Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: But what's the real problem?

MLOffRoad - 5/12/2005 6:34 PM
Well my friend will still get a G either way and so will I later on down the road, it's just that he did infact really want this particular mint 79. We are afraid at this point though that the truck may not even exist if he cant come up with a copy of the title EVEN after he said it was sitting in his safety deposit box at the bank next door to him.
If you did in fact find that the truck did not exist, then it's offer for sale would certainly be actionable and your pursuit of same would be a great service to this community and the E_bay one as well. Just guessing, but I don't think this guy works QUITE that way. There is probably a vehicle at the other end of this string, and it probably looks like the pictures he posted. But don't assume anything. (Can't even assume the pictured truck is a 79 by some visual cues - need the VIN to know). There's a lot of ground between a truck that looks like a picture, and one you can actually register, drive, enjoy, etc.

The very first step in buying any G here in the US is to get the vin and call the DOT to find out whether the truck is here legally or not. That's not to say that nobody should ever buy a G that's not on the DOT books, just that if it IS on the books, you're starting in a better place than if it's not, with regard to knowing you can register it and own it legally, etc.

But anyway, there's lots more to talk about. The best way is just to ask questions here, and search the forum for keywords like "e-bay", "for sale", etc and read all the posts you find. The gammut of warnings, suspicions, good and bad experiences has been covered pretty well.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
G320,G-Cabrio,Brabus G300GE
781 Posts
If the gentleman has already sent the 2,000 dollars and has requested that his money be refunded, because he wanted to put it in escrow, which is very reasonable until he has the title in his hands to verify it.

The best option would be to contact the Department of Justice, because you are ot living in the same state of the FBI for Wire Fruad, which is a Federal Crime.

Van
Touro Law School, year grad. 2001
http://www.tourolaw.edu/

21 - 22 of 22 Posts