Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2006 CLK 350 for about three years now and have enjoyed it very much, but I think that to buy some peace of mind and avoid a potential very expensive repair bill in the future that it's time that I got rid of it. After reading about the balance shaft gear issues for the M272 engine for '06 and '07 models, and not just for the CLK, I've come to the conclusion that Mercedes may not be the way to go now :mad:

I read about this the issue about 6 months ago, and have been hoping that this wouldn't happen to my car. My check engine light came on the other day (2 days after a service B :() and I started getting really paranoid that it might be the dreaded P0016/P0017 problem. Turned out that it was just a simple air intake leak that my indy mechanic corrected in 10 minutes and charged nothing for. After that worry for about 2 days though, I don't think I wanna keep worrying about this.

When I got this car 3 years ago I researched everything and don't remember seeing anything on this, though three years ago maybe it hadn't been noticed much yet.

Contemplating an '05 CLK 500, but really with this whole deal with Mercedes screwing people over with the M272/M273 engines I'm not sure I want another Mercedes for a long while now. I know protesting the brand by not getting another accomplishes nothing, especially with the next one being used also, I still feel a bit vindictive. Looking at Infiniti now... :eek:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
The issue with the M272 engine in your car was a relatively small number and I believe it can be traced by engine number. Why not have yours checked to see if it's in the affected group? If not you can rest easy and just enjoy it.

Certainly you'll have a few problems, but at least you'd know that big bill wouldn't be hanging out there. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had a 2006 CLK 350 for about three years now and have enjoyed it very much, but I think that to buy some peace of mind and avoid a potential very expensive repair bill in the future that it's time that I got rid of it. After reading about the balance shaft gear issues for the M272 engine for '06 and '07 models, and not just for the CLK, I've come to the conclusion that Mercedes may not be the way to go now :mad:

I read about this the issue about 6 months ago, and have been hoping that this wouldn't happen to my car. My check engine light came on the other day (2 days after a service B :() and I started getting really paranoid that it might be the dreaded P0016/P0017 problem. Turned out that it was just a simple air intake leak that my indy mechanic corrected in 10 minutes and charged nothing for. After that worry for about 2 days though, I don't think I wanna keep worrying about this.

When I got this car 3 years ago I researched everything and don't remember seeing anything on this, though three years ago maybe it hadn't been noticed much yet.

Contemplating an '05 CLK 500, but really with this whole deal with Mercedes screwing people over with the M272/M273 engines I'm not sure I want another Mercedes for a long while now. I know protesting the brand by not getting another accomplishes nothing, especially with the next one being used also, I still feel a bit vindictive. Looking at Infiniti now... :eek:

Any thoughts?
That sure is the $64,000 ? isn't it. I have been looking for a vert for a while(stock market sorta slowed things down). Looking at vettes, Lexus sc430, and BMW 3 series. Then I drove a 2006 CLK350 and fell in love. Luckily, I guess, it wasn't equipped the way I wanted. After reading about the balance shaft issue and getting lied to by local service mgr. I started looking at 2008 which was over what I wanted to pay, and now I hear is some early 2008's may still have the problem. Now looking, as you are in 2005 500 vert. I guess if I find the perfect car for me I'll still buy. Good luck in your decision.

One thought, I have read on the Merc facebook site that some are getting goodwill fixes. Maybe a purchase from a MB dealer with written word that they will take care of it free of charge at anytime in the future could be a way to go.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Yeah, sorry should of mentioned. I checked the VIN and the engine number does fall within the range.
Ugh.

The problem you're going to run into is that anyone worth their salt is going to check into it and your sales price will plummet. No one is really going to want it for the same reason you don't. So you're looking at whatever you might get in a trade. Besides, you otherwise may be required under state law to disclose that potential issue (since you know about it) to any private purchaser, even if you'd be willing to let them keep the wool over their eyes.

But yep, I hear you loud and clear. I have pretty good mechanical skills, but I sure wouldn't look forward to that one. And just because you're in the range doesn't mean you have the bad parts. Gaaahhh!

I guess the $64,000 question to me is whether you start setting aside enough money to fix it if and when it breaks, and is that amount you set aside less than a car payment (and higher insurance, assuming you're going to something newer/more expensive) would be after you trade it? If so and you like the car, then start setting it aside. If not, sayonara may be the right answer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree that not doing a recall or at least making a statement that they will stand behind any engine that has the defective part has put a bad taste in my mouth for MB.

Having said that, I traded a 2007cab with an engine in the affected group for a 2008 cab with an engine out of the range.

It cost me 10K difference. However, I got a car with 12K less miles and some options not on the first cab. I did it because I loved the car and how it drove and because I couldn't stand waiting for the 2007 to fail.

What I did may not make financial sense, but I have a car I like and I am not always looking for the check engine light to come on.

I don't think I will ever buy a new Mercedes unless they up their warranty to 100K miles on the drive train. I just don't think they stand behind their product as they should.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that not doing a recall or at least making a statement that they will stand behind any engine that has the defective part has put a bad taste in my mouth for MB.

Having said that, I traded a 2007cab with an engine in the affected group for a 2008 cab with an engine out of the range.

It cost me 10K difference. However, I got a car with 12K less miles and some options not on the first cab. I did it because I loved the car and how it drove and because I couldn't stand waiting for the 2007 to fail.

What I did may not make financial sense, but I have a car I like and I am not always looking for the check engine light to come on.

I don't think I will ever buy a new Mercedes unless they up their warranty to 100K miles on the drive train. I just don't think they stand behind their product as they should.
You put the situation under your control and got what you wanted. Sounds like a good reason to spend money to me, Congrats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts