Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would pass along my story!

I have an 04 ML350 and stealership said my front pads were getting low and the light would come on shortly. 2 weeks later...light came on. Their quote $600 front only.

After researching other options...i found Mintex pads and Zimmerman rotors for 1/2 the cost as dealer and dealer said they would only charge labor.

That was 1 1/2 months ago.....brakes have SQUEAKED HORRIBLY like something you have never heard before. This started about 1 week after install.....and has not gotten any better.

Net net, i am now replacing all pads/rotors by dealer (they are giving me a break on labor).....but i have learned to NOT cut corners to save a couple $$$!!!!

Big lesson!!!!:(

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
OEM pads and I get squeal when it's winter time.

·
Registered
00 ml55
77 Posts
I tried 2 pairs of mintex on the rear, old part # and the new part # from germanstar (beware, that $85 will get you nothing but a low grade pad with a new part #). They were both horrible squealers and I tried everything to remedy the situation. Finally I gave in and bought oem pads and haven't heard a peep from the rears since.

I have pagids up front which have been great for 9000 miles, but lately have been squealing when backing up and cold - quite embarassing pulling out of the driveway in front of neighbors!

I will be using nothing but oem pads in the future!

·
Registered
2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
980 Posts
eeeeek eeeeeeek eeeeeek, sounds like that eh? Its funny my old hondas brakes never squealed and they cost 1/3 the benz brakes. Fuzzy math dont you think. You'd expect excellence when you pay more but not with benzes. LOL. Fuzzy logic abounds everywhere.

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
Posi Queit Ceramics

I just changes my front brake pads and rotors. Mercedes OEM rotors with posi queit cermamic pads. No noise, no dust, stops on a dime! Call this place they are a race car shop, I found them and they will order your parts for a lot less then other places. Trust me!!!

Ask for Jeff Wong @ (818)-888-8904, tell him DETANE sent you. Hope this help some body

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
Did the dealer install your"non-OEM" parts?
Although Mintex may squeak a little. Dealer could have did you in by not using any brake quiet compound to enchance the squeaking.

of my 20+ years of doing brakes on my own cars, Mintex is the only brand that had squeaking problem.. Also Mintex dust a lot for a premium brand pad.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
i had my pads and rotors changed 10K mi back. all was OEM, labout was local. the pads squeaked badly from the day one, then after 2K mi all gone and now came back again. as far as i hear, the front squeak not the rear. could have blamed the mechanic who installed them, but would be easier to find a new one for the next set.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
busoptr said:
eeeeek eeeeeeek eeeeeek, sounds like that eh? Its funny my old hondas brakes never squealed and they cost 1/3 the benz brakes. Fuzzy math dont you think. You'd expect excellence when you pay more but not with benzes. LOL. Fuzzy logic abounds everywhere.
Were your Honda brakes ventilated?

·
Equal Opportunity Offender
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,305 Posts
Why would ANYONE pay the dealer to replace front rotors and pads???? Independent shops do it for a fraction of the cost and it is an easy do it yourselfer. I did BOTH front wheels rotors and brakes in less than an hour.

As for the pads: I've had no noise, whatsoever, with the Raybestos Premium pads. They're available at O'Reilly's. Very good pad, IMHO and they do not dust the wheels.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what it cost to have rotors and pads, front and rear replaced at the dealer?

I just changed my pads to EBC red stuff. These are the premium racing pads (interesting, however, is that once they arrived, there was a disclaimer in the box saying that the warranty is void if used for racing). The rears are great. The fronts squeal, but not as much, since I replaced the shim. I'm hoping that they just need to wear in. Now that I have taking the front brakes apart 3 times, I know what's there. It's not mystery or science fiction. It's quite simple actually. The hard part is breaking bolts free, and pushing the pins out. There's nothing difficult.

So, WHAT THE HELL IS SQUEALING??? I think it could be either, 1) just the materials, but again, this isn't rocket science. All cars have at least front disk brakes, yet the world doesn't squeal. There is a solution to this. Could it be the OEM rotors, whether the pads are OEM or not? Maybe. I bought the EBC rotors too, but I haven't put them on yet. I was hoping to wait until my next set of pads.

Or could be it 2) I've missed something. Grease somewhere or anti-squeal compound someplace else? I'm not sure. I would like to see pictures of exactly where you apply grease and sticky stuff. I'm told that modern pads don't need either. Of course, I asked that person, if he knew the ML's reputation.

3) maybe they are just wearing in. At any rate, I will post once I have experience with these.

·
Registered
ML-55 - 2000,
902 Posts
PAgid is OEM right??? Last time i went to the dealer I bought the OEM pads made by Jurid...so i guess all these are OEM.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
dyrtbag said:
Just thought i would pass along my story!

I have an 04 ML350 and stealership said my front pads were getting low and the light would come on shortly. 2 weeks later...light came on. Their quote $600 front only.

After researching other options...i found Mintex pads and Zimmerman rotors for 1/2 the cost as dealer and dealer said they would only charge labor.

That was 1 1/2 months ago.....brakes have SQUEAKED HORRIBLY like something you have never heard before. This started about 1 week after install.....and has not gotten any better.

Net net, i am now replacing all pads/rotors by dealer (they are giving me a break on labor).....but i have learned to NOT cut corners to save a couple $$$!!!!

Big lesson!!!!:(
I am on my second set of mintex pads, I changed them myself, with proper MB brake paste applied, they never squealed. Obviously, your dealer screwed you with not applying the brake paste, therefore, it squeals like pig. But then, I have hard time getting dealer to install non-OEM parts to my car and yet your dealer was so cooperative. Don't you think they are doing this to teach you a lesson?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Pads, pads, pads....

The OE pads are German made Pagids, which are also available on-line for about 35%-40% less than most dealers. Not dealer parts prices vary by area, and are set by the dealer..

Pagid owns at least (2) of the most common aftermarket MB pads - Mintex and Textar in that order of descending price and quality.

The Textar and Mintex sold in aftermarket are different materials from Pagid OE, and are assembled inn non-German countries for lower environmental and overhead costs.

At times, Pagid does use Texta or Mintax to ship OE spec pads to MOB only, when MB demand is over the German factory capacity - but note those OE Textr and/or Mintex from a delaer, have the "better" OE and not the aftermakret material.

Jurid is said by some to be owned by Honeywell, and Jurid is the OE pad for BMW... although it is also said by others Jurid is actually owned by Pagid as a altenrnate OE brand for non-MB customers.

I use Pagid by preference, I have used Mintex once or twice with no issues, on Mintex I have issues in the past with squeal.

I have never had a squeal issue with Pagid pads on ATE or Zimmerman slotted and cadium plated rotors.. I like cadium plateed rotors, for me they cut down on squeal after dirty or dusty driving.

The squeal sound is actually caused by the pad vibrating against the caliber, and the sound does not come from the pad vibrating against the disc.

I used to have squeal problems on stock rotors because I drive each of my cars, at different homes, on a infrequent basis... with cadium plated rotors I don't have that anymore..

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Supradude. How/where did you apply the MB paste? Is this the sticky stuff? Also, I noticed that my shim had an trapezoidal shaped hole in it so that the calipers actually pressed through the shim to the back of the pad. Since I had spread the paste over the entire surface of the pad (back), it meant that this paste was also sticking to the calipers. I thought that the calipers should have grease between them and the shim, not sticky stuff, but with the large hole, it's not my choice. I wonder if I should go back and buy new shims without the hole. Do you remember if your front shims have holes or is it a solid piece of sheet metal?

·
Registered
2000 ML55
73 Posts
I'm doing my front's tonight.

I got an anti-squeel paste from the auto parts shop, it is almost like a latex that bonds the shim to the pad and gives it a little layer of vibration absorption. I also got a tub of lubricant goo for the rails and pins that the pads slide on.

This will be my 3rd go-round with these compounds, pagid pads and brembo oem rotors and I get no squeel until the pads start getting ready to light the sensors.

I am VERY curious about the Redstuff Pads, please advise when you have some drive time on them..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bogie said:
Supradude. How/where did you apply the MB paste? Is this the sticky stuff? Also, I noticed that my shim had an trapezoidal shaped hole in it so that the calipers actually pressed through the shim to the back of the pad. Since I had spread the paste over the entire surface of the pad (back), it meant that this paste was also sticking to the calipers. I thought that the calipers should have grease between them and the shim, not sticky stuff, but with the large hole, it's not my choice. I wonder if I should go back and buy new shims without the hole. Do you remember if your front shims have holes or is it a solid piece of sheet metal?
on the back side of the pad, I didn't need to use shims. you only need to apply to the contact area where the piston will touch the back side of the pad. Also on area where it slides and will have contact with other metal (except the rotor side of course). I bought a bottle of MB brake paste, it's a greyish metallic color paste that will probably last 20 brake jobs. cost was $20 or so.
Also my ML has floating caliper while yours has fixed. I remember when I changed my buddy's 430, I applied the whole back side of the pad with paste, it never squealed after the brake job.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Will keep you posted on the redstuff, Trashman...

What rails? I keep hearing about them, but I didn't see any. Where are they? It's possible that mine are so dirty and stuck in place that I never saw that. that's what happened with my shims the first time.

Is there a cutout in your shim so that you paste gets on the caliper? There is one in mine. I wonder if this is a non-OEM part.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bogie said:
Will keep you posted on the redstuff, Trashman...

What rails? I keep hearing about them, but I didn't see any. Where are they? It's possible that mine are so dirty and stuck in place that I never saw that. that's what happened with my shims the first time.

Is there a cutout in your shim so that you paste gets on the caliper? There is one in mine. I wonder if this is a non-OEM part.
the rails are the 2 roll pins that you have to push out in order to pull the pads out. The oem pad also have the cut out on the shim (WIS calls it a niro panel). When you receive the new pads, the shims are already attached, aren't they? I would put some brake paste between the shim and the back side of the pad if you still experience squealling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts