Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting a hydraulic winch on the fron of my U1200 and am wonder if if any one has experimented with multi point mounting. I have looked at Werner winch mounts and found they mount on 3 points for flex. I am thinking of doing the same, has any one with a ridgid front winch mount noticed any stress from twisitng? I know the frame is built to flex but how much dose it frex in front of the front cross mamber.

Also any one with a Warn hydro winch, I am wondering what kind of line speed I am going to get with the factory hydro system.

thanks

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
I just mounted the 15K hydro warn on the front of mine and just got another today to mount in back. All I've done is spool the masterpull line on with the truck at 1100 rpm. At that rpm it wasn't fast but it's tolerable, much faster than some other hydraulics I've seen. I can try and measure the line speed but warn's specs can be found on their website. Here are some closer shots of my front winch plate, soon to be bull bar. I'm going to try and get the rear winch mounted up tomorrow. One piece of advice, if you mount using the top threaded factory holes like I did, start looking for 16X1.5 bolts now. I had to order them in from another city as I couldn't find any locally. (Pretty much like everything else on this damned thing.)

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black,

Do you have any concerns about stress on the mounts of the front winch, due to frame flex. All the Werner winches I have seen are mounted on 3 loose pins to allow flex.

Thanks

P.S. I have a set of long bolts, there were some 3 point brackets on the frame when I got the truck.

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
I think I had those too, they weren't nearly long enough. They had to be 130mm I think in order for me to get the plate up above the engine mount. Once i finally go off road with this thing maybe I'll be able to report on the frame flex. I didn't imagine it would flex much since there's a round welded crossmember just behind the frame rails.

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
i have a similar winch mount in the works. i dont think there is gonna be much flex forward of that round cross member. i like the rope on the winch. for as often as i plan to be stuck i think ill be considering rope. ..might not be the best pick for a guy who goes wheeling every weekend....but for a camper rig it might be the ticket.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
krisinak said:
... i like the rope on the winch. for as often as i plan to be stuck i think ill be considering rope. ..might not be the best pick for a guy who goes wheeling every weekend....but for a camper rig it might be the ticket.
Matters how much money you have. For me..... on a camper benefits of rope is not enough to warrent Rope's additional cost. How much does winch rope cost these days?

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
85' of rope costs about $275 I think it was. That's ready to spool onto the winch with hook and all. On the 15K hydro, it doesn't come with any cable at all so you have to buy something. I'm not sure what an equal length of steel would run after you get it swaged and everything.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have got a quote of $190 cdn for 100' of 7/16 cable with a hook.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent my weekend building my mount, I liked the design of the one on "Dan's unimog" page so I copied it. Here of some pics of it just mocked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
That looks good, I can see now why you didn't need the long bolts up top. How thick is the plate the winch bolts to? Those d-shackle mounts are a good idea, I might incorporate that into my front bull bar I'm working on now.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The winch plate is only 1/4 " but it is well gusseted on the bottom. Will post some pics of the finished this weekend when I get it painted and mounted up. I also have a bumper insert that fills in the space in the middle.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is some shots of the mount and bumper before paint. I am waiting for the fairlead to come in before I cut the slot for the cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Very slick, I'm jealous

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
Here are some pics of my progress as of today. Got the front bumper welded up but got a lot of grinding to do. I need to figure out what to do about headlights! Rear winch is on and I'm getting the bed almost there.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking good, where did you get the tool boxes from? I am looking for a box for under the bed on the drivers side. How much $$?

Do you have some kind of pivot in the bush bar to allow the cab to be tilted? You are right a good spot for the light will be hard to find with the hydro connections in the way, also watch out for local laws on head light height.

keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2004 U500
281 Posts
sdo said:
Looking good, where did you get the tool boxes from? I am looking for a box for under the bed on the drivers side. How much $$?

Do you have some kind of pivot in the bush bar to allow the cab to be tilted? You are right a good spot for the light will be hard to find with the hydro connections in the way, also watch out for local laws on head light height.

keep up the good work.
I'd love to keep it up but it's been about 3 weeks of pretty solid work on it!

The bar/bumper is independent of the winch mount so it comes off fairly easy. I can lift it myself. The upright bars are 3/8" and the bumper part is all 1/4" thick. I'm thinking I will get some PIAA 80 series high/low lights to mount between the hydraulics and upright bars. I may do a marker light down the road.

I bought the tool boxes from a local truck accessory place. They're all weatherguard brand, 6' long up top and the battery box is the smallest one they have for underbed mounting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts