Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,786 Posts
It seems like a lot until you start thinking about how many hours it takes to do that type of work, and what the hourly rate calculates out to be. Since new connectors are not available, he has to cut them open, rewire, the epoxy them back together. Plus a lot of other things can go wrong in the units, and he has to trace the issues. On some throttle bodies, motor brush holders can cause the brushes to hang up, melt the brushholder, and ruin the motor. New motors are not available anywhere. He figured out a way to prevent that from happening. Clutch coils on some units go bad, and have to be cut open and repaired. You're also paying for his knowledge in knowing what to do. Most of this stuff was never meant to be repaired, and he had to figure out how to do it.

Regarding Megasquirt, you have to remember that the LH engine injection system is also tied into the ignition (EZL), ASR/ABS, EGAS, and I think, ADS systems. None of them are designed to work standalone. So unless you eliminate or redesign those systems, various things won't function right, if at all. Plus, you'd need to figure out a way to tie both throttle bodies together, since only one side has a mechanical linkage system.

I'm not a Victor fanboy, I just appreciate what it takes to do that type of work.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It seems like a lot until you start thinking about how many hours it takes to do that type of work, and what the hourly rate calculates out to be. Since new connectors are not available, he has to cut them open, rewire, the epoxy them back together. Plus a lot of other things can go wrong in the units, and he has to trace the issues. On some throttle bodies, motor brush holders can cause the brushes to hang up, melt the brushholder, and ruin the motor. New motors are not available anywhere. He figured out a way to prevent that from happening. Clutch coils on some units go bad, and have to be cut open and repaired. You're also paying for his knowledge in knowing what to do. Most of this stuff was never meant to be repaired, and he had to figure out how to do it.

Regarding Megasquirt, you have to remember that the LH engine injection system is also tied into the ignition (EZL), ASR/ABS, EGAS, and I think, ADS systems. None of them are designed to work standalone. So unless you eliminate or redesign those systems, various things won't function right, if at all. Plus, you'd need to figure out a way to tie both throttle bodies together, since only one side has a mechanical linkage system.

I'm not a Victor fanboy, I just appreciate what it takes to do that type of work.
I agree with all of that.

But I've seen ppl MS the m120 so there's that. Either way, I'm gonna try and repair it my way first. If it doesn't work I'll go MS. Paying Victor would blow my budget for the race in October.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I think I might part this car out or sell it.

Though I have a plan and know exactly what I need to do to MS a m120 and get this car running in a modern manner, I simply do not have the time.

Single father, active duty military, traveling because work, school, two homes to maintain, and a projected deployment in 2020. I no longer have the capacity to spend any time on this car. I get about an hour a month of time to work on this thing and it's 3rd behind the rest of my cars.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts
I understand your reason Pirublues . It was one of the reasons i have taken the car i have now of Joe's hands as it would have taken for ever to repair it .
Repairing a W140 can be done Repairing a W140 with M120 V12 is a whole different Ball game & another level . A Multi scanner tool is a must have .
Just updated the last page .

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
395 Posts
Late to this thread. 2 things would have made me run and be able to predict this story from the outset.

#1 the wheels already tell you the priorities of the PO
#2 it's a 95

The difference between resurrecting a V12 w140 successfully versus unsuccessfully is a combination of 2 factors:

either it's a post-refresh 97 like mine with no wiring issues and modernized ignition, or your member name is Mava, there is no in between here. Search for threads from "Steve" who also threw in the towel.

If you want a 92-95 model, find the nicest one you can get that's already been gone through else maintained from day 1. Otherwise, find a post-refresh that has fewer gremlins like I did for 2 grand and then you will still dump $$$ ($18,000 for me at wholesale parts and labor rates) to get it right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up an S600 and I'm about to bring it back from death. I'll be posting in here for help and progress updates.

First thing, where can a brother get a service manual or anything on this car? It's a 95.

Also pics:
So how's the car running,it's been 10 months????

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So how's the car running,it's been 10 months????
It actually runs well. But, it's in limp mode because of ETA's. The only thing I cant get to work is that damn ETA and the AC to blow cold up front. It blows cold in the back. And I have a short somewhere that keeps my Convenience module from working.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Late to this thread. 2 things would have made me run and be able to predict this story from the outset.

#1 the wheels already tell you the priorities of the PO
#2 it's a 95

The difference between resurrecting a V12 w140 successfully versus unsuccessfully is a combination of 2 factors:

either it's a post-refresh 97 like mine with no wiring issues and modernized ignition, or your member name is Mava, there is no in between here. Search for threads from "Steve" who also threw in the towel.

If you want a 92-95 model, find the nicest one you can get that's already been gone through else maintained from day 1. Otherwise, find a post-refresh that has fewer gremlins like I did for 2 grand and then you will still dump $$$ ($18,000 for me at wholesale parts and labor rates) to get it right.
The PO died many years ago. And wheel choice are no indication of how well a person takes care of a car. Other than the harness issues this car looks very well taken cared of until he died, then it sat for years.

Please try not to make negative assumptions of a person based on their taste of wheels abd/or other aesthetic things that may not fit your taste. A major issue with the members of this forum is how judgmental and narrow minded a lot of forum members are. I don't know if that's because the average Mercedes owner is from older less accepting generations or something else but that shit is really the worst part of this forum.

Yes, these pre-96 w140 are a PITA. If I had more time to megasquirt it, I would. I have the skill and resources. But, I have a lot going on (single dad, military, two houses, upcoming deployment) and other more high priority projects like a Ponton, Jaguar, and Escalade. I'll just pass this on to help others as a parts car or for parts.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,786 Posts
Not sure why people badmouth the pre-96 models. Like any Mercedes of that era, they had wiring insulation issues that are fairly easily remedied if you are a DIYer, or have already been dealt with by prior owners. As long as you use quality caps and rotors, the ignition is no issue. I've got 94 and 95 S600 coupes, and they are both very reliable cars, once I took care of deferred maintenance using quality parts, not Chinese junk. I've used both on long trips with no issues. Both had sat for extended periods but neither had ignition issues, nor any corrosion of the caps and rotors. Later cars have coil packs that fail, so pick your poison. The early engine management system is not that hard to understand, and is probably easier to diagnose since ignition and fuel management are largely standalone.

What's key with any W140 is to either own or have access to the Mercedes STAR diagnostic system, WIS, EPC, STARfinder and STARtekinfo, so you can pinpoint any issue. Mechanics with W140 specific knowledge are uncommon in many areas, so being able to accurately diagnose problems yourself and doing your own homework on repairs here and on YouTube is essential, in my opinion.

Jon

61 - 69 of 69 Posts