Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,783 Posts
My car is def in limp mode. ABS and ASR lights on but no warning triangle. It revs all the way but flooring it while driving is very underwhelming, I'm pretty sure a w126 300sd is faster. Okay maybe not that slow but not v12 benz fast.

After some research I learned that the throttle bodies/ETA's should buzz or hum when the key is in the run position. Mine do not.

From my readings the ETA harness may need to be rebuilt or the EGAS module. Which might be something I'd venture to do myself.

I have a check engine light and hopefully a buddy can bring his SDS over next week to read the codes.
Definitely, the throttle bodies will buzz or sing when the ignition is on, engine off. Sounds like you are running only on the driver's side which is connected to the throttle cable. Check the fuses in the base module in the coffin box and make sure all are good.

Having neither throttle body buzz is unusual. Usually one side will go bad first.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey, I changed those fuses off of Martin's recommendation. And revisited them this morning, they're good.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts
Maybe some of my other engine pictures can help you , i have lots of these .
If your Throttle Actuators are not Humming with engine of but ignition on (cluster light on) ,then they are defective ,Send them to Vic Sanders on YouTube unless you know how to use a Soldering Iron .:thumbsup:

Watch this one .

Here you can study the hoses.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Maybe some of my other engine pictures can help you , i have lots of these .
If your Throttle Actuators are not Humming with engine of but ignition on (cluster light on) ,then they are defective ,Send them to Vic Sanders on YouTube unless you know how to use a Soldering Iron .:thumbsup:

I was looking at his vids and his website. Looking at his prices, hell nah, I'll do it myself! I'm trying to get this thing in racing condition for under $2000.

Good thing I'm very mechanically inclined. I just gotta figure out whats wrong. These cars are terribly complex but they're still just nuts, bolts, and wires.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts
I have never dealt with Vic , is he that expensive?.
I'm the same ,i do everything my self except tires & spray painting a whole car .:thumbsup:

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
I was looking at his vids and his website. Looking at his prices, hell nah, I'll do it myself! I'm trying to get this thing in racing condition for under $2000.

Good thing I'm very mechanically inclined. I just gotta figure out whats wrong. These cars are terribly complex but they're still just nuts, bolts, and wires.
yea, $2k is silly to pay for a rewire of two throttle bodies...

Learn to solder your self.....

If I were to race one of theses, I would get rid of the dual throttle body setup only that when the car goes into ASR you are F'd, but use ONLY ONE from XRT, and not use the idle control. Make a fiberglass/carbon air tunnel, and join both MAF's together.

I'd even use a custom turbo with all that money saved. These engines are cheap if you twist it up. At my buddies shop they did this for a V8 customer, but before the turbo was tuned the customer twisted the engine up(blew it up), so the engine was replaced because he was throttle happy when he was told to go easy...

You may have to custom make some headers....

M120 coil pack question - PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

I'd get you the company info on the turbo. They have excellent application support department.

I guarantee you will twist the weak 722.3 tranny, so you may have to use 1000Nm 722.6 with a aftermarket controller, but with 722.6 you can have paddle shifter to bring the child out of you :grin. You can do a 722.6 for a reasonable cost...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_5G-Tronic_transmission

With your skills you can rebuild 722.6. S500/S600 trannys from a W220/W215. The trannies are all under $300 at the self serve junk yards. The money is in the M120 bell housing and the controller..

Something to think about...

A little more money may put you in the winners-circle

Martin

·
W140 Moderator
7,590 Posts

Then just Buy this gadget & be done with it ,1st Place is Guaranteed ,lol.:thumbsup:

Check that small cheap Price out ,wow.:devil
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-R129-SL600-SL73-AMG-Pagani-Zonda-M120-V12-throttle-body-kit-ITB/153399192547

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Lol yeah it's not a super competitive race. Basically try to build or buy a race car for under $2000 all in. Here's a link to it, 2000 challenge

I do want to build a w220 or w215 biturbo s600 for the Texas Mile race. E85, bigger intercooler, upgraded turbo wheels, and a wicked tune.

I'm like you, I do everything besides tires and paint. I know how to solder and have a sweet little soldering station.

I'm honestly considering removing the emissions stuff, and running the ignition and fuel using megasquirt on a wasted spark setup. I'd run mustang throttle bodies on each intake manifold. Something to think about, I have a friend who build megasquirt harnesses and ecu's from scratch for less than Vic charges to rebuild ETA's and EGAS together. Buuuuuuut after this race event I want to tastefully restomod the S600.

·
W140 Moderator
7,590 Posts
I need someone to steal the blueprints to that!
I have one of those here for Tripple Carburator setup ,came of a Ferrari Dino , Dumped behind the garage somewhere .

Just imagine having that Ebay Gadget on the M120 & flooring it ,Szwush ,what was that ? A Plane A Train or an Automobile,lol.:thumbsup:

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Anyone know of any video walk thru's for rebuilding the ETA's and EGAS?

I'm probably going to get into them next week. If they're junk, mustang throttle bodies and megasquirt, it'll be!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sorry about that. I'll edit when I'm on a computer and not my phone.

Anyway, there's info on rewiring the throttle bodies on v12uberalles.org. The only one besides Victor who knows anything about EGAS modules is MAVA. Hopefully, it's just your wiring on the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thank you Sir.

It doesnt look like too bad of a job.

If my ETA's arent humming with the ignition on is that an EGAS issue?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's either throttle body wiring, or the EGAS. Wiring can take out the EGAS. You can get a used good EGAS for a lot less than doing a conversion to another system.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My friend sent me his c3 sds and I was able to pull some codes off the car.
Of course I don't know what they mean yet but here they are:

EFP:
15, Control module EFP N4/1
54, Actuator EFP M16/3
80, Stop Lamp Switch S9/1

ASR:
30, CAN: No reception from EFP N4/1 or fault in EFP

I'm sure there's more fault codes but that's all I had time for.

That system is interesting to use on these older Mercedes, not!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thank you.

That victor guy is super expensive to repair things. I do wonder how much he charges to just bench test.

Sounds like I'll be digging into this harness or running the engine on megasquirt lol.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts