Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
318 Posts
WIS off eBay probably $30 works a treat and will be your best friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now what's WIS and how does anyone find anything specific on eBay? That place always defeats me.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
318 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,786 Posts
Now what's WIS and how does anyone find anything specific on eBay? That place always defeats me.
WIS is the factory service manual for most all models of Mercedes. There is a learning curve, but it has a lot of info. It only works on Windows.

Go also to http://manual.startekinfo.com for electrical test procedures for most systems on the car.

http://benz.ehost.tj has the wiring diagrams, electrical component locations, etc. It ONLY works properly in Internet Explorer, NOT Chrome or any other browser. Also, go to www.autodesk.com/products/design-review/download, download Design Review, and install it. The wiring diagrams should then just open in Internet Explorer. If you have a Mac, there is a complicated workaround for that, but IE in Windows just works.

The Do it Yourself section in the stickies at the top of this forum has a ton of info, fix it articles, etc. Search also works very well in this forum. Very little has not been seen and fixed by someone here before. I brought my own S600 Coupe back from the terminally comatose.

I'll warn you, that any extensive work will likely require use of the Mercedes SDS test system. Many of us have bought Chinese clones of the system. There is a lot of junk out there, but there is one system we can point you toward that has worked well. Best $400 you will ever spend as a DIYer. We can point you to the system if you want. Your car is in a transition area between use of the 38 pin connector and the start of OBD2. Even if your car has OBD2, it will only test generic engine parameters. Everything else must be tested using SDS. There is a way to get blink codes out of the 38 pin connector. It's laborious, and can't give you live data, but it's a cheap workaround until you decide to buy SDS. When you buy a China clone, the harddisk you get will also include WIS, EPC (parts manual), Starfinder, etc.

As far as eBay goes, start your search with "W140", then whatever you want to find. I've bought a lot of stuff there. There are some ridiculous prices on there for W140 parts, but others advertise at reasonable prices. Also, ask in this forum buy and sell area for whatever you need.

Victor of restoreyourMercedes.com has a ton of videos on common W140 issues, especially engine issues. He is on YouTube as "vsandvs". Give them a look. Mercedessource.com also has a ton of videos on YouTube under "Mercedessource". Theirs are more general Mercedes info, but info on SLS (a subset of the ADS you have) and other general issues, can be invaluable.

STAY AWAY from cheap parts, especially from Uro Parts, Meyle, and other off brand vendors, especially for suspension parts, unless you like doing things over and over. Stick with Lemforder, TRW, Moog, or genuine Mercedes. Febi-Bilstein can be iffy, sometimes. Most vendors are outsourcing to China, and good German quality is getting harder to find. FCP Euro carries mostly quality stuff, and their guarantee is for life on anything they sell. Autohaus AZ and Rockauto sometimes have good parts. If you become a Mercedes club member, most dealers will give 10-15% off parts. Most dealers know nothing about 140s anymore, so don't expect much in the way of service. My local dealer even refused to do an alignment on my car. Your experience may vary.

MAVA, one of the moderators here, is THE transmission guru if you have issues there.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you, and welcome.

·
Registered
'95 S600
426 Posts
Even though most of my W140 is OEM i disagree about the Meyle comment when it comes to certain products.

Speaking from experience their suspension components are usually fine for the $ and have decent longevity. They aren't even much cheaper than OEM in many cases and sometimes they are the only financially viable alternative ive found eg front rear subframe bushings.
Plenty of people on here using Meyle HD LCA bushings which are quite possibly a better choice than OEM Lemforder ones.

Meyle are certainly above URO in terms of quality and easily on the same level as Febi-Bilstein stuff that isnt an OEM part. Sure go genuine\OEM if money isnt an issue or you are going to rack up the k's\have it for life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Even though most of my W140 is OEM i disagree about the Meyle comment when it comes to certain products.

Speaking from experience their suspension components are usually fine for the $ and have decent longevity. They aren't even much cheaper than OEM in many cases and sometimes they are the only financially viable alternative ive found eg front rear subframe bushings.

Plenty of people on here using Meyle HD LCA bushings which are quite possibly a better choice than OEM Lemforder ones.

Meyle are certainly above URO in terms of quality and easily on the same level as Febi-Bilstein stuff that isnt an OEM part. Sure go genuine\OEM if money isnt an issue or you are going to rack up the k's\have it for life.

Febi-bilstein is the same as just bilstein?

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Every W140 is worth saving... Great find..

I just finished saving my beater from extinction - It took three years!!!

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2702953-mava-needs-help-p0455-gas-cap.html

Chris, just saved this one too...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/3006075-i-have-taken-over-trevors-eg.html

I just found out today that my cylinder #2 on my work-horse MB wagon quit, but I will do what it takes to save it too...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/3013218-merry-christmas-misfire.html

Martin

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Before you go nuts with testing check your engine wiring as these 93/94/95 are known to have baddddddd engine wiring, so all bets are off in testing if you find crumbling wires as you need to fix those first!!!

Here is a post with links of DIY rebuild harnesses... Post 12

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/3008421-lot-electrical-problems-sl600-95-a.html

You really have to go in and inspect the wire harnesses and wires.

A)Remove the throttle bodies open the covers

B)Remove the center troff and inspect the wires in the bundles on the engine

C) The MAF you need to look at troff traveling on top of the engine, and fish out the MAF wiring to the ECU's, and grounds. Look at the ECU wiring...

Really it is simple, but like everything else in the world. It takes time....

Martin

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,590 Posts

·
Registered
95 S600
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WIS is the factory service manual for most all models of Mercedes. There is a learning curve, but it has a lot of info. It only works on Windows.

Go also to http://manual.startekinfo.com for electrical test procedures for most systems on the car.

StarFinder has the wiring diagrams, electrical component locations, etc. It ONLY works properly in Internet Explorer, NOT Chrome or any other browser. Also, go to www.autodesk.com/products/design-review/download, download Design Review, and install it. The wiring diagrams should then just open in Internet Explorer. If you have a Mac, there is a complicated workaround for that, but IE in Windows just works.

The Do it Yourself section in the stickies at the top of this forum has a ton of info, fix it articles, etc. Search also works very well in this forum. Very little has not been seen and fixed by someone here before. I brought my own S600 Coupe back from the terminally comatose.

I'll warn you, that any extensive work will likely require use of the Mercedes SDS test system. Many of us have bought Chinese clones of the system. There is a lot of junk out there, but there is one system we can point you toward that has worked well. Best $400 you will ever spend as a DIYer. We can point you to the system if you want. Your car is in a transition area between use of the 38 pin connector and the start of OBD2. Even if your car has OBD2, it will only test generic engine parameters. Everything else must be tested using SDS. There is a way to get blink codes out of the 38 pin connector. It's laborious, and can't give you live data, but it's a cheap workaround until you decide to buy SDS. When you buy a China clone, the harddisk you get will also include WIS, EPC (parts manual), Starfinder, etc.

As far as eBay goes, start your search with "W140", then whatever you want to find. I've bought a lot of stuff there. There are some ridiculous prices on there for W140 parts, but others advertise at reasonable prices. Also, ask in this forum buy and sell area for whatever you need.

Victor of restoreyourMercedes.com has a ton of videos on common W140 issues, especially engine issues. He is on YouTube as "vsandvs". Give them a look. Mercedessource.com also has a ton of videos on YouTube under "Mercedessource". Theirs are more general Mercedes info, but info on SLS (a subset of the ADS you have) and other general issues, can be invaluable.

STAY AWAY from cheap parts, especially from Uro Parts, Meyle, and other off brand vendors, especially for suspension parts, unless you like doing things over and over. Stick with Lemforder, TRW, Moog, or genuine Mercedes. Febi-Bilstein can be iffy, sometimes. Most vendors are outsourcing to China, and good German quality is getting harder to find. FCP Euro carries mostly quality stuff, and their guarantee is for life on anything they sell. Autohaus AZ and Rockauto sometimes have good parts. If you become a Mercedes club member, most dealers will give 10-15% off parts. Most dealers know nothing about 140s anymore, so don't expect much in the way of service. My local dealer even refused to do an alignment on my car. Your experience may vary.

MAVA, one of the moderators here, is THE transmission guru if you have issues there.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you, and welcome.

Dude I really appreciate it. This is my 5th Mercedes and most modern Mercedes by far! I knew a lot of that stuff already but I def forgot most of it lol. I've been meaning to buy a clone SDS for awhile now. Been waiting until I buy my buddy w220 biturbo s600 that I'll be trying to squeeze 800+ horsepower out of. Texas mile!

I hate using eBay lol. But I just ordered that WIS last night. Thanks!

When the s600 is up and running (almost there) it'll be seeing some track time, Grassroots Motorsports events, and standing mile events.

Again, I appreciate you.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
836 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the lead. I just bought one! For only $15 if it is worth the risk. The standard shipping is free!

Exactly like the dealership, look up parts for you car and repairs.

It’s can be confusing to install but the guy will respond to your emails.

Now I can maintain my own Mercedes myself. Just did all the front ball joints on my w211 next repairs are on my r129 then eventually the w140

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Two different companies febi bilstein doesn’t own bilstein, similar names different companies and parent companies.

Bilstein is an oem manufacturer for Mercedes.

No. Per the Febi-Bilstein website, they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Bilstein. Read the website. Bilstein owns them, and a couple of other companies.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Take a look at the bottom of this page:

https://www.febi.com/en/brand/about-febi/

Jon

Febi bilstein is owner by bilstein group the umbrella brand of Ferdinand Bilstein GmbhB + Co. KG combines the traditional brands febi, SWAG & Blueprint. On the bilstein group website there is no mention of the shock absorber brand bilstein.

Bilstein shock absorbers is owned by Thyssenkrupp AG.

I’m not sure where you are getting the information saying that bilstein owns febi bilstein ?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Febi bilstein is owner by bilstein group the umbrella brand of Ferdinand Bilstein GmbhB + Co. KG combines the traditional brands febi, SWAG & Blueprint. On the bilstein group website there is no mention of the shock absorber brand bilstein.

Bilstein shock absorbers is owned by Thyssenkrupp AG.

I’m not sure where you are getting the information saying that bilstein owns febi bilstein ?

Got it. A DIFFERENT Bilstein group owns Febi-Bilstein. No wonder I was confused.

I wondered how come Febi-Bilstein sometimes has questionable products when Bilstein shock absorbers have a great reputation. Now I know.

Thanks for correcting me.

Jon

1 - 20 of 69 Posts