Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
318 Posts
Can’t beat the black interior in the w140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got it to start but it stalled. Both fuel pumps cut on when trying to start but it doesn't seem to be getting fuel to the injectors. In the video was the only time I was able to get it to start like that. Every attempt after that it wouldn't start. If I pump the throttle while starting it almost starts but gives out.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts
Check the Fuel Pump Relay in the Trunk (Red Arrow in pic below) & all fuses & the Fuel Pressure Regulator that it is not clogged up (Fuel Filter recently changed ?) .
The Reason the car starts briefly is because the fumes of petrol that reach the engine make it briefly start ,obviously either a relay malfunction or the petrol pump (pump's as some have two) ,start with the relay 1st as it is inexpensive , even one that is in your 2nd car like a Ford etc with the same design pins will work ,it doesn't have to be MB 140 ( done that been there) then jump to the more expensive parts if the relay is ok ,i got two dumped here for spares come get em (lol) . Have you checked on that Fuse in the Module Box in the engine bay yet (as mentioned in other Thread ) ?. :thumbsup:

Some Pictures you might be interested in .:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Check the Fuel Pump Relay in the Trunk (Red Arrow in pic below) & all fuses & the Fuel Pressure Regulator that it is not clogged up (Fuel Filter recently changed ?) .
The Reason the car starts briefly is because the fumes of petrol that reach the engine make it briefly start ,obviously either a relay malfunction or the petrol pump (pump's as some have two) ,start with the relay 1st as it is inexpensive , even one that is in your 2nd car like a Ford etc with the same design pins will work ,it doesn't have to be MB 140 ( done that been there) then jump to the more expensive parts if the relay is ok ,i got two dumped here for spares come get em (lol) . Have you checked on that Fuse in the Module Box in the engine bay yet (as mentioned in other Thread ) ?. :thumbsup:

Some Pictures you might be interested in .:wink
I checked the fuses first thing lol. They were all good.

The relays are good, pumps work, there's fuel getting to the injectors, and my plugs are soaked with fuel. I ran out of daylight, will continue another day. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge to see what my fuel pressure is. And recheck how much spark I'm getting or not getting lol

·
Registered
'95 S600
426 Posts
1st pic - fuel tank purge valve. 2nd - air pump valve block. 3rd - Vacuum line connection which goes to purge valve iirc (blatant vacuum leak right there)

Looks like many potential vacuum leaks to me unless lines\nipples have been removed or capped off on the intake manifold. Is the air pump still installed or has it been removed?.

Either way it looks like bubba has been playing with the engine from those pics.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Updated my post 9. I had the wronggg link..

Martin

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I got the car running and driving last night. The engine runs really smooth. I do think it's down on power, so I'll be looking into that next.

Some concerns:

- When the car is running there's a little white smoke coming from the driver side behind or under the throttle body, kind of smells like burning plastic.
- ASR light is on.
- Car is under powered for what it is.
- Windows, dash lights, and a few other interior electrical do not work. Fuse box had some missing fuses so I'm going to start there.
- These wheels and tires HAVE TO GO!

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,786 Posts
There are a multitude of vacuum connections behind that throttle body on the intake manifold. A leak there could explain loss of power since air is bypassing the MAF sensor. You could also be burning off some spilled oil.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh, and also there's the EGR connection on the underside of the intake manifold under the throttle body, and the breather hose on the underside of the throttle body itself. Any of those being loose or disconnected create huge vacuum leaks. Below is a picture of that area of the underside of the intake.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Since you have the 722.3 transmission, it normally starts off in 2nd gear. You have to put the gear lever in position "B" to start I first. There is also a model somewhere in the other forms to force it to start in first. Makes a significant difference.

Also, the M120 engine really comes on in the high rpm range. Acts almost like a supercharger is kicking in.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Since you have the 722.3 transmission, it normally starts off in 2nd gear. You have to put the gear lever in position "B" to start I first. There is also a model somewhere in the other forms to force it to start in first. Makes a significant difference.

Also, the M120 engine really comes on in the high rpm range. Acts almost like a supercharger is kicking in.
I've driven a perfect running one and used that as a basis.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
These are the emissions parts missing vac lines. These would result in the car feeling so underpowered?

If anyone have a diagram of it all that'll be great. Or pics where there's are ran to.

Or even better, has anyone deleted all this emissions crap?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The diagram should be on the air plenum cover near the coffin box. If there are any vacuum leaks, it won't run well.

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
My car is def in limp mode. ABS and ASR lights on but no warning triangle. It revs all the way but flooring it while driving is very underwhelming, I'm pretty sure a w126 300sd is faster. Okay maybe not that slow but not v12 benz fast.

After some research I learned that the throttle bodies/ETA's should buzz or hum when the key is in the run position. Mine do not.

From my readings the ETA harness may need to be rebuilt or the EGAS module. Which might be something I'd venture to do myself.

I have a check engine light and hopefully a buddy can bring his SDS over next week to read the codes.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts