Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ML550 /// 2003 E320 /// 2013 CLS 550 (renntech)
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to replace the front brake pads on my wifes 2003 E320 sedan.... didn't think much of it. So I took off the front tire, unpluged the sensor, then took off the pad...only to relize parts.com shipped me the wrong part... damnitt... so I put the old pad back on, plugged the sensor back in and got in the car to pump up the brakes.....

Holy crap, brake malfunction, stop car, blah blah blah.... Yes apparently I set the SBC malfunction off. I guess I should have read and relized that this car had one (my mistake for have never doing the brakes on a newer mercedes, my SLK doesn't have this)

Ok so apparently after some reading, since I unplugged the sensor...it locked that piston on that brake out. so basicly 3 brakes work (since I didn't touch them) and the car is in "limp mode"... so for future purposes I know I need to unplug the batteries or disconnect the SBC system, unless you know of a easier way to turn off the SBC....

now my problem....does anyone know of a way to RESET the SBC malfunction short of driving my car in Limp mode to the dealer to have them use the Star diagnostic tool to reset it for way to much money.... Would the old trick of unplugging the batteries for 20min work? or any trick anyone knows of how to reset this malfunction from home without the star tool?

so in short....
1) going forward, what is the most easy way to turn off the SBC system, short of unplugging it and risking air pockets in the lines...?? so I can finish the brakes when I get the correct pads in...

2)Once the SBC system is tripped, is their anyway to reset it from home without a Star diagnostic tool?

once again the car is a 2003 E320.... thanks for any help!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
Are you talking about the brake pad wear sensor? SBC would not lock up that wheel if the sensor wire has been removed/unplugged. Did you try to operate brakes a few times? Switch ignition off and on again?

·
Registered
2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
411 Posts
***WARNING*** READ ABOUT SBC BEFORE ANY BRAKE WORK

Mavrick, ****WARNING**** You need to search and read about working on the SBC System. You must unplug the main harness to the SBC pump before attempting any brake work. Although there are other techniques, I think it's best to unplug. I can't answer any of your other questions, but I know that you can be seriously injured if you remove the brake pads and the pump activates to keep the pad against the rotor as the system is designed to. The pistons will come out with such force, and if your fingers are in there. I think you get the idea. SBC is not like a conventional brake system.............Thor

·
Registered
2008 ML550 /// 2003 E320 /// 2013 CLS 550 (renntech)
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mavrick, ****WARNING**** You need to search and read about working on the SBC System. You must unplug the main harness to the SBC pump before attempting any brake work. Although there are other techniques, I think it's best to unplug. I can't answer any of your other questions, but I know that you can be seriously injured if you remove the brake pads and the pump activates to keep the pad against the rotor as the system is designed to. The pistons will come out with such force, and if your fingers are in there. I think you get the idea. SBC is not like a conventional brake system.............Thor
Thanks for the reply...yes I did read about that. Had the first pad off no problem (to bad autopartswarehouse sent me the wrong ones)... so back to square one till I get the new ones.

Yes I read about unplugging the SBC pump, but also read that can be bad due to getting air pockets in the lines etc... in the manual it says something about turning your car off, waiting 20 seconds then using your safe-key to lock the car...then dont open anything untill your done.

Yea really all I did was unplug the pad on the passenger side, take it out...realize the other didn't fit...then put the stock back on. now the SBC light is on, brake malfunction..and the piston on that pad is locked out and the car is in "limp mode". sometimes they do this shit on purpose so you have to bring it to the dealer! LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts