Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I just finished my version of a cab flipper, and it actually works really well. It's constructed out of 3/16" 2x2 square tube, the shuttle is a piece of 2" receiver tube that functions to guide the hook to cab connection up the main tube. The top wheel is a heavy duty 5" x 2" caster that I machined the hub down to fit between top axle plates. The winch is a 1400 lb. nylon strap unit that I got from McMaster Carr, in hindsight I'd probably use a cable model with a regular idler pulley and eliminate the strap guides. The lower mount bolts to the tranny in place of the thing that was there before (????). All flat stock is 3/8's or better and the bottom plate is 1/2" . It pins in place easily and the cab is up in a matter of seconds ! The only item I had to purchase was the winch, about $40, quite a bit easier on the wallet than the MB unit ! :eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I have to feel for all of us who needed one and would be more than happy to go into more detail or make some up. Just send me an e-mail.

Thanks,
GB
:beerchugr:

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
So if someone pushes up say around the fenders w/out thinking... wont this allow the whole thing to flip further forward. Looks like it would pivot on the bottom pivot point till the bar or cab itself is restricted by something.

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Coach,

Actually thought about that, the shuttle can't go past the upper axle mounts even with a stiff wind blowing against the cab. It also serves to keep the arm away from the cab and keep all lifting moment parallel to the arm.

GB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts