Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well dang....ran out of fuel showing 1/4 tank! is there a fix? or should i treat it like a dash ornament and get a dip stick? the good news is with a bit of pumping and a can of fuel from a passing friend, it cranked right up

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
remove tank fuel pickup/sender unit, bend flote mount wire up wile keeping the sender unit wire end still.

if you remove it you can soon splice some tmp elec wires in so you can hold the unit how it would be in the tank and see the fuel guage at the same time.

on my mog the guage now reads under, i.e. when the guage reads 1/4 the fuel level is ~1/3 full. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,190 Posts
Howdy All,
Does anyone know the ohm swing from full to empty for the SBU gauge? Say something like 15-37ohms? I may need to go to another tank and I'd like to use the stock gauge with an aftermarket sending unit. Thanks,
Chas

·
Registered
Unimog 1300L
27 Posts
The sender unit on my 1300L rotates through 90 degrees and lifts out.
Makes my lockable fuel cap useless!

·
Registered
1985 1300L UNIMOG
139 Posts
I've picked up two new "take offs" from a after market company that provides bigger tanks for semi's in northern Illinois.. ISSPRO who makes guages also manufactures their own sending units. They use a contained cylinder type of sending unit rather than an arm and float. They manufacturer a complete line of 24v guages,etc. So I replaced the original new tank sending units with ISSPRO to match the guages I also got from them.

·
Premium Member
Unimogs 435's
758 Posts
Howdy All,
Does anyone know the ohm swing from full to empty for the SBU gauge? Say something like 15-37ohms? I may need to go to another tank and I'd like to use the stock gauge with an aftermarket sending unit. Thanks,
Chas
Measured today on a U1300L with a 24V setup (not sure if this makes a difference) Empty 30 Ohms, Full 80 Ohms. Measured with a fluke multimeter.
I know this has probably sorted along time ago i thought i would add it to the collective hive.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've dealt with this several times over the years. You bend it one way and you are on E way too soon or the other way and you are at 1/1 for half a tank. At this point I use the gauge as a general indicator and if it starts to swing more it means the fuel is moving more and I have less of it and it's time to take off the cap an look inside.

Alone with cab heaters, fuel gauges seemed to be beyond German engineering up until recently.

·
Registered
'91 427.110 '02 405.230
3,392 Posts
I still have working 24V sender for 96L tank if interested.

When I built new fuel tank I've ordered VDO sender somewhere from States.
If needed I can track it down.

The resistance is 75 Ohm to 0 if I'm correct.
I can still confirm if needed.

·
Registered
'91 427.110 '02 405.230
3,392 Posts
Yarr is that the resistance of the VDO gauge you replaced your original MB unit with? I'm in the same boat and purchased two units with similar Ohms resistance.
I'm pretty sure, that what it was.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mine goes from full to half way, gotta get it fixed. I know when its at half its really empty but not much of a range to gauge distance

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
Getting prepared for fuel tank clean out tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm that the fuel level sending unit, pickup/return tube, etc simply twist, unlock and remove? (1988 U1300L).

I'm trying to tool up for fuel tank cleaning in a location where I have to bring my own tools. Any advice appreciated, I need to be prepared. Might have to pull the tank.

Thanks in advance.

The sender unit on my 1300L rotates through 90 degrees and lifts out.
Makes my lockable fuel cap useless!

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,190 Posts
I recently had my tank apart for an "adjustment" after Mogfest. The sending unit also rotated and then slide up and out. The tank does need to be clocked to clear the cab.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. It was just as easy as everybody said. Quick twist and remove. Toughest part was reconnecting the sending unit wires.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,296 Posts
Can anybody tell me whether (which one) one of the lines going to the sender cap is in fact a vent tube ? My tank is pushing out fuel at the cap/tank junction and I know the tank pressurizes as it "pops" when the day gets really hot.

I expected to find something in the WSM, but section 07/49 that should have it has nothing on the fuel system - contrary to the index page which states "fuel supply system and air filter" The pages in this section is only on 09 (air filter and turbo) - nothing on 47, which I suspect may well be the info I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
On my truck, one of the lines was indeed a vent line. It was located in between the fuel feed and return lines. It was a small (1/4") white barb fitting going to some hose that went somewhere (helpful, huh). Again, in between the feed/return and just below. It pointed to the driver's side of the truck.

Can anybody tell me whether (which one) one of the lines going to the sender cap is in fact a vent tube ? My tank is pushing out fuel at the cap/tank junction and I know the tank pressurizes as it "pops" when the day gets really hot.

I expected to find something in the WSM, but section 07/49 that should have it has nothing on the fuel system - contrary to the index page which states "fuel supply system and air filter" The pages in this section is only on 09 (air filter and turbo) - nothing on 47, which I suspect may well be the info I need.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts