hundreds of dollars and to have a proven product.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
918 Posts
Martin (a.k.a. MAVA) and other members have been recommending this one for years: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1783909054.html. Usually I can quickly find an alternative costing $100 less, but not today.

You'll need to source a Dell D630 from eBay or elsewhere, and to set it up you'll have to create software keys. Those are both trivial tasks and worth taking on to save hundreds of dollars and to have a proven product.
The C4 kit in the link that you provided is popular, but for the benefit of those not familiar with what’s available, it has the irritating Chinese copy protection.

I believe Paul600600 might have a better source that doesn’t have that limitation.

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
512 Posts
The C4 kit in the link that you provided is popular, but for the benefit of those not familiar with what’s available, it has the irritating Chinese copy protection.

I believe Paul600600 might have a better source that doesn’t have that limitation.
I bought the kit from that vendor and there is no Chinese Lock/ Copy protection. I cloned SDS hard drive and used the clone without any problems.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
918 Posts
I bought the kit from that vendor and there is no Chinese Lock/ Copy protection. I cloned SDS hard drive and used the clone without any problems.
Not doubting the veracity of your claim, but I quote the ad: -“Every hard disk has it's special number,have self-test function.Just give us the self-test report and the number,we will find out what's the matter...”

Reason for unique number is usually to prevent cloning. Maybe your success is related to the Macrium Reflectree 7 cloning software that you used? I don’t know, but I guess many would be interested to replicate what you have done.

If Z-Protect is put onto the HDD, I would definitely not risk it...
When others have tried to clone a SDS HDD they get the copy protection dialogue box that James refers to above when trying to run Xentry or EPC.

Paul, does this seller use the Chinese copy protection that you know of? Or could Photodude’s cloning success be related to the choice of cloning software in this instance?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not doubting the veracity of your claim, but I quote the ad: -“Every hard disk has it's special number,have self-test function.Just give us the self-test report and the number,we will find out what's the matter...”

Reason for unique number is usually to prevent cloning. Maybe your success is related to the Macrium Reflectree 7 cloning software that you used? I don’t know, but I guess many would be interested to replicate what you have done.
That's their way of saying We will try to fix your set-up issues via Team Viewer, I think.

They were extremely helpful when I had issues with VM (COM port) setup. I was eventually able to figure out Virtual COM port settings on my own but, they gave me directions how to go about it.

When I realized I needed to get Dell HDD (to ditch VM) and run this SDS properly I specifically asked Pauline if I can clone it. She told me No Problem… if you have the tools to do it.

When others have tried to clone a SDS HDD they get the copy protection dialogue box that James refers to above when trying to run Xentry or EPC.
Maybe this is just a matter of properly generating product Key for relevant applications… there is Utility included in the SDS setup to do that.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
422 Posts
I don't think there is any way of telling if a seller installed copy protection or not. I installed it myself and this is not a easy task but if you are interested I would recommend a mhhauto.com membership.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't know how this "Chinese Copy Protection" is supposed to work but I would think (if it's really there) it would stop cloning before it begins. Rather than let you clone and then mess with destination HD and source HD as additional punishment. But then… I'm not an expert on Chinese torture methods.

I suspect, if cloning was successful, and there are issues with starting software the problem is with Software Key, which can be easily checked BTW.

Xentry Key is time sensitive… it could be expired.

It would also be affected by System Clock, which Would be affected by BIOS Date and Time setting… which would be Wrong if CMOS battery is dead… and you unplug AC adapter and remove battery to swap Hard Drives.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
918 Posts
I don't know how this "Chinese Copy Protection" is supposed to work but I would think (if it's really there) it would stop cloning before it begins. Rather than let you clone and then mess with destination HD and source HD as additional punishment. But then… I'm not an expert on Chinese torture methods.

I suspect, if cloning was successful, and there are issues with starting software the problem is with Software Key, which can be easily checked BTW.

Xentry Key is time sensitive… it could be expired.

It would also be affected by System Clock, which Would be affected by BIOS Date and Time setting… which would be Wrong if CMOS battery is dead… and you unplug AC adapter and remove battery to swap Hard Drives.
Yeah, if only it was the simple matter of the software key, system clock, or CMOS battery... but trust me... it isn’t. :)

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
I recognize there are benefits to cloning the original hard drive, but I personally don't think it is worthwhile. If a Chinese product can not be cloned, this would not influence my purchase decision at all.

I don't use Star Diagnosis often and expect the original hard drive to last decades. If the drive nevertheless does fail, for c. $50 I can get another from the Chinese. Or I can create a new drive for Star Diagnosis from a backup image file downloaded for free from mhhauto.com.

My Star Diagnosis isn't sluggish, but I had considered using an SSD to greatly improve speed, since these can achieve data transfer rates of 500+ MB/s. But I discovered the Dell has an antiquated hard drive interface which limits data transfer speeds to just 150 MB/s. So this potential upgrade seemed analogous to buying a Ferrari F40 for driving around Manhattan Island.

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Sorry it was the iCarsoft 7.4 that was rec. not the i980
10 Best Diagnostic Scanners Mercedes-Benz
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/best-obd-2-can-scanners-for-car-diagnostics/

/ignore You want a "iCarsoft Genuine Mercedes Benz I980 Professional" which from my understanding is the recommend model..

Models Supported:
- W124/W202/W140/R129/W210/W208/R170/W209
- W203/W211/W163/W168/W220/W215/R230/G461/G463
- Vito/V-Class/Sprinter

- NO EXCEPTIONS !

- All Engine-Types from 1991 until April 2003
- Including : ME Live Data, ME ECU - Coding &
- ME Adaptation

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Genuine-Mercedes-Professional-Diagnostic/dp/B00IUIDFSS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=iCARSOFT+i980&qid=1561502574&s=gateway&sr=8-3&x=0&y=0

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,212 Posts
You want a "iCarsoft Genuine Mercedes Benz I980 Professional" which from my understanding is the recommend model..
Recommended by whom?

The description states the I980 will work with an R107 chassis -- a vehicle which was last produced in 1989. Yet to connect to a vehicle the I980 only has an OBD-II connector, and no vehicle had this prior to MY1994.

On an R129 this will perform OBD-II diagnostics and do nothing with Mercedes proprietary systems.

On a budget of $350 or less there is simply no substitute for a Chinese-cloned Star Diagnosis kit. If someone disagrees and would like an iCarsoft I980, please consider buying my lightly-used example and PM an offer to me.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
918 Posts
Before I make an offer, how many stars out of five would you give it? :grin

Edit: According to the ad, quote “this scanner CANNOT support the mercedes chassis #'s 107,124,126,129,140, 201, 202, 208, 210, 461, and 463”

I guess I won’t be making an offer then. :)

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Opps.. Sorry I meant the 7.4 my bad..

Carsoft 7.4 MCU K-Line Controlled Multiplexer Interface For Mercedes-Benz
If you have a Mercedes W208 CLK 1998-2002 and W210 E-Class 1996-2002, you should really consider this scanner. It comes with the 38-pin connector. iCarsoft and most scanners on this list can not diagnose transmission, ABS, airbag, A/C and other systems because they don’t come with 38-pin connector."
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/best-obd-2-can-scanners-for-car-diagnostics/

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,212 Posts
Edit: According to the ad, quote “this scanner CANNOT support the mercedes chassis #'s 107,124,126,129,140, 201, 202, 208, 210, 461, and 463”
Well, Rob, I certainly misread that.

The iCarsoft I980 is excellent value for the money. Consider that it does OBD-II for all manufacturers and includes live data and graphic display of O2 sensor voltage signals. For Mercedes-specific diagnostics it reads/erases fault codes and displays sensor data. It won't allow you to control various components on the car ("actuations"), however, nor does it have any built-in diagnostic routines for air conditioning, suspension, etc.

I meant the 7.4 my bad..
As I mentioned a few days ago on another thread, I bought one of those a dozen odd years ago for c. $75. It was quite good for the money, but curiously it can not diagnose the one system that is perhaps the most prone to trouble: the convertible top/roll bar.

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Well, Rob, I certainly misread that.

The iCarsoft I980 is excellent value for the money. Consider that it does OBD-II for all manufacturers and includes live data and graphic display of O2 sensor voltage signals. For Mercedes-specific diagnostics it reads/erases fault codes and displays sensor data. It won't allow you to control various components on the car ("actuations"), however, nor does it have any built-in diagnostic routines for air conditioning, suspension, etc.

As I mentioned a few days ago on another thread, I bought one of those a dozen odd years ago for c. $75. It was quite good for the money, but curiously it can not diagnose the one system that is perhaps the most prone to trouble: the convertible top/roll bar.
Has the CS-1000 been mentioned?

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/Downloads/cs1000_mb.pdf

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts