Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,
Do any of you folks/vendors have pictures or ideas concerning installation/fabrication of a brush guard or cabin protection? Maybe even shots or designs of internal/external roll cage protection?
No really.....I'm serious.
Chas

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Me too. I liked Jason Crouch's efforts, and, as I said in that thread, I was looking to do something similar to mine at some point i nthe future.

·
Premium Member
U1250L DOKA
709 Posts
I forget, did Couch's have a loop out to protect the mirrors? Damn near lost my passenger window when a rogue branch smacked the mirror into it.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,082 Posts

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
Unimogs
860 Posts
This one was designed as a roof rack versus any type of rollover protection. In hind site I would have brought the front supports down at more of a 45* angle to provide better protection from branches. Built out of 2" Aluminum tubing, bent on a Pro-tools Hyrdaulic Bender. Ladder on the passenger side.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
Unimogs
860 Posts
Hi Guys,

There is a cheap piece of software on the market that is VERY easy to use for creating and bending your cab protection. Bend Tech Pro is ubber easy to learn and with a little bit of time can be a huge tool in designing and then actually building your cage.

Attached is an example........"Passenger Pod" from one of our tour trucks designed in Bend Tech. Took about 3 hours to learn the software and design this.

Sent the tube out for mandrel bending. We had very good results with a company in Sacramento, CA called Upstream Engineering. They took our technical drawing, which the software outputs, and had our mandrel bent parts in a couple of days. They also handled the Mandrel bent 2" square around the door openings.

If I am not mistaken you can get a trial version of the software to see if it would be helpful.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Just looking at a few on another thread titled French unimog forum on pg.10,11 as well as pretty obscure collection of pics sorry not link savvy.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Those exact, in that order as well as the Linemans truck. In all that is great bunch of pics some odd like the fifty plus foot motorhome.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Some Resiliency...

and I have to say: it isn't a death bed, it is a pretty damn
bashed-up bed, but the difference is everything.

·
Registered
U1300L Ex BW Krankenwagen, FD w/LS7 @ 600whp, B6 S4, ISF
50 Posts
What are the odds you have pics of a tilted cab with an integral "roll-over protection" roll cage?

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,608 Posts
Something- brush bars/ rack rather than a roll bar.

Back into my hole.
John, Is it time for another sponge bath???

Glad you are ok, hope the nurses are good looking and treating you right!!

·
Registered
U1300L Ex BW Krankenwagen, FD w/LS7 @ 600whp, B6 S4, ISF
50 Posts
Something- brush bars/ rack rather than a roll bar.

Back into my hole.
Thank you Sir! I'm trying to figure out how to do this and have it provide roll over protection. Thinking of "feet" coming off the frame that meet the "roof rack", in a trapped clevis type configuration.

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great pictures and links to the cage/guards on the outside. Any photos of the plates in the fenders/roof?
Thanks all,
Chas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts